Did I play j10 off suit right

T

Tommyc9494

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So for some reason I can’t get this hand out of my head will you all be so kind as to give me your thoughts on how I played it

So the hero is in a 0.2/0.5 6 handed cash game on the button I get dealt 10c js off suit everyone folds to me and I open the pot with a 3 bb raise hoping to steal the pot

The s.b folds and the big blind calls i haven’t got any information about the villain as this is his first hand on the table and I’m pretty sure we have never met before

The flop comes 10s 7d 4c the villain checks to me and I bet 20 cents into the pot and the villain raises me the pot I automatically think potential monster but that happening on the villains first hand is pretty unlikely so I call the bet

The turn brings another 7h this time the villain does the same thing and checks to me again on 10s 7d 4c 7h board I decided to bet and attempte to take the pot here I bet half pot again and the villain shoved all in

I think about this for a while I know doubt he has a monster because this feels like an unusual play to me there’s no chance of him being on a straight or a flush and I highly doubt he has a 10 because I have a 10 but he might and I’m pretty confident there’s no 7 in his hand either but again it might be I put him on a bluff and decide to make the call the villain shows 8h 5h and the river brings a lovely j of clubs to give me 2 pair

Despite me winning the pot I still feel I was lucky and could of perhaps played this slightly different

Darke

Darke

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally would have folded and not looked him up at that time. People tend to defend the BB with a wide range especially against the button raise, so a 7 could easily be in his range

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unusual plays smell suspicious. If he did have you beat it would have been a poker blooper as get check raised twice. Good call I might have actually cut it loose.

C

ChipCommander

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Top pair at microstakes is a gold mine :) Unless you are up against someone who has above the starting buyin, it's usually a good idea to pound the pot with your chips. If you don't know how they are playing just play tight and watch for a while til you see how they are playing then you will be more comfortable when deciding what to do.

Also, you did misplay it. Microstakes is not the place to be blind stealing. If you thought that you had the best hand preflop and were betting for value then that same play was fantastic. ;) JT is a multiplayer hand not a heads up one. Your play makes you hard to read at least. :)

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess you mean 0.02/0.05
1. Preflop it is fine to open JTo from BTN

2. Against check-raise on the flop, I would assign
AA/KK, 89,56 and big blind special two pairs, and occasionally AT

3. Don't see you need to bet the turn as your hand does not improve.

4. This is a very aggressive play by villain. I think you don't need to call down these spots (how big is the effective stack by the way?) to be profitable and actually I think you will be beaten more frequently than you win against average pool.

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is villain deep or short in this scenario?? If you're about even in stacks, and 100 bbs deep, folding would be in our category. But If for some reason villain is short, no way we're getting away here. There may even be some instances where I'm stacking off with j10 against villain(depending on player tendencies). NH!