Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
QTs you dont have a gutter on the turn.

I bet river for value

That’s a good point lol. I remember in game believing I picked up a gutter...so I may have reported the flop wrong or I might just be dumb.

I know it was 77Xss

Maybe it was 778? Or again maybe I’m just dumb lol

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played a long session last weekend but am just now getting a chance to report it.

the game starts as $1/2 and I buy in for the maximum $400

I get felted pretty quickly in a standard spot, reload, lose a few medium pots, reload again and I'm into the table for $1,000 with $400 in front of me.

Hand #20

an aggressive, but kind of spewy lady opens the CO for $12 off of about $250. I am on the button with :as4::5s4: and I 3bet to $35. This was a misclick I meant to 3bet to $40 but pretty similar anyways. she is the only caller

flop :10c4::9h4::3h4: pot contains $73

she checks I check. I think I am supposed to Cbet this flop? even though it's pretty terrible for my range but I believe we are supposed to Cbet when checked to IP in 3b pots as the aggressor.....? anyways I didn't.

turn is the :ac4: she checks I bet $40 she calls.

river is the :8c4: she checks and I just check back. I win she mucks. I am thinking I should probably value bet small on this river?

Hand #21

this hand is vs the same lady. there are 2 limpers. she raises the limpers quite often and does not disappoint, she raises to $15 in the HJ off $550. I am the CO with $700 and I make it $50 with :as4::qc4: SB calls, limpers fold and she calls.

pot contains $142 flop is :2h4::4c4::5s4:

they both check to me and I bet $75. they both call.

turn is :qs4: pot contains $367 they both check and I make it $225. SB folds. she seems genuinely conflicted then she calls leaving herself only $200 behind.

river is :4h4: pot contains $817. she checks. I put her in for $200 and she snaps with A4o. I'm pretty sure I played it fine. maybe I should check backthe flop with my gutter and 2 overs and good ace high being that its a multiway pot?

the game switches to $2/5. its the same table we just agree to incraese the stakes so I top up to $1,000. at this point I'm in to the table for $2,000 with $1,000 in front of me.

Hand #21

there are 2 limpers for $5 each. once again, this aggressive lady raises the limpers (she nearly always does) she is the button and makes it $35 off of $700. I am the SB with :6c4::6h4: and I 3bet her to $150 off a stack of about $900. everyone folds. what do we think of this? its high variance for sure but her range is pretty wide and being OOP I'm pretty happy just to take it down if I can.

Hand #22
I recently bluffed it all off with the betting lead in a 3bet pot and a really strong combo draw and 2 overs (which turns out both overs were good). So now I have $520 in front of me (my case money) and I'm into the table for $2500. There are times I'm going to pack it up and call it a night about this point of losses....but I feel I've been playing well. The bluff spots I've taken are all reasonable and I've also just been getting coolered or sucked out on a lot. I feel pretty decent at evaluating my mental game and tilt in real time and I feel fresh and motivated. I have the best seat in the house....the game is good...the only other player I consider to be quite good is 4 to my right and the 2 worst players in the game each have $2,000 in front of them and are on my direct right. so I pull out the last of my cash and strap in for the ride. (I should have brought more cash, and actually I did....but I foolishly loaned my other girlfriend some cash when she got here, she instantly Venmo'd me...not a concern of getting paid back or not...but it limited my flexibility in a good game, so I won't make that mistake again).

a very bad player with $2k in front of him limps UTG. I make it $25 UTG+2 with :qc4::qd4: only he calls.

flop :jd4::10d4::2d4: pot contains $107

he checks, I cbet $65 and he check raises me to $150. I decide this is it. I think he will stack off with like KJ or a big diamond so I rip it in. he snap calls. he has :jc4::5d4: and we hold! I told you I was in a good game!! :)

Remainder of night

The game gets even better, we get 2 new players who are calling and betting dark. I make some lose some....at one point I was down $2,000 and then run it up to where I am up $250. Lose a few hundred with AK and AQ flopping 1 pair vs the dark betting guys....but manage to keep the pots somewhat small vs their weird 2 pair. The staff announce 15 minutes left before closing. Everyone starts packing up. I am down $400 at this point which actually feels like a win to me. I am happy with pulling it together and finding good spots to recoup some losses.

however, the J5o guy who doubled me wants to stay and play and he has $1,800. 1 other nitty guy with $500 wants to stay and play. I have about $2,000 in front of me and decide to play the final 15 minutes essentially heads up with that action guy.

