Did I play my three of a kind Aces wrong here?

P

Pokerlydokerly

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Still fairly new to poker and playing microstakes but getting to a point where I generally make a bit of profit or break even

$2 buy in, $0.01/0.02 blinds
My stack is at $3.61

I'm BB with As 5s
Folds all round to SB who raises to 0.06
I call. Just me and him left.

Flop: 9d Ac Ad
SB bets 0.09
I call

Turn: Js
SB bets 0.21
I raise to 0.42
He goes all in ($2 total)
I call

River: Qh
9AAJQ on the table

He shows AQ for a full house! Damn!

I thought I was pretty good with AAA.
Should I have assumed he had the same with a higher kicker pre-river? Obviously he had me even before the queen came at the end but my thinking was that with AA on the table and an ace in my pocket then the chance he has the last ace is slim. I'm thinking he has maybe KK at best!

I managed to recover and eventually leave the table with my stack at $2.71 thankfully but that hand nearly made me give up and leave!

Stevan

Stevan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still fairly new to poker and playing microstakes but getting to a point where I generally make a bit of profit or break even

My stack is at $3.61

I'm BB with As 5s

SB bets 0.09
I call

SB bets 0.21
I raise to 0.42
I call

9AAJQ on the table

Should I have assumed he had the same with a higher kicker pre-river? Obviously he had me even before the queen came at the end but my thinking was that with AA on the table and an ace in my pocket then the chance he has the last ace is slim. I'm thinking he has maybe KK at best!

I managed to recover and eventually leave the table with my stack at $2.71 thankfully but that hand nearly made me give up and leave!

Well, he raised you from the SB, so the chances that he has A with stronger kicker are really low, plus two A's on the flop. I mean you could avoid it, but really hard, I don't see your play as a mistake, just unlucky.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
from my expierence if someone bets you so hard on nl2 then he just has it. Most optimal lime without information is just call flop, call turn, fold river. Raising turn is senseless. You just get calls or raises from better hands because you just have a weak kicker and you are beaten by many better aces, fulls houses etc. But as I have my own strategy for micro limits who avoids spots like that, probably I would just call flop and fold turn. From databases review 2 years ago people just don't bluff so much in that spots. Even on wide ranges. It seems weak but it can save you a lot of money.

anyway based on high rake on micro probably I would 3bet this hand preflop as a bluff. It depends.

R

rdpoker5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say that he has a range advantage on this board, so calling down with a hand like yours seems the right play. Since you did not reraise preflop. you do not have the best aces (like AK) and full houses. When he ships the turn you are always behind. I would just call flop and turn and reevaluate on the river. The way you played, I would call his allin with AQ and fold all worse aces.

R

rdpoker5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends. I do not always 3b AQo vs sb open. You can get a lot more value if you keep some of your good hands in your calling range.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends. I do not always 3b AQo vs sb open. You can get a lot more value if you keep some of your good hands in your calling range.

on micro- high rake, plus villains call too many bad hands= 3bet > call
higher limits- pretty standard 3bet

I can't imagine I call it pre. Maybe if some super nit guy opens or some recreational player who limps everything but opens only top range.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 bet preflop and see what he does. Use your position here. If he 4 bets, fold. If he just calls you can pretty much put him on a similar hand as your or any pair 10's and under and strong K's. Standard steal raise from the sb so a 3 bet defines his hand better.

As played....I don't like the raise on the turn. I'd have raised on the flop instead and if he repops....that should be a red flag that you're outkicked.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The initial reraise was fine once he shoved all in should have been a sign that either he caught and boat on the flop or he had a higher kicker.

P

Pokerlydokerly

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
from my expierence if someone bets you so hard on nl2 then he just has it. Most optimal lime without information is just call flop, call turn, fold river. Raising turn is senseless. You just get calls or raises from better hands because you just have a weak kicker and you are beaten by many better aces, fulls houses etc. But as I have my own strategy for micro limits who avoids spots like that, probably I would just call flop and fold turn. From databases review 2 years ago people just don't bluff so much in that spots. Even on wide ranges. It seems weak but it can save you a lot of money.

anyway based on high rake on micro probably I would 3bet this hand preflop as a bluff. It depends.

Yeah I get what you mean, should have called the turn and folded the river

I would say that he has a range advantage on this board, so calling down with a hand like yours seems the right play. Since you did not reraise preflop. you do not have the best aces (like AK) and full houses. When he ships the turn you are always behind. I would just call flop and turn and reevaluate on the river. The way you played, I would call his allin with AQ and fold all worse aces.

Didn't really occur to me to reraise preflop with just the two of us left there. Then again I haven't done a lot of preflop reraises even with AK since most of the time I miss the flop haha

3 bet preflop and see what he does. Use your position here. If he 4 bets, fold. If he just calls you can pretty much put him on a similar hand as your or any pair 10's and under and strong K's. Standard steal raise from the sb so a 3 bet defines his hand better.

As played....I don't like the raise on the turn. I'd have raised on the flop instead and if he repops....that should be a red flag that you're outkicked.

Yeah, if this scenario happens again I think I will not raise on the turn and see how it plays out.

The initial reraise was fine once he shoved all in should have been a sign that either he caught and boat on the flop or he had a higher kicker.

You're right and I was so focussed on my triple A's I neglected to think about how he might have hit the full house. Just so hard to let that hand go.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played it correctly pre-flop. With suited A in these SB vs BB situations you can opt to re-raise from time to time, but calling is just fine.

As for the villain's shove, I have to say that in my experience, online players always have it when shoving strong like that. It was at least an Ax but most likely full house (not necessarily AQ/AJ/A9 boats but there are some 99s and JJs there too), so you could have found a fold, regardless, I would have called in your spot just the same!

