M

muckem97

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello friends.

I'm currently at .02/.05 nl.

I really want to take my game to the next level. Would love to see myself progress to .05/10, but it's so unbelievable the dumb stuff I do.

It's like I play kind of okay and rack up some cash on the session, then I do the dumbest stuff that cost me. It's like why the heck am I doing it?

Example so many times I'll have mid pair on the board, and villian keeps on raising. I say to myself " o yeah no, he doesn't have top pair, there's no way he has top pair." Boom he obviously shows top pair.

Like I know I'm making this mistake but I continue to do it?!?!?!

How can I fix this, and actually learn from my mistakes?

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's because you formed a habit with mid pair to keep paying the villain because you don't believe he has a better hand and he's bluffing.which is a false statement and not always the villain bluffs. Just fold a couple of times next time you have same hand and break the habit.

phantomjiujitsu

phantomjiujitsu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try playing low stakes sessions where you work on trusting your instinct. Don't second guess yourself and try to make a habit of playing that way.

W

Wiliest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think taking a few seconds each hand to calm down and not make an emotional decision would help in addition to the suggestions above.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
often that little voice in your head is correct. subconsciously you have been processing information and your little voice is saying hey this is what i think is the situation. you need to learn to trust yourself. also take notes on players and find out who is bluffing and who is not, when they bluff and when they dont.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Leaks correction

To evolve in the poker game we need to fix the leaks recommend games review along with discussion of hands on forums or social networks you trust

And individual and group study of the modalities you play, just so we can give an improved level of our game

:jd4:mateuspoker

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello friends.

I'm currently at .02/.05 nl.

I really want to take my game to the next level. Would love to see myself progress to .05/10, but it's so unbelievable the dumb stuff I do.

It's like I play kind of okay and rack up some cash on the session, then I do the dumbest stuff that cost me. It's like why the heck am I doing it?

Example so many times I'll have mid pair on the board, and villian keeps on raising. I say to myself " o yeah no, he doesn't have top pair, there's no way he has top pair." Boom he obviously shows top pair.

Like I know I'm making this mistake but I continue to do it?!?!?!

How can I fix this, and actually learn from my mistakes?

Well, it's good that you can identify one of your big mistakes.

So...you will now do this to be more successful......if your opponent is betting and you don't have the proverbial nuts AND you are not getting correct pot odds.....then you must fold - unless this villain has shown to be betting and bluffing frequently (which is actually rare and unprofitable longterm).

Don't be curious and pay them off..... because that is what you have been doing. You are on a two pair draw? Great!....are you getting pot odds or implied odds?

If you keep paying them with superior hands then you will go broke. Try folding to them for a week and see how much better you do. It's not as fun to fold but it is MUCH MUCH more profitable!

And, if you are betting and your opponent is coming along....then you might be beat....especially if you don't have the nuts and are denying them pot odds.

Good luck !

K

KristianMedK

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Same here

I have the exact same problem.

Racking up small winnings, to lose a big hand, because i got myself convinced the villain must be bluffing.

What i try to do, is assume the villain is never bluffing. Playing micro stakes, that appears to be true in most cases anyway, but throwing away KK hurts a bit, even when there's an A on the board.

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have the exact same problem.

Racking up small winnings, to lose a big hand, because i got myself convinced the villain must be bluffing.

What i try to do, is assume the villain is never bluffing. Playing micro stakes, that appears to be true in most cases anyway, but throwing away KK hurts a bit, even when there's an A on the board.
My snafu is when I bet with middle pair and the villain doesn't raise, then when I bet again on the river, I get a huge raise and I call thinking I'm being run over. Then I get hammered by a set or quads.