Ideal time to climb from NL2 to NL5/NL10.

How long do you consider it reasonable to leave NL2, if you start with a bank of 15-20 dollars?

• less than 2 weeks

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 2-3 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 month

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 2-3 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • more than 3 months

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Fernando_RO

Fernando_RO

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
How long do you consider it reasonable to leave NL2, if you start with a bank of 15-20 dollars?
Considering you're studying, but you're not a regular with enough experience.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Considering you're studying, but you're not a regular with enough experience.
It is more about when you are ready (I.e. comfortably winning at 2NL) and have the right bankroll. So it will very much vary from person to person, but I wouldn't rush and think it is likely to take months rather than weeks.

In terms of bankroll requirements ideally you would want 40 buy ins at 5NL before moving up, I.e. $200, so it will take a while to get there. You could shot take sooner, e.g. at $100, 20 buy ins, but you must be prepared to move back down should it not go well and you lose say 4 or 5 buy ins.

Personally I moved up from 2NL to 5NL too soon and had to move back down.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd highly recommend the entire video linked below, but for your particular question the "using Kelly Criterion" chapter is a good way to determine what stake to play based on your bankroll size and RoI at 2NL. I'm not a cash player, but I'd assume you'll want a good sample size of hands (50K+) to have a solid average bb/100 won and at least 50 buy-ins for your desired stake before moving up to 5NL, unless you're not concerned about having to reload if you lose your roll.

Managing Bankroll: Kelly Criterion Chapter

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that if you consider yourself a good player and master the techniques and read the hands and players well, you can advance without problems, but a single wrong hand reading can ruin everything at any table, if in doubt, fold

valduer

valduer

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It is more about when you are ready (I.e. comfortably winning at 2NL) and have the right bankroll. So it will very much vary from person to person, but I wouldn't rush and think it is likely to take months rather than weeks.

In terms of bankroll requirements ideally you would want 40 buy ins at 5NL before moving up, I.e. $200, so it will take a while to get there. You could shot take sooner, e.g. at $100, 20 buy ins, but you must be prepared to move back down should it not go well and you lose say 4 or 5 buy ins.

Couldn't agree more.
From my observation 2NL to 5NL is also quite an adjustment because in 2NL there are alot of maniacs (e.g. playing no look allins or similar moves) which you rarely find on higher levels

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Depending upon which site you're playing at, there's a BIG difference in the play between 2nl & 5nl. (at 888Poker there's not as much difference.. 5nl there plays much like 2nl on other sites).
At 2nl there are MANY calling stations & Maniacs. It is easy to play very basic style of poker and be profitable. In 5nl you will come across some players who have lots of experience and the game will be played differently from 2nl.

It also depends on how much time you can spend playing and how much time you can spend studying. Try not to be in a hurry... try to 'enjoy the process'. (winning is more fun vs. losing). You might only need to spend 1month at 2nl... but maybe much more.

I'd suggest playing 2nl until you feel comfortable at beating those tables/players. I would also stick with it until you're playing at least 4-tables simultaneously. Then try playing a bit at 5nl (maybe add one table in with the others).

One way that will help to speed up the process is to post Hand Histories for analysis in the 'Cash Game' section on Cardschat. Keep in mind that the suggestions/advice in those threads won't always be optimal/good but you can peruse through, taking what you like and leaving the rest.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

I think @Station_Master had put everything in a clear way, it all depends on many things. I just would like to add that you have to know your own game style applied to your bankroll management: if you are more tight it would be required less buy-ins.
And paraphrasing our dear mate, never be in a rush or in a hurry to climb stakes: look to the stakes as of semesters of a graduation/college course: in the first semester we must master the basics and the fundamentals of poker, and we are approved in these disciplines by beating NLHE 2.
The second semester we are going to get deeper into meta-thinking, value of position, etc
The comparison is just didactic to illustrate how complicated things can be under the terms of praxis and theory. (I’m not stating by any means that it should take 6 months for us to climb to one stake to another, or that the mentioned contents are going to be the same)
But I continue with this comparison, and when we get in the 5th semester (NLHE 25) we must have a very complete mindset, a profound experience and knowledge of balancing (GTO) and be very good in reading hands and opponents, just to begin with.
At least in pokerstars, where at NLHE 10 we would already find very sophisticated and even hard average regulars: even the fishes are tough.
Most important than quantity is quality, so do not trouble yourself making plans for weeks or months to come, keep studying, participating here in the forum and let the chips fall as they may!

Last edited:
Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Depending upon which site you're playing at, there's a BIG difference in the play between 2nl & 5nl. (at 888Poker there's not as much difference.. 5nl there plays much like 2nl on other sites).
At 2nl there are MANY calling stations & Maniacs. It is easy to play very basic style of poker and be profitable. In 5nl you will come across some players who have lots of experience and the game will be played differently from 2nl.

It also depends on how much time you can spend playing and how much time you can spend studying. Try not to be in a hurry... try to 'enjoy the process'. (winning is more fun vs. losing). You might only need to spend 1month at 2nl... but maybe much more.

I'd suggest playing 2nl until you feel comfortable at beating those tables/players. I would also stick with it until you're playing at least 4-tables simultaneously. Then try playing a bit at 5nl (maybe add one table in with the others).

One way that will help to speed up the process is to post Hand Histories for analysis in the 'Cash Game' section on Cardschat. Keep in mind that the suggestions/advice in those threads won't always be optimal/good but you can peruse through, taking what you like and leaving the rest.
Very good posting, take a look into it dear @Fernando_RO