I manage to win another $400 off him and end the night down 17. FEELS AMAZING!!!

summary 4 hours at $1/2 and 7 hours at $2/5 for a net loss of $17

Last edited:
Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
last night I only got to play a short 1 hour session of $1/2 after busting the tournament and then waiting about a half hour for a seat. at this point there was only an hour remaining in the night before the room closed.

bought in for the maximum of $400 and pretty much nothing happened.

everyone was button straddling for $5. I mostly just folded my blinds but I noticed about half the time if the pot was limped nobody raised and they got to go to a flop.

Hand #23

so in this Hand I am the BB with $375. button straddle is on. SB calls. I have :kh4::7h4: and complete for the extra $3.

the HJ makes it $30. button folds. SB calls. I just fold.

is it ok to limp this?

I only saw a couple flops this hour and just missed them but did win a small pot with a Cbet.

result: lost $40 in 60 minutes at $1/2

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 21
Using my HM2 from a 1.3 million sample, cash games, +4bb/100 winrate. (80% full ring)
I looked at 66 and 55 in the blinds, v 1 raiser in CO, BTN
we 3bet was -15bb/100
Cold call only was -212bb/100.
The best win rate was achieved by 3bet one barrel (+230bb/100)

Interestingly versus EP and MP, cold calling was better as when you hit your set versus the stronger opening range you get paid off better.
I only 3bet v EP and MP on 13 occasions. 3 bet 1 barrel v the stronger range was losing.
3betting v MP is better than EP (logically).

In 6max it is better to just 3bet v cold call from the blinds v any position other than EP

Conclusion is its better to 3bet v a late position raiser and barrel once v their weaker range and in full ring just set mine v EP/MP

Last edited:
LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 21
Using my HM2 from a 1.3 million sample, cash games, +4bb/100 winrate. (80% full ring)
I looked at 66 and 55 in the blinds, v 1 raiser in CO, BTN
we 3bet was -15bb/100
Cold call only was -212bb/100.
The best win rate was achieved by 3bet one barrel (+230bb/100)

How do you check this? I was intereseted in checking how profitable my 3bets from SB vs BU+CO are, but i couldnt seem to find were to look that up. I couldnt find a decent tutorial about this.

Last edited:
Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On Wednesday 10/23 I played in a filmed invite only ladies cash game. 8 ladies blinds were $5/5 although we played a while at $5/5/10.

The session will be edited into 4 episodes with commentary that will air in about 2 months. But here are the highlights:

Hand #24

I have $1,500 in front of me. Game has been loose and splashy and I’ve been pretty tight due to poor starting hands and just feeling out the table. But by this point I’ve figured out the 3 women I want to actively try to play more pots with.

The LJ opens to $15 off about $800

Button calls off about $600

I’m the SB with JTo and $5 invested. The 2 women in the pot are 2 of the 3 I want to play pots with. I’ve already determined the BB is not a threat. If she raises I can be confident she is very strong.

So I make a loosish call. Bb calls off about $900

4 to a flop pot contains $60

:jc4::10h4::4c4:

It checks through.

Turn is :7h4: I lead $40 into $60

Bb folds. LJ calls. Button calls.

Pot contains $180. 3 handed. River is a brick.

I bet $80. LJ calls. Button folds. I show and she mucks.

Hand #25

CO opens to $20 off of $1,500. Decent player. Button flats off of $2,000 Also a decent player. SB calls off of $600...she is one of my targets. I have QTo in BB and call off about $1,800.

4 to a flop pot contains $80

:qs4::10s4::9h4:

SB checks. I check. CO cbets $55. Button tanks for a minute before calling. I’ve played with her a lot and interpret her tank to mean she has a strong draw she was considering raising with.

SB folds.

I check raise to $210

CO tanks for a long time before calling. That’s all I needed to know. Due to the draw heavy board I think she will always 3bet with a set or a straight. I can now safely stack off on good runouts.

The button tanks a while and I think she’s considering jamming. I will have to snap call because she is basically capped at strong combo draws just based on how much I’ve played with her I can be pretty confident in this read. But she eventually folds.

Heads up to a turn pot contains $555

Turn is :7c4:

I bet $350 and she folds.

There were a few other hands. I’ll post the YouTube link in a few months. My memories of exact board cards could be wrong but the important board textures are correct for context.

