Las Vegas cash game journey

N

NeverTooLate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Patrice, yes I try to write somewhat authentic posts. That's why I chose to write here rather in some other more popular forum, so that I could feel likey anonymity stays safe and I can write without some of my poker friends for example recognizing who I am.

It's not that it would matter too much, but I have always being extremely private and just being "out there" stresses me as an idea.

I also have some Spelling mistakes in my posts because I never reread them before posting, cause I know if I reread I will start to think something like "uh, maybe I shouldn't say this it sounds a bit arrogant/silly", or whatever else it may be.

It is interesting how a small post/complement from a complete random stranger gives a weird shot of dopamine in this blog for me. I can really see how being a social influencer is a crazy scary world where you can go to both directions really fast with hate or support.

Honestly, I really don't know what is my point for writing this stuff down, since I also am writing a more private pen&paper journal too. At first the point was to get some shirt of quick fix to find my motivation in Las Vegas, where I was sailing in real deep waters for the most of the time really.

But, I guess looking back at this later on can be kind of fun, see if there is some development happening. That is why being authentic is or would be good too, to really see how the mood and tone changes as things change too.

Honestly I haven't vented here at all about the lowest points where I am tilted and frustrated, and the energy change doesn't really reflect through the posts.

It's more like a news anchor telling good and bad news with the same straight face, maybe flashing a smirk or slight sadness in the facial expression.

Shame is really one of the reason why I do t do it. We have discussed about shame a huge amount with my therapist, and it seems to be a pivotal topic in the way I process my life.

So, it is hard for me really show the monkey tilter publicly, or even the average grind day where I shit on every single villain I have outloud, while playing all by myself.

Good example would be Daniel Negreanu when he was tilting while playing wsop online, but on top of that, the hate is largely geared towards the opponents.

One day before my session, I was meditating with waking up, and the meditation had "loving & kindness" as a theme. The task was to think a bout a person who is important to me, and genuinely wish them well. "May you be free from suffering". "May you prosper and live a happy life".

What I did instead of choosing a loved one, I chose to think about all the regs collectively that I always despise at tables. Turns out, it was one of the best grind sessions after that.

I think there is something more deep rooted in this aggression that I have in the tables actually, and I am happy I wrote about this. Maybe it has something to do with my self image? Why would I hate my villains so hard who are doing the exact thing that I am doing?

Need to reflect on this a bit more.

Today almost no poker, some cash games, plo5 and nl200.

Seems to me right now that if it's possible to find a soft no limit game, I can probably reach higher wr than in plo5.

But, in general good nl games are very hard to find, regs play with rmtheir randomizers and old school street wars are hard to come by.

Was playing nl200 hu yesterday though, and it was so much fun, the reg was in my opinion quite bad, and, well since I make some retard plays, at least plays that look absolutely bonkers outside, I usually do get action and this was no exception, he kept reloading, all the while when I thought that he was the spot in the match. I guess that is how all HU battles go, both players think they are the man. Maybe others than Polk vs Negreanu :D.

Had some interesting spots where I felt like I made some good progress with my "gut reads". For example:

I opened AQ0 2bb, villain 3b to 12bb, I 4bet to ~27bb, villain semisnap jams 125bigs or so.

He had 3b earlier to8-10bb, never more. Earlier he just called my 4b, most likely weaker Ax thank AK (we went to showdown my AK won, but I lost the hh so didn't see his hand but unpaired that lost to A hi)

So I folded, didn't think this guy was able to find a bluffshove with his timing, and he was bad enough to adjust his sizing based on his holding, which happens a lot in this network.

Can be good against fishes I guess, but I will exploit harder than anyone on your tendencies, so against me you will either own me if you can exploit me better than I exploit you, or you will get absolutely wrecked EV wise by like going for thin value with a small block and I bluff raise 100% of my air and clickback my thin value .

Off to bed soon and tomorrow I will play some sort of a mtt session, depends how I feel health wise. I would love to grind a full mtt session but I won't force it if it feels too much.

