Leaks in game 1c/2c

D

davidhoyle107

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys. So, I recently posted about my bankroll management. I was losing money due to raising stakes after loses. That problem was fixed and I've been winning consistently and steadily since. Here's my problem. I am losing more than I'd like, despite being profitable. I feel I might be making a lot more if I was more selective or something. Most of my profit comes from traps and all ins, but I lose a few here and there. I normally play 15 percent of hands tops till I get a feel for the table, then mix in suited connectors, A K Q high suited,etc to trap, mixed with Broadway and premium. Is this the best approach?

Diegol

Diegol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, something i read about this is that in the small stakes is not very profitable play trapping, however you could have profit from that way but many times if you play honest they will pay you anyways

D

davidhoyle107

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, something i read about this is that in the small stakes is not very profitable play trapping, however you could have profit from that way but many times if you play honest they will pay you anyways

This is true. I'd say 75% to 90% is raising. Then trap the maniacs, who do exist.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's been about 25 years, but a professor once told me, if you want to speaking intelligently about something, or know something, you can't speak in generalities.

What you're saying is way too general to provide any advice of value. If you want to get better at holdem, then read as much as you can about it. I have a free book available you can get. Post specific hands you've played, and also provide feedback on others hands. Join a group of poker players at your level to study the game.

That's the best way to improve.

D

davidhoyle107

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's been about 25 years, but a professor once told me, if you want to speaking intelligently about something, or know something, you can't speak in generalities.

What you're saying is way too general to provide any advice of value. If you want to get better at holdem, then read as much as you can about it. I have a free book available you can get. Post specific hands you've played, and also provide feedback on others hands. Join a group of poker players at your level to study the game.

That's the best way to improve.

Okay. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. Here's my specific problem, I feel in the long run I make money. BUT, I lose some along the way. Specifically in the first 50 hands at a table. After that I start winning. This is generally my "tight phase" before I loosen up. My question is more about strategy than specific hands. What type of vpip should I have early on at a table vs after 200 hands. What problems could be caused by playing less than 50 hands specifically vs 200. Note, this isn t just variance. It's pretty much 90% of tables I play at I lose some before I double up 2 or 3 times. Im trying to avoid that initial loss.

J

JohnTCook

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i mean i agree playing conservative when new at first to a table is a good approach

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
15% is very tight if that # represents your VPIP

D

davidhoyle107

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
15% is very tight if that # represents your VPIP

Could this cause me to lose money? I'm debating trying to move to 20-25 starting out and staying in the 20-30 range. I may be a bit too tight.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A VPIP of 15% just means you will be forgoing some of the more marginal +EV spots.

If you play about 20/17/6 (VPIP/PFR/3 Bet) you should be playing solid poker and avoiding tough spots.

D

davidhoyle107

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A VPIP of 15% just means you will be forgoing some of the more marginal +EV spots.

If you play about 20/17/6 (VPIP/PFR/3 Bet) you should be playing solid poker and avoiding tough spots.
Thanks. If you don't mind, I know position is important. How should this number change from say utg to the button or cutoff? I know more from the button cutoff. So this means I should only call 3% of my hands.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's not how it works. Those #s are averages of all positions.

Individual positions might look like this:

UTG ~11%
UTG+1~14%
Cut off ~20%
Button~25%

As you go towards the button, the % of hands that you play should go up as you have better position.

D

davidhoyle107

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's not how it works. Those #s are averages of all positions.

Individual positions might look like this:

UTG ~11%
UTG+1~14%
Cut off ~20%
Button~25%

As you go towards the button, the % of hands that you play should go up as you have better position.
Thanks. That's how I thought it worked. Just checking.

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HEllo. From my experience from micro stakes its not good to trap as somebody above mentioned. At micro stakes, your rasises have no value at all. bluffing is almost unreal due to the fact that 90% of players will call you with basically anything. Its better to be a bit tighter here.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HEllo. From my experience from micro stakes its not good to trap as somebody above mentioned. At micro stakes, your rasises have no value at all. Bluffing is almost unreal due to the fact that 90% of players will call you with basically anything. Its better to be a bit tighter here.

Really the only value a raise has is to build the pot when you have a good hand. I agree, most of the time on a .01/.02 game you are getting called by the phone book.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. leaks in 1/2 are ussualy a problem in ABC, so check you basics.
2. you did not spec. FR or 6max but I wil assume FR. Here is the thing: having a good range does not mean you are playing that range good. a lot of times a win from people who just cant fold AKs on a low bord no matter the price.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At this limit you just won't get anybody to fold, most on these limits play ATC style/ Any 2 cards, you can't bluff or bet them of the pot. Tou are going to have some swings no matter what. People will chase the gut shot, to a set, to runner runner. You can be profitable, but when you pre-flop raise with AK and the flop comes K,7,2 and and you were called with K,2 or K,7. You can't play fancy and they do pay you off really good when you are holding the goods.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
VPIP is just a number. You could play more hands, if you are comfortable, and you are capable of navigating profitably postflop.

What John said is accurate. The questions you are asking are too vague.

If you aren't that experienced, playing super tight is fine. Playing tight means you'll get into less "icky" spots, and you will almost always have your opponents range f***** preflop. If you play a wider range, you really have to be a good hand reader to know when to get away postflop.

It seems like you are fixated on short term results a bit too much. Poker is a grind. It is tough. The way we beat the game long-term is by simply making better decisions, and playing better cards than our opponents, at these stakes.

You can't go wrong playing tight. I don't think anyone is going to exploit you for it. Most of them aren't paying attention. So, IMO, just keep doing what you're doing, gain experience, learn how to hand read better, and eventually, you play more hands. But you don't have to. You can just play straight up ABC and win.

D

davidhoyle107

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. leaks in 1/2 are ussualy a problem in ABC, so check you basics.
2. you did not spec. FR or 6max but I wil assume FR. Here is the thing: having a good range does not mean you are playing that range good. a lot of times a win from people who just cant fold AKs on a low bord no matter the price.

It's 6 max. I agree with Ak or aq. They can be trouble and I normally just raise regular unless I hit something.

D

davidhoyle107

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
VPIP is just a number. You could play more hands, if you are comfortable, and you are capable of navigating profitably postflop.

What John said is accurate. The questions you are asking are too vague.

If you aren't that experienced, playing super tight is fine. Playing tight means you'll get into less "icky" spots, and you will almost always have your opponents range f***** preflop. If you play a wider range, you really have to be a good hand reader to know when to get away postflop.

It seems like you are fixated on short term results a bit too much. Poker is a grind. It is tough. The way we beat the game long-term is by simply making better decisions, and playing better cards than our opponents, at these stakes.

You can't go wrong playing tight. I don't think anyone is going to exploit you for it. Most of them aren't paying attention. So, IMO, just keep doing what you're doing, gain experience, learn how to hand read better, and eventually, you play more hands. But you don't have to. You can just play straight up ABC and win.

Agreed. I am fixated very strongly in short run.

Top 10 Games