Anyways I played 3.5 hours and profited $1,590

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not doing anything different in these last two hands. Off nearly 300bb deep the preflop calls are like you said loose but acceptable versus weaker players. QT turn bet Id be nearer half pot to encourage more calls. 350 makes it tough to call with worse.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not doing anything different in these last two hands. Off nearly 300bb deep the preflop calls are like you said loose but acceptable versus weaker players. QT turn bet Id be nearer half pot to encourage more calls. 350 makes it tough to call with worse.

yes i might have let her off the hook with that bet size

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand #20

an aggressive, but kind of spewy lady opens the CO for $12 off of about $250. I am on the button with :as4::5s4: and I 3bet to $35. This was a misclick I meant to 3bet to $40 but pretty similar anyways. she is the only caller

flop :10c4::9h4::3h4: pot contains $73

she checks I check. I think I am supposed to Cbet this flop?
You cant cbet everything all the time especially if you are 3betting with a highish frequency. The Ten high flop statistically gets called more than any cbet. Checking behind here is fine. Cbet when you have backdoors and overs.
even though it's pretty terrible for my range but I believe we are supposed to Cbet when checked to IP in 3b pots as the aggressor.....? anyways I didn't.

turn is the :ac4: she checks I bet $40 she calls.

river is the :8c4: she checks and I just check back. I win she mucks. I am thinking I should probably value bet small on this river? If she is aggro then reopening the betting here is dangerous. I'd bet here versus passives and stations not aggros who will bluff raise and put you in a tough spot, you got your value on the turn.

Hand #21

this hand is vs the same lady. there are 2 limpers. she raises the limpers quite often and does not disappoint, she raises to $15 in the HJ off $550. I am the CO with $700 and I make it $50 with :as4::qc4: SB calls, limpers fold and she calls.

pot contains $142 flop is :2h4::4c4::5s4:

they both check to me and I bet $75. they both call.

turn is :qs4: pot contains $367 they both check and I make it $225. SB folds. she seems genuinely conflicted then she calls leaving herself only $200 behind.
If I had bet the flop then personally I would check this turn against an aggro and bet around 40% pot versus stations. Called in two spots you may already be up against a set here. I don't want to bloat this pot on the turn and then face a turn raise. If you pot control on the turn its easier to play the smaller river.

Checking flop is ok, all overpairs are calling and you are usually behind needing to improve. You can then bet turn and possibly river depending on player type.

river is :4h4: pot contains $817. she checks. I put her in for $200 and she snaps with A4o. I'm pretty sure I played it fine. maybe I should check backthe flop with my gutter and 2 overs and good ace high being that its a multiway pot?

the game switches to $2/5. its the same table we just agree to incraese the stakes so I top up to $1,000. at this point I'm in to the table for $2,000 with $1,000 in front of me.

Hand #22
I recently bluffed it all off with the betting lead in a 3bet pot and a really strong combo draw and 2 overs (which turns out both overs were good). So now I have $520 in front of me (my case money) and I'm into the table for $2500. There are times I'm going to pack it up and call it a night about this point of losses....but I feel I've been playing well. The bluff spots I've taken are all reasonable and I've also just been getting coolered or sucked out on a lot. I feel pretty decent at evaluating my mental game and tilt in real time and I feel fresh and motivated. I have the best seat in the house....the game is good...the only other player I consider to be quite good is 4 to my right and the 2 worst players in the game each have $2,000 in front of them and are on my direct right. so I pull out the last of my cash and strap in for the ride. (I should have brought more cash, and actually I did....but I foolishly loaned my other girlfriend some cash when she got here, she instantly Venmo'd me...not a concern of getting paid back or not...but it limited my flexibility in a good game, so I won't make that mistake again).

a very bad player with $2k in front of him limps UTG. I make it $25 UTG+2 with :qc4::qd4: only he calls.

flop :jd4::10d4::2d4: pot contains $107

he checks, I cbet $65 and he check raises me to $150. I decide this is it. I think he will stack off with like KJ or a big diamond so I rip it in. he snap calls. he has :jc4::5d4: and we hold! I told you I was in a good game!! Nice i'm sticking around! You just have to stay patient.

2tuzai

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you check this? I was intereseted in checking how profitable my 3bets from SB vs BU+CO are, but i couldnt seem to find were to look that up. I couldnt find a decent tutorial about this.
more filters>basic filters> position and action> Pf actin facing hero>1 raiser>raiser posistion> adn so on

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Jacki.