Also I have that super good run, where 4 or less tables would be very optimal so don't mind too much if I can't go bonkers with regging.

N

NeverTooLate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Made my first ever, bet 100€ on Faze clan to win vs G2 @ 2,36. I support G2 but I feel like 2.36 is +EV, I watched all G2 matches and most Faze matches, JKS is better than RAIN and is making Faze clan a much stronger team.

Ropz is a savage, think he is maybe the best rifle right now in the world, at least a good as Niko and his for in semis was much better nikos. Karrigan is better than AleksiB, Monesy can be amazing but is still inconsistent and there is no guarantee he will show up in good form. Broky has also played well so far.

Sadly thew final starts when poker is at its peak so not sure how much I can watch but I will keep an eye at on the game at least.

G2 starts strong, 3-1 wish I had more $ on skrill think FAZE will come and crush on CT side and win the map

Oh lord, 10-2 first half for G2 and I didn't quite trust my read on G2 having very bad T sides, (was thinking of betting more after the first half but shitted my pants) well FAZE takes it down after winning like 10 rounds in a row.

Super tough for G2 to comeback to map 2 from giving away almost a locked map win. Though it was FAZE map pick so techically they should win it. But yeah, I feel confident that faze will lift the trophy (now I do, 20 minutes ago i did not :D)

N

NeverTooLate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Long time since the last post. I didn't play almost any poker at all for 3 months, excluding maybe 2-4 short sessions. I had a mania, and I ended up in a hospital for a couple days to cool off my brain and get medications. Turns out I have bipolar disorder which kinda fits al my "symptoms" perfectly.

Also it explains a bit why my poker career has been somewhat of a struggle comparing to the "talent" / "skillset" I think I have.

I might write more about the bipolar thing later on. Lately I have been feeling down or depressed which is kinds of standard after the mania and getting used to the bipolar meds also "numbs" the highs so evertything feels kind of bleak.

I bought ah house some time ago and now my bankroll is microscopic, my entire liferoll is aroud 1,5k, so I should eat and pay bills and play poker with this.

I started grinding again 5 days ago, I doubled my BR in 3 days, then punted most in cash games, then I played a snday session of breakeven, and ran a stack in plo5 to 2,2k from like 200d. Well we all knwo what happened then 2 hands and I left the table with 0usd.

Today I counted my bankroll, and I had still little over 300€left from 600€, that I had when I started 5-6 days ago, so not that bad after all. So I have some monay obv left in the bank and I deporited 500 to have as my poker br, my aim was to not reload, kinda make it clear to me that if I mess up I will just go down to like 1d games if necessary, the bounceback comes fast regardless of the abi if the skill is there.

I have been running around 20bb/100 for 10k hands so game is ok, could do a ton better still, with some clear mistakes going on here and there.

Anyway, I made this post to get some motivation to stay on the right track on these crucial times where brm and solid poker would be welcomed!

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wishing you lots of success! I find it motivating too, not only to hear about the success but also about the daily grind. After all, poker is most about patience, isn't it?

N

NeverTooLate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks fot he support. 100% agree, patience is a skill that is often overlooked and good thing you brought it up, I will try to do more work on it.

Yesterday I had another C- type of poker day, I started playing very unplanningly out of an impulse, and ended up giving my stacks in spots that are quite easy to lay down when playing A-B game.

Afte rthe MTTs I played some cash again and lost there.

Goals for the foreseeable future are:

No cash games of any kind, holdem or PLO for the near future, at least until I am stable with my bankroll (10k+)

BRM of at least 100 abis and no games that are more than 3x ABI are allowed.

I wrote these spontaneously straight away from the head, I will maybe try to disect them a little more so that those wont be just words online that I forget in 30 minutes.

Right now bankroll stands at
167,72€
76,12usd = 240.4€

So That is ABI of 2.4max and 7,5 max buy in.

I wrote my self a Pre-game check list to make sure I start my sessions in a good tone after some outdoors and with good nutrition etc. I keep it on my desk and thats the only thing I have there, I find having a clean work space and a clean apt in general makes a huge difference to my focus and overall mood.

