If you play JJ, QQ, 10,10 like this, your playing them wrong.

white_lytning

white_lytning

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, but if your stack is only 10xbb then shoving w QQ is absolutely correct no matter who opened for the initial raise, or if you are opening first yourself, or moving in on the flop no matter what comes. Yes, in a cash game too. Are you going to raise to 3-4x bb, then fold to a reraise when you only have 6-7x back?

True, But my OP wasn't about being short stacked. If you only have 10x the BB in a 2/5 or 5/10 game you are in trouble to start and your chip stack allows the all-in pf move to work for a lot more hands.

I mentioned the 10x raise because it is also a play made by a lot of players with these types of hands, its a basic strong means weak play and is easily readable and dealt with by a good player. If the player has been making 3-5x raises for the past 2 hours and then makes a 10x raise, most of the time something is up. For the weak player this big bet is a sign of weakness and fear. A good player will call you with a wide variety of hands if they can put you on one of those three for a 10x to go bet. They can try to make a play before or after the flop based on what hits.

And philthy, I'm pretty sure most people understood what I meant when I said "wrong." Sorry if my diction was not perfect.

G

GoodWoodRR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer seeing flops with these hands.

rindhoops

rindhoops

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ cost me dear lately

worst thing you could do, giving your opponent free cards to beat you :confused: :( :(

After having a run of getting knocked out of several tournies in a row with QQ
I have to agree these hands are not for all-in preflop, I wouldn't limp either, I'm thinking min raise and take it from there.

RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ-JJ-1010 ETC!

Poor players? OR, SMART players?? I wouldn't push 10xs BB OR push ALL IN EVERY time I got QQ, JJ, 1010 OR 99 OR any pocket pair!! (Or would I?) The trick to playing QUALITY Poker, I think, is to KEEP YOUR OPPONENT GUESSING! I may, or may not push w/Qs--Definatly NOT EVERY TIME! Maybe just every other time, OR every third time, OR every 6th time, OR NEVER!!! Get it????:rolleyes:

B

Bobmurphy07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow I just want to say I really appreciate this advice, I'm a tournament player that has a hard time transitioning to cash games, and those are very large trouble hands for me. My problem is knowing when to lay down AA, is it possible? I'm talking post flop with a rainbow board and no pairs on the board. my AA seems to get beat out by 2 pair and trips on these flops wayyy too often.

smokin-aces

smokin-aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After having a run of getting knocked out of several tournies in a row with QQ
I have to agree these hands are not for all-in preflop, I wouldn't limp either, I'm thinking min raise and take it from there.

i didnt say shove i said the worst thing you could do is give your opponents free cards to beat you dont know how you think thats the same thing :confused:, but seriously pf min raise is a horrible play with QQ, maybe if your trapping its slightly less horrible, but definetly a horrible standard play that will be a huge leak in your game, i suggest you stop doing this asap

FatLane

FatLane

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My problem is knowing when to lay down AA, is it possible? I'm talking post flop with a rainbow board and no pairs on the board. my AA seems to get beat out by 2 pair and trips on these flops wayyy too often.

This demonstrates the importance of a strong but reasonable pre-flop raise. The fewer opponents you have going into the flop the less likely you are to get busted with off hands.

Always be thinking about what your opponent might have to call your pre-flop raise. if the flop comes 6s 2d 9c I wouldn't be to concerned about two pair. I would be more concerned with him flopping a set. There's really nothing you can do to prevent an opponent from flopping a set, and it's nearly impossible to get him to lay it down.

If the flop comes Ks 9s Td, then I would be much more concerned. I would be more than willing to lay down my A's if my opponent raises my continuation bet, or pushes all in.

Now matter how pretty they are sitting next to each other, Ace's aren't worth dying for.

T

thasauce7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try raising 3x to 4x in a 1/2 live cash game. Then watch seven calls ensue.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you are putting money in the pot as a > 1/n favorite where n is the number of players to the flop, tend to get as much money into the pot as possible in cash games

G

gns2003

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
queens to tens are very hard to play. i like to vary my raises, but centered around 3x to 4x. if only one over post flop i will generally continuation bet. depends on the read i have on those remaining in the pot.