Is it okay to fold 22-55 in 6 max?

T

thomasguy3419

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To avoid set over set is it okay to fold 22-55 in 6 max? In set over set situations I have lost with 33 twice, 44 once, 55 once and I'm sure it won't be the last time. I haven't lost with 66+ when I flop a set so I fold 22-55 always.

22-55
1. Low chance to flop a set.
2. Low chance to get paid off.
3. Higher chance to lose with a lower set.

66+
3. Higher chance to win with the highest set.
4. My money is more on these.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
yes, is ok to fold. but there's two types of fold, preflop e after flop.

preflop 55 is not a fold for example.
but if you open raise, and the board comes AJ9...

wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
If I am in late position and nobody raised ahead, I raise with 22-55, else I fold.
If I didn't hit the set and get raised postflop I fold, else I reraise.

BogdanP

BogdanP

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Always

In cash game is always ok to fold ‘em. You rarely get paid.

Plut41

Plut41

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been thinking on this after I lost couple of buyins here and there. Usually I try to play 22-55 if I am up against big pair and we both are deep then yes I might try to flop a set and stack the KK guy.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To avoid set over set is it okay to fold 22-55 in 6 max? In set over set situations I have lost with 33 twice, 44 once, 55 once and I'm sure it won't be the last time. I haven't lost with 66+ when I flop a set so I fold 22-55 always.

22-55
3. Higher chance to lose with a lower set.

66+
3. Higher chance to win with the highest set.
4. My money is more on these.

I would take into account:

How deep stacked you are -if you have a 30bb+ stack you're in good shape to set mine.
Your position -if you are in position on an opener you can X/raise c-bets if you do hit, and most likely get paid on a Ace high board.
Table dynamics -if it's a loose table you're more likely to get your draws paid off.
Bounty vs. Standard MTT -if this is tournament play, consider the added equity from bounties. This is particularly true ITM of PKO games where you'll find players with 3-4 bounties behind them.

Particularly in 6-max games the chances of a higher pocket pair making their set too is rare. Here's a quote from Blackrain - "...somebody will flop a higher set than you in a full ring cash game once every 7.8k hands. It is even more rare in a 6max game, where it will only happen once every 12.6k hands". Given this I wouldn't shy away from low pairs because someone may hit a higher set, if anything you're more likely to run into flush and straight draws that hit on later streets.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would stay in, to see what the flop is. If I don't get a trip, I'm out.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Is this a serious question or is it supposed to be fun? So for me I would immediately fold these hands like 22 55, especially in 6 max but of course it always depends on which position you have at the table and how many players are playing in this hand. If someone raises preflop then I would fold these cards. And then it also depends on how far I'm already in the tournament and how many chips I still have. So they say yes every hand can be the winning hand but I count 22 55 to the garbage cards and don't give them too much value, so I find it easy to fold them. Although I don't want to say that I never play it, but it just depends on the situation.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Would I fold these hand Pre flop if the situation called for a fold? Yes I would. Would I just fold these hand normally, No. If someone raises and I cant cant win enough to call if I flop a set I fold. Do I worry about set over set. Not really as its very rare to happen. Does it? yes but that's part of the game.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would depend to a large degree on my stack. If my stack was low, I would just go all-in.

Piligrin66

Piligrin66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, you can't fold any pair, you have to play to the end, I've seen a lot of hands where players win with 22 or 55, they catch a set and the opponent has AA or KK.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recommend you try and find yourself a good set of preflop ranges to study and begin working from.

I say this because there are many positions in which smaller pocket pairs are clear opens and some of the hands you mentioned are even calls vs 3 bets in the right position.

Saying you've gotten set over setted with the small pairs discounts the money you should be making from strong one pair hands.

Over a large sample you shouldn't be too worried about what you are getting set over setted with, thats just variance. What you should be working on is finding out what hands you're supposed to be playing from where and doing that correctly, this will definitely include opening and calling with some of the small pairs you mentioned depending on positions

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If theres a lot of preflop action it's definitlely ok to fold. It's ok to fold in early position as well. It's really not that bad to just fold anytime, but if the price is cheap and the odds are good you may as well call.

Folding in Poker