Hopefully these changes will set the rocket to the right axis in the y-x chart!

haracsir15

haracsir15

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone,

This is my first post in this forum. I am at Las Vegas right now to play mainly Ash games, and possibly some WSOP events.

I am a full time player from Europe, but right now things are looking really dark in my poker career (in terms of bankroll and risk of ruin).

So, I thought that maybe I will starts small diary to write about my journey from the lowest stakes hopefully to a healthy bankroll again.

I will head out to the strip now to play some 1/2 or 1/3, and possibly write some more details as after I sit down.

GL all and thanks if you read!:)
God Luck in Vegas! :)

N

NeverTooLate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Haracsir though I'm not in vegas, was there last year and hopefully I can get back to playing some live games in the US this year!

Ok let's be honest, I played cash games again, this time I left with 4x my investment which was kind of good thing but clearly I have a problem with my brm & game selection and need to work on it.

I played better yesterday and felt like didn't get much tilt and was able to find more of the old "feel" that I had last year and during winter for spots. I guess it's variance that easily messes the head when some exploit doesn't work 10 times in a row and villains just have it and raise over the top of block bets or something lke that.

I put a ton of action to sell in GG today and plan to do so in the future too to narrow the buy in gap, will see how it sells out, in the past I have always sold out 2fig buy-ins with aa decent markup.

N

NeverTooLate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting absolutely wrecked in the tables. It's been hard to deal with with my bankroll situation, normally I think I could just shrug it off. Also, these micro stakes are annoying compared to like 10-50 games, because people are so insanely passive but, you also have guys who do random stuff on top of it, so it's kind of harder to make up your mind in some spots. Then I get tilted when I make that "close" call in a spot where I am actually dead vs a passive microreg.

Thinking of looking for a short term stake too, will see. for a 50 50 cut would need to get abi increased as well. 10-50€ games even with a slave 50-50 cut could be an ok deal.

That being said my game is on point, getting better and better, today especially I fought through the shit and my decision making was fine. All I need is one FT to go deep and I am ready to build. Also I have stayed away from cashgames now. I am actually up from MTT since start, and punted to cash, so, clearly not much to worry about besides the fact that my liferoll is closing in on 0.

N

NeverTooLate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Screenshot 48

Not much to report, getting wrecked in the tables, also not playing my best, seems like every bet w air gets called or raised and most valuehands squeeze like 2bb of value. Have been spite calling passive villains since I get raised so often that it gets tilting and also gets in your head. Above graph since I came back from my long break. Decent volume surely it'll turn soon and once I get some confidence I can kept back to executing my strategy that works, and study too.

Need some money to buy HRC to look up preflop and ICM stuff. So for now I will just play till I have some leeway. Also applied to a backing stable but most likely I will pass due to the long term commitment that they / most stables have. No point in sacrificing 12 or more months of profit cuts just because I'm in a bad spot now.

Been watching WSOP main and kinda makes my soul cry to see all these plays the so called "crushers" do, while I'm sitting here grinding 5 abi. For example the guy with a western hat dan smith I think he played quite subpar, and the commentators kept praising him, saying stuff like how he had a rough luck and was hands tied to the beats or something.

Like he 3b called QQ vs EP open from old gent yesterday in a spot where IT would be very questionable to ask if the guy is never ever 4 betting other than KK+.

Also Zhang was very interesting, from the very get go seemed like heas "beastiness" is just a shooting star that will probably come to an end once the deck isn't favoring as much and also villains are not super weak. Was entertaining to watch him for sure though.

Hmm it's gunny how friting a small post like this kinda lifts the mood towards poker, gives some motivation to get up tomorrow again to do the same thing again.

Gonna put my % for sale again to protect my br in GG and watch some WSOP, also started watching twin peaks whivch I thought I never saw but I think I've seen it I have vague memories of it. Girls back in that decade were so pretty, this current era we live in with butterfly eyelashes is not for me haha.