I don't think we get to bet the T93 two-tone flop in this spot very often. Unless you know she will fold hands as strong as 88/AQ it's hard to see how it's a profitable bet. This smacks her range really hard as she continues with all her broadways and she has a nut advantage here as well, as 99-TT, T9 are squarely in her raise/call range pre.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Jacki.

I don't think we get to bet the T93 two-tone flop in this spot very often. Unless you know she will fold hands as strong as 88/AQ it's hard to see how it's a profitable bet. This smacks her range really hard as she continues with all her broadways and she has a nut advantage here as well, as 99-TT, T9 are squarely in her raise/call range pre.

I pretty much agree with everything Bruce had to say here....

I would check back the AQ on 2-4-5 or whatever that flop was.... the game you're in people call too much in general. Bluff less value bet more IMO, in general anyway cookie cutter advice

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
#20 pretty clear check back on the flop, all kinds of trouble cbetting here.

#21 I am 100% cbetting here, but thats just me.

#22 perfect

#23 How is the button straddle working? not a missisipi? Either way seeing flop 50% of the time is more than fine.
#24 JT, we want to check raise flop yea? As played bet bigger river

QT looks fantastic! perfect imo

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys haven't posted for a while but I have been playing.

I took 2 poker trips in the last 3 weeks which limited my freetime for posting.

Hand #26
this is a $2/5 table at Harvey's Lake Tahoe. I've been playing well and the table is soft so I'm in for $600 and have $1,800 in front of me.

UTG straddles for $15. she has been straddling every chance she gets and she is a mediocre player at best, and usually just checks her option in the straddle. She has about $1,000. EP calls. MP calls off about $1,400 and he is an older recreational player who I'm trying to play pots with. he way overvalues TP and won't fold draws for any price (even bad draws). it folds to my button and I have :ks4::7s4: and I call along for $15.

The SB is a good player with a stack of $1,200 somewhat on the tight side he is a german I get the feeling plays professionally (about 25 years old) makes it $70 out of the SB. it folds around to me. I am getting 2.5:1 and decide to call. This hand is already getting questionable.

pot contains $190 flop is :kh4::qh4::7c4:

I check, he bets $75 and I check raise to $225. He calls

pot contains $640

turn is :3d4: I bet $325 and he goes all in for about $900 total. Yuck. I tank for a while. It's hard for me to imagine what I'm beating now. I feel like he has QQ or possibly a really strong combo draw. I don't think he would play AA this way. On the other hand, I'm getting 3.25:1 on a call so I only need to be correct 23% of the time. I'm genuinely conflicted and almost fold but end up making the call.

he shows me the bad news, he had KQ! I should have folded. I had lots of opportunities to fold this hand and probably should have taken many of them.

but....I river a 7 so I win a huge pot lol. woops.

Hand #27
this is at $1/2 at planet hollywood in Vegas.

I'm UTG with about $750 and the table is softer than usual.

I make it $7 with :ad4::9d4:

MP attempts to limp for $2, the SB completes for $2 at the time I'm announcing to the dealer that I have actually raised. the dealer asks the BB "option" and I repeat "NO! I raised...." lol. anyways everyone calls. 4 people to a flop.

pot contains $28

flop :10d4::9s4::7d4:

both blinds check I bet $16. MP calls, his total stack is about $200 SB raises to $60- his total stack is about $500. BB folds.

I re-raise to $225. MP sigh calls. SB tank folds.

the board runs out brick brick and the MP player says "king hi". I show my hand to scoop with just a pair of 9s and the SB complains that he folded bottom 2.

Recap of my play over these last few months

I've actually played a lot of poker in the last month or so since I've posted, easily hitting my 4 hour per week goal of playing cash.

I started this thread on 8/26/19 so it's now been 3 months.

if I filter my results for the last 3 months I have played 79.25 hours of cash at stakes between $1-2 and $5-5.

My hourly rate for that 3 month period is $96.02 and 23.24 bb per hour.

broken down by stake:
for $1/2 and $1/3 I played 48.5 hours I'm making $29.36 an hour and 12.47 bb per hour.
for $2/5 and $5/5 I played 30.75 hours and I'm making $201.044 an hour and 66.65 bb per hour

Cumulative total:
When I add my current 3 months of results to my previous results at stakes $5/5 and lower I'm now making $55.65 overall. for 17.63bb per hour.