As for the V's range of hands in general, I think everyone makes a mistake thinking SB should be betting super wide range to steal that one bb. Cash games are not tournaments! There is no need to play some weird hand like T7o or Q8s from the SB since the blinds don't cost too much! SB has A most of the time, as well as pocket pairs and some good Kx, Qx hands..

TravelerLloyd

TravelerLloyd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That my friend is what they czall gambling. Now the skill you and I have to learn after that is to put them on a hand and with online unless we play with them a lot, it will be somewhat difficult to do it effecikently and correctly more than 90% of the time.

See those pros, in the live games especially know exactly waht the other one is holding and has a range of cards that they put them on as the flop, turna nd river come, they can place them on an even smaller range and some pro's know exactly what the other one is holding.

We havn't gotten to that point yet. But we will get there!

My stack is at $3.61

I'm BB with As 5s

SB bets 0.09
I call

SB bets 0.21
I raise to 0.42
I call

9AAJQ on the table

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a bit of a tough spot, mainly because it's micro stakes and he opened from the small blind so his range in the average case is pretty wide. However the fact that he double barrelled into a 3-bet shove does look unmistakably strong. Consider what his range could be at that point; better aces and pocket pairs in the range of K-9 are the most likely, and occasionally an aggressive bluff like KJ or QJ that happened to connect with the turn -- possibly also something like K9 or Q9 depending on the player. Most of the time, you're crushed here; you're hoping to get your value off of the high pocket pairs, but unfortunately two of them have made boats here, so you're only cashing in off of TT, QQ, and KK. Aside from that, you do beat the one pair Js or 9s, but those are not too likely in this range. Your EV is not great here overall, but you're also fairly committed, and like I said before, in micro stakes you do have to give more weight to the possibility of the opponent overplaying a mediocre hand. I do think the correct play is to fold in general, but you shouldn't feel too bad about it.

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely!!!!! :D:D:D

The question isn't if you were right or wrong playing a hand that way.. I more see something like what could you have done to play this hand a better way and control the damages.

I mean, it's not play badly.. basic raise preflop with a flat call to defend your blind, you hit post so yes just a flat call is kind of ok with your kicker for now.. bet, raise, 3-bet on turn.. I think the rection of your opponent is the key for a call or fold.. on the turn when he shoved, did he snap? When he lead, was it quick? What about your raise on the turn, how did you do it? Was it representing the nut at this point?

Another thing to consider, lowest micro stake I don't really know if it was possible to make your opponent fold at any point.

-TRP-

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cal on turn:
1)SB range is wide
2)On turn his blufing range might improved to semi bluff so let him bluf till river that range
3) you are in position so you can raise on river

Fold on turn to shove.
Im suprised that he dont had FH on turn (because of big sizing)
In this spot at most otimistic scenariuo you would beat A4 A3 A2 all other combos beats you (few splits depends on river)

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

My stack is at $3.61

I'm BB with As 5s

SB bets 0.09
I call

SB bets 0.21
I raise to 0.42
I call

9AAJQ on the table

The only other thing would to have gone all in after the flop, if he had a small kicker he may have folded, but highly unlikely. The outcome would have been the same. It happens.

Garcia9000

Garcia9000

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Mmm i guess that’s depends on the opponent, if he sees more than 40% of flips or is a fish, i would play the same as you as he could be bluffing..
But if it’s a tight agressive regular then you are dead.
He’s especting you to have a weaker A,
It’s the same if only 1 A is on the flop; very difficult to play.
Vs a regular I would play here passively

gallocobain

gallocobain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he were a bluffer I'd call. If he were tight I'd fold.

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see it as a mistake rather as an experience that'll make you wiser in a way that now you will look for the signs that you didnt even notice before, especially with cc members help. Personally, I can't say that I would usually do the same right now,it's that small kicker that bugs me, I'm usually afraid that a villain has a stronger one when mine is lower than 10, so I try not to play those hands. Hope you'll get him next time :)

W

Wiflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played this perfectly I would have done the same things. Chalk this one up to variance. I wouldn't have put him on AQ.

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played you can not fold. The only way to get out was preflop if you had 3 bet him and he 4 bets you then fold. Once you see this flop you go broke

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this pretty much sums up my thoughts on this hand. SB vs BB a flat or a 3 bet are both fine in my opinion. Against tighter players flat against the loose guys 3 bet. Since we didn't 3 bet I agree we should be calling down flop and turn. When we raise turn what do we expect to get called by that we can also beat? The board looks really scary to anyone without an Ace or a boat. We are then putting stacks in play and risking our whole stack in a spot where we really don't expect many weaker hands to call. Maybe a diamond draw will still come along but that's even a stretch on a paired board. If we just call the 21 cents on the turn the pot isn't big enough for him to jam river. So we can just call again on the river and likely save $1.50 or so when we are beat. We don't necessarily win less when we are ahead either because if we raise at any time then our opponent may shut down instead of continuing to bluff. So by taking this line we can simultaneously limit our losses and increase our wins since raising makes hands like KK or KQdd slow down or even fold instead of continuing to bet.

maksonios

maksonios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Typical cooler, you played well.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you have to make a fold here. It’s painful but you have to do it. When he shoves you have to realize he has all the full houses in his range of hands. When he goes all in it’s either a bluff or he’s got a full house. If villain was very loose and playing a ton of hands the same way, I’d play it similar but if they seemed like a tight player you should just click fold and move on to a better situation that’s easier to navigate

K

kbolding7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a lot of aces in his range compared to how wide it would be from the small blind. This is just a part of variance and there is no real way to get away from it.