Twin peaks is borderline too scary for me already, but think I can handle it. In general I can't stand suspense / horror at all, I used to try and watch them when I was younger but I learned my lesson no point in torturing oneself for nothing.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
gl in your grind

N

NeverTooLate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
4th today in some gg poker 2.5usd for 300 or so, got it in KK vs AA which was pretty frustrating but did suck out 66 vs 88 in F2t so it all evens out eventually. Seems like I am getting all my action sold more or less, after maybe some markup alterations, which is nice.

Feels like the grind stress is lower now, only 1 site and just focus on the game. Also selling is good for volume cause the start time is always naturally earlier if I sell for some early tuornament, I have to wake up early to check if it has sold and then I already feel like playing because some randon dude I don't know trust me enough to buy a piece of me for like 5 dollars hahah. Or, the stress was lower today. athough I still tilted several times but less than earlier sessions and I think I'm going into a good direction with it.

Also last 9 days I have 7 days without cash games, 2 days I have played some, so improvement there cause its a risk for the br and tilt, and life schedule.

Some corrections for earlier post:

- not sure if women back in Twin peaks time actually where hot IRL but twin peaks has pretty young girl haha

- WSOP is easy to say people dont play good when I see hole cards and dont have the pressure of the tv. Actually I think that the guys who have sold their action or have backers are at a disadvantage cause its much harder to play with courage if you sell, and are on TV. At least for me, I felt the pressure of selling % when I was ITM in the main, my backer asked my stack, to make some extra swaps with some other backer, who also had horses, and thta made me feel really uncomfortable.

Tomorrow another session, I should probably take a day off soon, will try to figure out something smart to do maybe on friday.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hello everyone,

This is my first post in this forum. I am at Las Vegas right now to play mainly Ash games, and possibly some WSOP events.

I am a full time player from Europe, but right now things are looking really dark in my poker career (in terms of bankroll and risk of ruin).

So, I thought that maybe I will starts small diary to write about my journey from the lowest stakes hopefully to a healthy bankroll again.

I will head out to the strip now to play some 1/2 or 1/3, and possibly write some more details as after I sit down.

GL all and thanks if you read!:)
where will you go for a striptease or you made a mistake which striptease you were going to the poker table🤣🤣🤣🤣

N

NeverTooLate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure if I undestood but didn't go for strippers or stripclubs in Vegas, and didn't have one in the poker table with me, altough there were 2 drunk ones in Bellagio 2/5 or 1/3 dropping like 2-3 k in one orbit being very much drunk.

One fish was really jizzing in his pants when he saw how bad they were playing, trying his best to make them stay, whisperin to other players on my side of the table "be nice to them" , smiling like a leprechaun who found a pot of gold. It's amusing and kinda annoying at the same time. LIke you sit here all day playing passive and then some drunks come and now you feel like your time has come, idk it feels weird if you're playing for recreation in the first place.

Proibably Vegas is not +EV for stripper consumption since the prices are high and the girls are grinders softer fields can be found for sure.

I have 3 tables left IDK why the F i'm writing this should focus, had one 2nd place today tilting loss vs a fish in HU, felt like I played super good but who knows (in the HU).

---> back to grind

N

NeverTooLate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Screenshot 54
What a beauty graph, IDK if I'm playing too many tables, probably. Redline is shit and it was better at first, not sure if I did something differently at first, maybe just ran better. Definately I have avoided some redline spots because I feel like I run into top range all the time.

Been running baaaad i think as well. Punted today my BR, played some 525 buy-ins, had a semi deep runs too but yeah gotta win those flips, no matter if youtry to avoid them. IT's actually possible to avoid flipping without making the red line plummet IF playing very low table count, I believe, but will see. Now my plan is to idk walk outside till I don't feel like shit anymore mentally and figure out a plan for the future. SInce I am BROKE again. I was broke before today also lol but no I am broke broke.

