Is it a mistake calling preflop raise with 45s in the small blind?

T

Tuan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Full Table of 9 Players $2/$5 Blinds

Seat 7, 8, 9 Fold
Seat 1 Fold
Seat 2 is Loose, Aggressive and He Limp In ($600)
Seat 3 Fold
Seat 4 is Loose, Aggressive BTN and He Over Limp ($250)
Seat 5 is Hero with 45s on the SB, Complete the blinds ($280)
Seat 6 is Loose Aggressive on the Big Blind raise $35, Seat 1 call the $35, Seat 4 also call $35; Should I make a call here with 45s in the small blind?

Well, I call with 45 diamonds.

Flop: Ad 2d 8c

Hero SB check, BB the raiser check, Seat 2 bet $100, Seat 4 fold; back to hero, my stacks is now $245 and I have 13 outs to win out right if he only have a pair of A; the pot is $140+$100; I decided to move All In here with my 13 outs; Big Blind fold, Seat 2 called with his two pair A2s Hearts. The result didn't matter much.

Was calling pre-flop with 45s Diamonds a mistake? and Did I make the right play on the flop pushing all in with my 13 outs?

Tuan
Thanks

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you only have 12 outs
You are shortstacked & has the worst position in the table. Why are you short?Buy in full stack.
Don't think calling BBs raise is profitable there. Maybe if you are 100BB deep.
On the flop GIIing seems fine. Limping behind pre seems fine I think.
I'd 3bet or fold pre from SB if there was raise action

Ikeman74

Ikeman74

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are last to call.You get good odds for calling so I would definately defend my SB and call.But after the Flop I would fold to that big bet.You have not invested very much compared to your stack,but you could be playing against a set or a better Flushdraw.Yo could hit better with a set yourself or an already completed Flush.I would fold here! :cool:

C

champ_mc99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Using the 4 2 rule you have a 52% chance of making a straight/flush by the river so not really a bad shove?

C

champ_mc99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you only have 12 outs
You are shortstacked & has the worst position in the table. Why are you short?Buy in full stack.
Don't think calling BBs raise is profitable there. Maybe if you are 100BB deep.
On the flop GIIing seems fine. Limping behind pre seems fine I think.
I'd 3bet or fold pre from SB if there was raise action
He has 13 outs: nine diamonds and four 3s.

T

Tuan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Add: this is live game max buy-in was $300 with blinds $2/$5. Thank You Guys!

roterdama

roterdama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Add: this is live game max buy-in was $300 with blinds $2/$5. Thank You Guys!
i think good all in! next time you get lucky! 30% hee wins and 70 % you get wins! good luck evrbody at tables!:D:D:jd4::jd4:

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
think it's a good all-in on your part you had enough outs to hit and win the pot to bad it didn't turn out how you wanted it to go, But next time you should just play it the same way and you would maybe have a fav chance to win that time. gl!

Ikeman74

Ikeman74

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I said,I think it is OK to call preflop.
But I really dont like the Check on the Flop.
I think U should make a little Blockbet there,to avoid a big Bet as it has come then.
And I think it shoud be 1/3 of the pot,so that it matches with your Potodds.
If then someone raised U,U can still fold.
Otherwise,U see the next Card for the Prize,that U could pay Urself,as if someone else would bet 1/3 of the Pot.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Why to go all in? You could make a biger raise. It would be better for you. You would not risk all your stack.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
oh yeah - im an idiot :rolleyes:

Ummm…...you are not an "idiot" because you are actually thinking about the situation at hand AND....you seem open to changing your mind.

I also miscount my outs if I am acting too quickly.

I also like to at least think about what my opponent's holdings are and if he has any of my outs in his pocket.

Good luck !

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
maybe im missing something here but i would fold to the raise preflop. 45s and im only down $5. am i reading the situation right? i dont like the low suited cards and i dont like the possition.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How is 45s going to play out? Odds for making a flush are like 1 to 120 odds od a str8 are like 1 to 65. If you fold a combo draw it'll take your whole stack to draw. Fold pre especially from worst position.

VMVarga

VMVarga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You were looking at 43% chance of winning, and him with about 56%. Your equity is high because of all the draws you have.

I actually like the preflop play. The preflop equity was 55% to 44% for A2 spades vs 45 diamonds. Unfortunately you didn't hit one of your outs this time, but that wont always be the case. If you were reading him as loose aggressive, I think it would make even more sense. Make no mistake, you must have known you were gambling by putting it all on those draws, but that doesn't have any relevance to skill or quality of play. I have moved all in with only 30% or so, and when it works, it feels great, but when it does not, you always tend to question yourself.

When things are this close to being 50/50 odds (and had you been right about him only having top pair top kicker, you would have been at just over 48%), I don't really see how anyone can blame you for either move, folding or moving in. As with all coin flips, if you fold, you had 50% chance of winning, and if you move all in (call or shove) you have 50% chance of winning.

I suppose half of the replies will tell you you should have folded, and half of them will tell you that the right move was jamming. That's a bit of statistics humor for you.

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im folding 45s in SB preflop - but would call it on BNT.

Its always messy to play 5 high out of position in a multiway pot :D

You should also consider to auto rebuy to full stack.
And of course use bankroll management, so you can play by odds
with no fear of loosing your last money ;)