KK vs check jam

C

codybennett14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wanted to get a little insight on this hand. Been having a great year so far at the 2/5 and had a good chance to improve my game at a home game i played. Blinds are 1/2 5 to limp structure choosen by player demand. Game is good as youll see in the hand.
Button has a 25 straddle to call. UTG villian raises to 75 (1000 effective) im next to act ( 800 effective) and i like down at K of diamonds/ K o clubs. I think for a couple seconds and know i want to make a hefty raise so i make it 215. Folds around to villian who takes 30 seconds, asks how much the button straddler has and puts in the call for 140 more. Button folds flop is q/j/9 rainbow. He checks i bet small 120 he goes all in. I have 335 in the pot now with 465 left in my stack i do think now i can fold some of the time and save my 465. I put him on 10/10 A,/Q and call his jam. He rolls over K/10 spades for a flopped straight i was pretty surprised? Was a 140 reraise preflop to small here because of the straddle? I put the hand in my pocket for later and rebought for 600 and was able to cash for 1230 in 3 hours happy to make 130 after losing that hand.

Last edited:
C

codybennett14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Quite unlucky.

Agreed but will you find a better game? Looking back at it villian sticks 25% of his entire STACK in PREFLOP with King high? I will take that all day every day.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can not disagree with you, but let's think about it, KK is a great pre-flop hand, second best for pre-flop all-in, KTs is just a suited connector, mathematically I would also play it 24/7 against such villain, but my past poker experience tells me that it's better to quit after 3rd loss with monster hand against such stupid play. Entire stack you're saying - well it depends on how you're taking it, it might be big money for you, small money for him, he can rebuy any time, so if he can afford to make dumb moves - then it's always nice when he pays you for such moves, but it's better to keep in mind this article before your next rebuy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler's_fallacy

Sometimes you can't beat them, Even donkey has a birthday once a year. Don't let high expectations and great mathematical advantage ruin the formal logic.

C

codybennett14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I can not disagree with you, but let's think about it, KK is a great pre-flop hand, second best for pre-flop all-in, KTs is just a suited connector, mathematically I would also play it 24/7 against such villain, but my past poker experience tells me that it's better to quit after 3rd loss with monster hand against such stupid play. Entire stack you're saying - well it depends on how you're taking it, it might be big money for you, small money for him, he can rebuy any time, so if he can afford to make dumb moves - then it's always nice when he pays you for such moves, but it's better to keep in mind this article before your next rebuy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler's_fallacy

Sometimes you can't beat them, Even donkey has a birthday once a year. Don't let high expectations and great mathematical advantage ruin the formal logic.

Agree i ended up with a 130 profit on the 4 hour session despite being pretty card dead (other than KK i had Ak once and only took down 3 dollars in blinds). so the single rebuy i did was a great move and ill do it again in my next games. its good to know i can play well and level headed enough after losing a big pot and not get great cards after the fact and still profit . No complaints here.

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Awnswer is simple, always call :p KK and AA is most profitable hands in Poker Texas Holdem No Limit.

So this easy, KK is always calling all in this is very easy play.

C

codybennett14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
*update* just played the villian again and 2 big hands against him both of which i dominated and won one pot was for 1280 i called a 300 river bet with KK and he just mucked the other pot i won was 1220 ace high flush over his king high flush ��. Just remember guys the deck always evens out! The more skilled players will win long term.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just wanted to get a little insight on this hand. Been having a great year so far at the 2/5 and had a good chance to improve my game at a home game i played. Blinds are 1/2 5 to limp structure choosen by player demand. Game is good as youll see in the hand.
Button has a 25 straddle to call. UTG villian raises to 75 (1000 effective) im next to act ( 800 effective) and i like down at K of diamonds/ K o clubs. I think for a couple seconds and know i want to make a hefty raise so i make it 215. Folds around to villian who takes 30 seconds, asks how much the button straddler has and puts in the call for 140 more. Button folds flop is q/j/9 rainbow. He checks i bet small 120 he goes all in. I have 335 in the pot now with 465 left in my stack i do think now i can fold some of the time and save my 465. I put him on 10/10 A,/Q and call his jam. He rolls over K/10 spades for a flopped straight i was pretty surprised? Was a 140 reraise preflop to small here because of the straddle? I put the hand in my pocket for later and rebought for 600 and was able to cash for 1230 in 3 hours happy to make 130 after losing that hand.

Thank you for posting

3x in a game this loose is not a hefty raise 4x is standard because of the straddle and hefty would be 6x.
3x is a good raise size but we would want to have strong post flop skills to use this sizing vs wide ranges.

In these games in which we are more skilled we do not have to risk stacks on ugly boards when we have an SPR of 1.5
Betting this board puts our stack into play as occurred here.
This is a 100% check flop as we are crushing under pairs- Ax has low equity and we will get value from weaker hands on later streets.

A simple range estimate you might use to look at spots like this is to list all the hands in order of strength on flop.

KT T8 QQ JJ 99 QJ Q9 J9 AA-- KK--

Tenth best hand is not a bet on this flop when in games like this this flop crushes their preflop gotta call ranges.
875 would be a much better board to bet as our V can have JJ TT 99 and stack off or call 1 time with overs.

Hope this helps
:):)