KQ makes me sick

V

vax1op369

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One hand i dislike is KQ, officially cutting it out unless in position. Causes more problems than jacks, gotten me into to much trouble over the years. And Cost alot of $$$$. Is there any hand in particular that rattles your bones? Cheers

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold more to large bets with TPGK with KQ. Also, know your opponent. If they're a nit, fold. If they're a fish, go for value.

S

SPYDER1998

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe you're overcalling 3 BETS 0R 4 BETS with KQ, it sucks to play KQ especially offsuits POSTFLOP on a 4 bet pot because you're opponent can ussually have AK AQ AJ AT or BIG PAIRS. and maybe you're sticky with KQ calling too much C-bets on the flop even if you missed. Am I right?

V

vax1op369

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe you're overcalling 3 BETS 0R 4 BETS with KQ, it sucks to play KQ especially offsuits POSTFLOP on a 4 bet pot because you're opponent can ussually have AK AQ AJ AT or BIG PAIRS. and maybe you're sticky with KQ calling too much C-bets on the flop even if you missed. Am I right?

Hey Spyder, I wont get involved in 4 bet pots with KQ, Yet to see anyone 4 bet anything besides QQ+ Dont really ever see any 3 bet spots with KQ. Guess more out of position is my issue and flops were Its J10 2 ill bet those and keep aggressive. Rover bricks and they call. Think it may be im betting into calling stations. Any tips?

S

SPYDER1998

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Spyder, I wont get involved in 4 bet pots with KQ, Yet to see anyone 4 bet anything besides QQ+ Dont really ever see any 3 bet spots with KQ. Guess more out of position is my issue and flops were Its J10 2 ill bet those and keep aggressive. Rover bricks and they call. Think it may be im betting into calling stations. Any tips?

Then how come you lose so much money with KQ if you're not getting involved in 3 Bet pots? that means you're only playing KQ in small pots, then now way you lose much money with that.

V

vax1op369

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then how come you lose so much money with KQ if you're not getting involved in 3 Bet pots? that means you're only playing KQ in small pots, then now way you lose much money with that.

Flop J10 ill put pressure, Ill put pressure with two overs, guess just raised to often.

S

SPYDER1998

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flop J10 ill put pressure, Ill put pressure with two overs, guess just raised to often.

Just simplify your thought process mate, on the flop your bet sizing should depend if you're value betting or bluffing. You should now what bet sizing are your opponents would call or fold

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
KQ is pretty tough to play in 3bet pots, especially when you call 3bets. but in single raised pots it's pretty straightforward to play. If you hit top pair you call it down most of the time. Also, on many low boards you might have good backdoors with two live overcards, so it's an easy call on the flop at least.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that KQ it is a pretty good and strong hand, if you know in what situation to use it properly. Situations are different, and sometimes a fold is the best and optimal solution that saves our money.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
KQ suited is a hand I win a lot with! So it’s one of my favorite!

V

vax1op369

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just simplify your thought process mate, on the flop your bet sizing should depend if you're value betting or bluffing. You should now what bet sizing are your opponents would call or fold

Simplify thought process, im thinking on to high of a level good call

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
K10 off and Q10 off are not my best friends..

K10 and Q10 are trouble waiting to happen. So tempting, but so frustrating.
When they are off-suit, they never seem to turn into straights. When suited, I have better luck, they either make the straight, or some other hand.
When the suited K10 and Q10 don't hit, I'm not as crushed. It feels better losing, playing better probabilities.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One hand i dislike is KQ, officially cutting it out unless in position. Causes more problems than jacks, gotten me into to much trouble over the years. And Cost alot of $$$$. Is there any hand in particular that rattles your bones? Cheers

Nothing wrong with folding KQo from early position, especially if you are playing deepstacked

I typically open it on a 6 handed table, but not always on a 9 handed table

Try an experiment... for 1 week, only open suited broadway cards from the first 3 seats on a 9 handed table and fold all the offsuit ones except for AK (yes even AQ AJ KQ)

See how you feel... it will mean many less pots out of position where the best you can usually make is one pair... and I think you'll find you experience less variance and win more money by taking this approach!

(Keep playing your KQo and AJo from late position of course, button, cutoff, hijack, probably even lowjack... from those seats its just too strong a hand to not play)

frost234

frost234

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
KQ is not a bad hand. You just fixated on failing with this hand. I have had moments when I lost several times in a row with KK

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KQ is okay, but not super great. I've also noticed that a lot of members in this thread are celebrating KQ. True, it is a good hand under shorter effective stacks; however, I'm guessing the original post is a cumulative disgust and that largely stems from deeper stacks where KQ isn't as great.

In fact, KQ is taught by several as one example of a "trouble hand." It looks good enough to play a decent amount of the time, but it is seldom a hand we want to really commit a lot with. Having position almost always helps in a hand, but I have no second thoughts about folding KQ in certain situations. Villain having AK or AQ is concern enough and might be tough to get away from KQ in those cases.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KQ is a good hand to steal. Best played in position.
Out of position, you need to be able to play such a hand postflop.