ICM

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Care to explain what it is? I no nothing about it except what it stands for.

independent chip model

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really haven't learned much about it (yet), but from what I know it's basically your equity in the prize pool in tournaments.

So basically, the more chips you have compared to the other players, the better chance you have of winning, the bigger your equity in the prize pool.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds to me like a program that calculates the EV of every move...hadn't heard of that before.

Lo-Dog

Lo-Dog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope I got this all right.

ICM helps you make bubble decisions based on your prize pool equity.

Here is an example:

$10 10 player SNG, 4 left, pays out 50%, 30%, 20%

Stack sizes are all the same, so we have 25% equity.

All in in front of us and we figure to be 60-40 fav.

Our equity if we double up will be 38%. (This is where you do a bunch of math or use an ICM calcuater, of course I used the calculater.)

So... 60% we win 60 x 38 = 2280 /100 = 22.8
40% we get bubbled = 0

ZOMG! our equity dropped from 25 to 22.8 so making this call costs you $2.20 vs folding.

There are several good articles on this of which I won't post a link since some are at other forums, google it.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only necessary to SNG's, really. since i dont play those much i dont consider myself an expert on icm.

it's basically a chips vs. prize pool equity thing that you use to make marginal decisions easier late game.

Lo-Dog

Lo-Dog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bump for the afternoon evening crowd.

If you play a lot of SNG's and don't know about ICM, this is a problem.

google is your friend.

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to describe it better than lo-dog, but I can't because I will confuse myself. Basically it's a mathematical process used near the bubble, and after the bubble for money positions, to determine when to shove, when to call a shove, and when to fold - mostly based on equity and the prize payout structure.

There are several programs out there where you input chip stacks, players, blinds and payout structures and it will do the icm math for you on shoving v folding. I use the programs after I finish my SNGs for the day (If I'm not drunk) to analyze my play and help me determine if I made the correct plays. I personally use SnG power tools, but there is also SnGwiz. I won't post the links (not sure if can) but google them. Both are great and very helpful. For better info and a free ICM calculator follow this link ICM Calculator :: Chillin411.com.

Hope this helps, misch.

Beavis68

Beavis68

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it uses your stack size compared to the other stacks at the table and total chips in play to determine the likely hood that you will come in each remain place in the tournament.

It then uses those values to determine your equity in the tournament.

Let me give a really basic example. Lets say you have 100 chips in and your two opponents have 1500 each and you are in the money in a SnG paying $50 $30 $20 if you fold a hand your ICM calculates you will have an 85% chance of going out 3rd 10% chance of going out 2nd and 5% chance of winning (I am completely making up these numbers)

this makes your fold equity .85*20+.10*30+.05*50 = $22.5 in equity
busting out you have $20 equity
you repeat the calculation for winning the pot and you can use those numbers to compare your various options and how often you need to win to make calling/pushing better than folding.

You can also use it vs certain hand ranges to see if your push/call adds equity or not.