Lag style and Low stakes?

F

falcais

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
By LAG I mean the real deal, not an agrodonk. That is, a winning player.

I play 1/2 live and 16NL online so I've probably never played against one. I'm assuming that style can be a winner below TAG.

Is the reason there are no (or very few) LAGs at low stakes - and I'm including 2/5 in this based on what I've read in the Live Low-stakes NL forum - because it requires advanced hand-reading skills and most players just haven't developed them at these stakes yet? Or is it that there isn't enough fold equity at these stakes for it to be profitable? Both? Something else entirely?

Also, should a truly well-rounded poker player be able to play a winning LAG style even if he prefers not to?

Thanks in advance.
Daniel

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you play micro tournaments, there are players who play lag style, but i don't know if they are profitable or not. i guess the answer to your question lies in the fact that the players at the microstakes are not good enough at hand reading to play lag properly so, the ones that try to play just spew chips.

PokerDragon99

PokerDragon99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playimg LAG is no advantage in my opinion. As poker player you don't need it.
It's sure possible but much harder to be profitable.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a loose, aggressive style. (At live tables that have fairly solid players.) I have a lot of confidence in my hand reading skills and postflop play, though. You absoulutley need to have that in order to play LAG style.

I find that one of the most profitable reasons to be LAG is that you screw up what other people think is a "normal" range. Most people don't play anything worse than maybe QKo form UTG, while i play i lot of high suited connectors and low pairs that can flop huge, but are easy to dump if they don't hit.

You also need to hone your bluffing skills. Be able to read somebody and blow them off a hand like TP mid. Kicker. You can never play scared, espically when you are oop with a marginal hand.

You have to be able to control tilt, you will have a lot more variance playing LAG, so knowing how to deal with tilt is very importnant, as is knowing how to deal with angry people. (Have you ever seen somebody get their aces cracked by 24o? It's not pretty lol)

You also need to be able to take your read and put your entire stack on it. If you don't know how to play hands like middle pair, bottom 2, and idiot straights, then LAG style will ABSOLUTELY slaughter your roll.

Done right, LAG style is, imo, the best way to play poker. Done wrong you look really, really stupid and spewey.

Last edited:
well_cap1302

well_cap1302

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe in micro tournaments.