Anyway one part of the plan is to play less tables, like way less, max 6, maybe 4 max.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great blog/diary! I'm just curious, you seem to play a few different game varieties (NL MTTs and PLO cash). Are you finding you have better overall RoI on one or the other? If so is there a reason to play more than 1 format versus focusing on your best game? I'm assuming the cash games are to have a steady short term return while you grind the higher variance MTTs, but wanted to see what your overall strategy was for bankroll management.

N

NeverTooLate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its kinda dicy because the best achievable results depend on many different factors and while for example some MTT guys might have better hourly playing cash games with their A game, they can´t keep it together for long enough.

So I was mostly playing cash games when I got side tracked from MTT´s. And MTT is the proven game for me to work. The reason I am now on the fence with the different formats is my health and how the irregular sleeping schedule is hurtful when having bipolar.

If I will fly to better timezones during winter I will probably focus on MTT¨s but I will see what happens, shit is kind of F'd right now and I haven't been able to turn around anything and I am very broke still, and it really makes life harder as a poker pro. No money to go to yoga or gym or massage, etc, stress builds up and it's harder to get back up.

I have only played cash since august and my winrate is ok but I tilt and play the bigger game and that way I am breaking even-ish. Also fired 3x bullets to 100€ and then bet 400€ on US open tennis match, both of which were very impulsive and not optimal things to do.

N

NeverTooLate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Screenshot 63
Here are my results after august only cash, the tilt can be seen o nthe red and blueline that start to cross and the actual wr lowering. Well. Tomorrow I will make a 30€ deposit and I better start to make some serious adjustments in my professionalism or else I need to look for another job or something else, for real. Would love to get to the Us at least for one more go and not end my career like this. MY family is pressing me to seek for education or something due to my BP etc and I am on the fence too, truth is that experiencing south America again with more fluent spanish would be epic too, can't do that if I drive truck in a warehouse back in Europe.

N

NeverTooLate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never too late... ... to make a career change?

long time since my last opost, and not much has happened since, and at the same time a lot has happened in a way. It's almost hard to believe that it's been 2.5 years from my first post. I remember writing those posts with my phone sitting in Bellagio. Well I truly hope I can get back to some live poker next summer or at some point, but for now, poker will be secondary in my life because I started studying IT in college.

I started 2 weeks ago, and the curriculum takes ~3.5 years to complete. My class has about 40 students, and because I am not studying in the university, our studies are more "hands on" with a lot of group projects and working together with the same class of 40 people.

Here are my online cash results for the full database that I have in Pt4:

Screenshot 40

So, I am still doing fine winrate wise and probably could have a decent living with poker, especially if I would go all-in and move to mexice for example and grind MTT's where I have better self control with BRM. However, clock is ticking, I am 33 and somehow I feel like this game is draining my soul and my social life and other pieces are really not aligned the way I would want them to be.

At the same time, when I sit in my classes at school I can't help but wonder how much I could earn, how my life would look like if I would actually be able to put in the effort to do all I can to succeed with poker.

Like, spending 3.5 years to learn how to program, if I used that effort and focus to poker what would my results look like? chances are I would still be a broke degen, or I could be a wealthy happy man with friends and a life filled with fun and inspiring things. But it seems like a gamble.

N

NeverTooLate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got selected through entrance exams, and I didn't put too much effort into applying, I studied maybe a week for the exam and was a bit surprised to get in. It was good though that I didn't get to my second option that is ~~200km away from my home town because I have some networks here already and quite frankly if I had to move I would already be in a messy situation cause I didn't do any preparations and the beginning has been hard for me mentally and physically too.

My goal now, is to figure out what my goals are :D.

Last week I cried like a baby one night because I didnt't want to go to school and I felt like I am stupid and can't do anything and everything is too difficult etc. Alcohol played also a major part here cause the start of the year involves quite some optional drinking, and due to my bipolar disease I go to my own spheres if I drink over the limit and then I get semi depressed and have moral hangover with what I have said done and how I have behaved.