Last edited:
Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys haven't posted for a while but I have been playing.

I took 2 poker trips in the last 3 weeks which limited my freetime for posting.

Hand #26
this is a $2/5 table at Harvey's Lake Tahoe. I've been playing well and the table is soft so I'm in for $600 and have $1,800 in front of me.

UTG straddles for $15. she has been straddling every chance she gets and she is a mediocre player at best, and usually just checks her option in the straddle. She has about $1,000. EP calls. MP calls off about $1,400 and he is an older recreational player who I'm trying to play pots with. he way overvalues TP and won't fold draws for any price (even bad draws). it folds to my button and I have :ks4::7s4: and I call along for $15.

The SB is a good player with a stack of $1,200 somewhat on the tight side he is a german I get the feeling plays professionally (about 25 years old) makes it $70 out of the SB. it folds around to me. I am getting 2.5:1 and decide to call. This hand is already getting questionable.

pot contains $190 flop is :kh4::qh4::7c4:

I check, he bets $75 and I check raise to $225. He calls

pot contains $640

turn is :3d4: I bet $325 and he goes all in for about $900 total. Yuck. I tank for a while. It's hard for me to imagine what I'm beating now. I feel like he has QQ or possibly a really strong combo draw. I don't think he would play AA this way. On the other hand, I'm getting 3.25:1 on a call so I only need to be correct 23% of the time. I'm genuinely conflicted and almost fold but end up making the call.

he shows me the bad news, he had KQ! I should have folded. I had lots of opportunities to fold this hand and probably should have taken many of them.

but....I river a 7 so I win a huge pot lol. woops.

Hand #27
this is at $1/2 at planet hollywood in Vegas.

I'm UTG with about $750 and the table is softer than usual.

I make it $7 with :ad4::9d4:

MP attempts to limp for $2, the SB completes for $2 at the time I'm announcing to the dealer that I have actually raised. the dealer asks the BB "option" and I repeat "NO! I raised...." lol. anyways everyone calls. 4 people to a flop.

pot contains $28

flop :10d4::9s4::7d4:

both blinds check I bet $16. MP calls, his total stack is about $200 SB raises to $60- his total stack is about $500. BB folds.

I re-raise to $225. MP sigh calls. SB tank folds.

the board runs out brick brick and the MP player says "king hi". I show my hand to scoop with just a pair of 9s and the SB complains that he folded bottom 2.

Recap of my play over these last few months

I've actually played a lot of poker in the last month or so since I've posted, easily hitting my 4 hour per week goal of playing cash.

I started this thread on 8/26/19 so it's now been 3 months.

if I filter my results for the last 3 months I have played 79.25 hours of cash at stakes between $1-2 and $5-5.

My hourly rate for that 3 month period is $96.02 and 23.24 bb per hour.

broken down by stake:
for $1/2 and $1/3 I played 48.5 hours I'm making $29.36 an hour and 12.47 bb per hour.
for $2/5 and $5/5 I played 30.75 hours and I'm making $201.044 an hour and 66.65 bb per hour

Cumulative total:
When I add my current 3 months of results to my previous results at stakes $5/5 and lower I'm now making $55.65 overall. for 17.63bb per hour.

K7s I can def get behind a preflop raise OTB.

Limping is had and calling 70 is really bad IMO.

On the flop, what are you targeting? It just seems like you flop 2p and raise but you aren't really thinking about he is probably folding all his bluffs, and that's bad, and you block a bunch of hands. I just call as played on flop.

Fold pre though, or raise on the btn. But whole hand is spewy IMO.

A-9dd I like a flop check, and possibly C/R.

I dont like betting the flop, and I dont like raising in EP with A9dd. A-6 through A-9 I think are almost worthless hands but I digress.

These are my thoughts. I've been wrong before and will be wrong again.

My $0.02

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3 bet or fold on button with the suited king, unless very passive in the blinds and not going to get squeezed. Online you are getting squeezed there all day.
Please teach me how to hit 2 outers for massive pots.
I never play A9s until the hijack or CO in full ring.

Last edited:
Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
K7s I can def get behind a preflop raise OTB.

Limping is had and calling 70 is really bad IMO.

On the flop, what are you targeting? It just seems like you flop 2p and raise but you aren't really thinking about he is probably folding all his bluffs, and that's bad, and you block a bunch of hands. I just call as played on flop.

Fold pre though, or raise on the btn. But whole hand is spewy IMO.

A-9dd I like a flop check, and possibly C/R.

I dont like betting the flop, and I dont like raising in EP with A9dd. A-6 through A-9 I think are almost worthless hands but I digress.

These are my thoughts. I've been wrong before and will be wrong again.

My $0.02

3 bet or fold on button with the suited king, unless very passive in the blinds and not going to get squeezed. Online you are getting squeezed there all day.
Please teach me how to hit 2 outers for massive pots.
I never play A9s until the hijack or CO in full ring.

yeah, I agree the K7s hand is pretty bad all around. given the table dynamic they are passive enough I'm gonna see a lot of flops for $15 but it's still probably better to raise or fold....leaning towards folding.

then yes, I just played it badly postflop as well.

the A9dd hand I think it's a fine opening hand from EP. perhaps it's a matter of personal style or choice but also I have access to some preflop cash ranges for both live and online from a source that I trust their content, and A9s is an open from all positions both live an online. that being said....I do question my post flop choices in this hand.

in general I tend to post the hands that I question my play the most. and these 2 hands from recent weeks are by far the 2 that stand out in my mind the most as being questionable/bad

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in general I tend to post the hands that I question my play the most. and these 2 hands from recent weeks are by far the 2 that stand out in my mind the most as being questionable/bad

I do the same, on here and on YouTube.

It's how we learn!😀

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the A9dd hand I think it's a fine opening hand from EP. perhaps it's a matter of personal style or choice but also I have access to some preflop cash ranges for both live and online from a source that I trust their content, and A9s is an open from all positions both live an online.

I was thinking about this a bit.....

I would be careful who you listen to in this regard..... people in live games are often so passive (1/2 and 1/3) they will only call you with dominated hands, as opposed to 3b. You will then most likely play the hand OOP for the duration of the hand, and A9s just doesn't flop well.

Especially someone giving advice for online and live. The two games are worlds apart. Exploitative is the way we play live low stakes. Our opponents are just really, REALLY bad at poker and we dont need to balance or anything FPS like that. Largely a game of making hands and punishing people for playing shitty cards by range f***ing them repeatedly and A9s is not going to range **** anyone. Likely some fish is gonna flat you with AJ and you are already behind.

When you move to 2/5 and you open hands like A-6 through A9s, you will get 3b loads and then what do you do? You will also be out of position with a hand that can't make a straight, doesn't flop many good TP hands (even if you flop a 9, many bad turn cards await you like 10, J, Q, K, that's 16 cards right there), and also people so passive at 1/2 they flat with TT, JJ, QQ as well.

I think it's a leak to open that hand in EP, unless you are a super duper good postflop player. I think your tournament experience may be spilling into your cash game sessions. I would seriously consider open folding A9s in EP TBH.

It's a trouble hand, and the importance of position can not be understated.

I am only trying to offer you my $0.02 and I hope what I said or how I said it doesn't come off wrong. 🙂

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was thinking about this a bit.....

I would be careful who you listen to in this regard..... people in live games are often so passive (1/2 and 1/3) they will only call you with dominated hands, as opposed to 3b. You will then most likely play the hand OOP for the duration of the hand, and A9s just doesn't flop well.

Especially someone giving advice for online and live. The two games are worlds apart. Exploitative is the way we play live low stakes. Our opponents are just really, REALLY bad at poker and we dont need to balance or anything FPS like that. Largely a game of making hands and punishing people for playing shitty cards by range f***ing them repeatedly and A9s is not going to range **** anyone. Likely some fish is gonna flat you with AJ and you are already behind.

When you move to 2/5 and you open hands like A-6 through A9s, you will get 3b loads and then what do you do? You will also be out of position with a hand that can't make a straight, doesn't flop many good TP hands (even if you flop a 9, many bad turn cards await you like 10, J, Q, K, that's 16 cards right there), and also people so passive at 1/2 they flat with TT, JJ, QQ as well.

I think it's a leak to open that hand in EP, unless you are a super duper good postflop player. I think your tournament experience may be spilling into your cash game sessions. I would seriously consider open folding A9s in EP TBH.

It's a trouble hand, and the importance of position can not be understated.