So everything added up to me just being burnt out after just 3 days of actual school (first week was just info and getting to know ppl etc). Basically it seems like I am a 33 year old male who emotionally and behaviorally feels like a 18 year old kid with social anxiety. I just don't like social interactions where there are several people involved and jokes and random comments flying around, it is very consuming to me. Also because I have 0 programming experience, close to 0 understanding how PC's and electronics in general work, I feel like I am like a NL5 fish when everyone else is grinding NL400.

well the point of resurfacing into this blog is that I will write about poker and how I aim to unite poker and my studies and also I will write about my transition away from poker, and how it will go. I think journaling will benefit me and this place gives me the anonymity I need to be able to talk freely. Migh be that I will go for a private diary at some point but for now I'll try out this route.

N

NeverTooLate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, so I decided to quit my studies. Lack of motivation towards the chosen career path is the reason. Basically deep down I felt and feel like this is not what I want to do for a living, I gave very little interest towards anything that I have envountered in my studies so far. I made a post about it already and I lost it in the bit space so this one will be shorter.

Basically the time and effort invested to accomplish result X is not there, I just cannot see it. Maybe, the resistance from being a poker pro for 10 years is playing tricks on me. However I have to trust my heart and I feel like there are other career paths that speak to me more. Though now it is going to be poker for a uncpecified timeframe.

I think this 6 week school experience was very valuable for me though. It has given me huge motivation to fix my shit, and work with more disclipline in my poker career. Basically when I feel demotivated I can just visualize myself sitting next to an oscilloscope in the laboratory figuring out how to code some arduino bs for a microcontroller, feeling completely like a deer in the headlights. Now, obviously this is not shit, and for some it is really cool and exciting, but for me, I didn't get it, and I didn't like it.

All I was thinking is how I could have studied ICM how I could have been more discliplined with my poker etc. Also the proud chick who was my age hosting a course about working life, telling about her career path, made me think about stuff. She felt kinda proud about herself, and it did seem like she is pretty good at what she does. She kept telling us how we have made a good choice by choosing IT and how she could never be the one working as a nurse with a low salary.

Her salary was 5-6k / month, after 13 years of work experience. I was thinking to myself, if I really but my ass to work with poker, how much could I make? Obviously not everything comes down to money and it's a rocky road if money is all you ask for with poker, but, hence I already felt like IT is not for me then it only grew my motivation towards poker and in general, fixing my shit.

After my decicion to quit school I did quite well with my transition to poker, lot of meditation, decent strutcure. Then I got covid again and I have been pretty messed up for the last 3 days. Now I feel slightly better and I think tomorrow it's time to put on some work again, and rebuild my routines bit by bit.

N

NeverTooLate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
O and I have probably never re-read what I have written above/earlier, so it might be comical if I have said something like "I just have to stick with this school decicion, poker is not for me" or something. However this is how I feel and I have definately made a lot of inner search and I do feel like I am not giving up because it's too hard for example. I just completely lack the desire. And as mentioned I have some other career paths that potentially interest me, might write about those once the time is right. Now I am playing MTT, abi is micro and loooots of work ahead, will see how it goes.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
where will you go for a striptease or you made a mistake which striptease you were going to the poker table🤣🤣🤣🤣
He could hire you... for a couple of Sunday Storm tickets! I mean you're already halfway there in your profile picture.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
She kept telling us how we have made a good choice by choosing IT and how she could never be the one working as a nurse with a low salary.

Her salary was 5-6k / month, after 13 years of work experience.
'Average' nurse salary in B.C. = $87k/yr. ($7,250/mth)

Good luck on your journey!! Keep us posted.
I'm contemplating something a bit similar... either stay a semi-retired on permanent disability income with some smaller investments to live off of.. 'or' Go back to school (Again!) but this time instead of just being older than all of the other students, I'll be older than all of the teachers too. But what's my alternative? Have some exponentially great run 'micros to masters' & then smash a $2,7 million score from my home office, hit the HiRollers in MonteCarlo and give Patrik Antonius some tips on ICM during break??? A Sunday Million final table followed by a jump to a $27 avg. buyin would be a nice starter.

Real Money Poker - Real Money Casinos Royal Vegas - Leo Vegas - Sky Vegas Top 10 Games