I am only trying to offer you my $0.02 and I hope what I said or how I said it doesn't come off wrong. 🙂

I appreciate the advice and it's exactly why I'm here. I'll certainly take that advice into account. You are probably correct about my tournament game spilling into my cash game, I'm positive this happens at times and I'm actively trying to decouple them.

just FWIW (not trying to defend my open to death...) but the preflop charts I have for cash use different ranges for live and online. for online the ranges have you open A2s-AKs. for live the ranges have you open A4s, A5s and A9s+ and instead of the other suited aces it has you open some more offsuit broadways that the online range folds. So I guess what I'm saying is that the hand in question (A9s) is at the margin, or bottom of that particular range and so it's reasonable that people will disagree about hands in the bottom of the range. I can see for sure that the inability to make straights is a problem.

In general the types of exploits and adjustments I'm learning to make are that if I'm at a passive table where few people 3b and there are many players to a flop I want to see a lot of cheap flops with hands that can win big pots. so...not trying to flop an ace multiway and go with it, but can end up in some nice flush over flush situations. conversely if I'm at a table where I am facing a lot of 3bets then the natural adjustment I make is to open fewer hands (drop the bottom of my range).

anyways....A9s is the bottom of the range so I can get behind either action.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your ranges are almost certainly for 6max.
I would advise a bit of time spent looking at full ring ranges. Preflop mastery is a key element of poker and keeps the game much simpler overall.
Obviously you can mix it up somewhat when you get deeper stacked in live games.
I remember using leakbuster with John Anhalt and it picked up too many suited aces in early position as a leak for both of us.
I still consider John one of the foremost authorities on cash games and he still replies to hands and queries posted in the Polished Poker thread in the CC cash games forum.

Last edited:
duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
K7 i hate the raise on the flop the most, lets call and force him to play OOP. Im fine with limping as long as we backraise sometimes.

A9s seems fine UTG give deep stacks. the answer to what do we do when 3bet is we fold lol

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your ranges are almost certainly for 6max.
I would advise a bit of time spent looking at full ring ranges. Preflop mastery is a key element of poker and keeps the game much simpler overall.
Obviously you can mix it up somewhat when you get deeper stacked in live games.
I remember using leakbuster with John Anhalt and it picked up too many suited aces in early position as a leak for both of us.
I still consider John one of the foremost authorities on cash games and he still replies to hands and queries posted in the Polished Poker thread in the CC cash games forum.

they're not 6max ranges. they are full ring ranges specific to live poker. and they were updated by the coaches 9/21 to reflect the current state of the game (slightly tighter due to higher rake, tougher games)

anyways I can still take the advice about my preflop ranges to heart. But also I will say when I started using this coaching website 2+ years ago I was making 5.5bb an hour at live cash and now I'm making 17.5bb per hour. I can attribute this mostly to the coaching I've received at this site....but not entirely. I am always looking for opinions from other sources and feel that I can learn from many different player types. so that's why I'm here.

It's all love! :)

Attachments

• 11-3-19 upswing 1.jpg
    11-3-19 upswing 1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 11-30-19 upswing 2.jpg
    11-30-19 upswing 2.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 11-30-19 upswing 3.jpg
    11-30-19 upswing 3.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 21
Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
K7 i hate the raise on the flop the most, lets call and force him to play OOP. Im fine with limping as long as we backraise sometimes.

A9s seems fine UTG give deep stacks. the answer to what do we do when 3bet is we fold lol

yeah I really butchered the hand. It's probably the worst hand I've played in months. I think I can limp/fold preflop. I think I can also ISO raise OTB preflop. on flop I should flat. agree 100%. then either flat turn jam river, or raise turn (depending on his bet size etc).

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ill play devils advocate and say i dont mind opening A9s From EP in a 9 handed 1/2 game, but its bottom of opening range and only becase i have a huge skill edge postflop.

That being said, I like the cbet on the flop, but when villain raises, i dont know why you would jam. I understand that its standard to semibluff all in with the NFD here, but this is 1/2 and in order to semibluff we need fold equity, and there is no fold equity here. I cant imagine youre actively targeting weaker draws for value here. 1/2 players generally dont bluff often enough to show up with a flop raise with a draw... i think generally speaking, unless you have this player read for an actual spewy maniac, we are behind and need to draw to a flush to win and we never get folds when the hes already put 60 in the middle. Jamming is effectively value-owning ourselfs. Id just call and check-decide turn.

Real Money Poker - Real Money Casinos Top 10 Games