Did I play this hand correctly? (pissed off pro)

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't get the whole "set ground rules" thing. I thought one player per hand(except for when in a lesson, and they're not even at the table), went without saying.

I also don't get how it was a friendly game. That "lady" wasn't friendly. I'm not so sure that what she was doing wasn't just downright rude! That whole "Lemme see your cards" then telling him what to do in a different language(and isn't that more grating than if she had just whispered in his ear?) is rude. It's especially rude in a social situation. Rude because it made you, and maybe even your wife uncomfortable. An adult should know better.

I'm sorry I read the thread. Now I just wanna pull that woman's hair and start a good old fashioned girl-fight! I haven't even met her and wanna kick her ass.

Now I ask you, is that a good way for me to react/feel? Heck no! But yeah, I wanna beat her up.

Bright side, I think I like Phil Laak better now.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't get the whole "set ground rules" thing. I thought one player per hand(except for when in a lesson, and they're not, and they're not even at the table), went without saying.

This is true, but the problem is that in previous earlier situations the offending parties were not called on it. To then point out that they are now in violation necessarily gives away something about your hand in this situation, namely that you are weak. Prior enforcement, or at least comment, would have allowed for another comment here without displaying weakness.

Anyway, I recommend that anyone having a home game hire a professional dealer to run their game, in which case this situation would never have come up.

ryaned

ryaned

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let see...you're playing in a home game with friends and play chips and your upset over what???????????

H

Hovhannes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let see...you're playing in a home game with friends and play chips and your upset over what???????????

Already said - friend was ready to fold. He was going to fold since he only had one pair and his wife told him to play after looking at his cards. He pushed his chips in totally thinking he was going to lose but because she told him to.

"Just for fun" or not, that ain't right.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Already said - friend was ready to fold. He was going to fold since he only had one pair and his wife told him to play after looking at his cards. He pushed his chips in totally thinking he was going to lose but because she told him to.

"Just for fun" or not, that ain't right.

true, one player to a hand, but...

This is true, but the problem is that in previous earlier situations the offending parties were not called on it. To then point out that they are now in violation necessarily gives away something about your hand in this situation, namely that you are weak. Prior enforcement, or at least comment, would have allowed for another comment here without displaying weakness.

Anyway, I recommend that anyone having a home game hire a professional dealer to run their game, in which case this situation would never have come up.

should have called the earlier on it (when you wanted the call w the better kicker?)--- or hire that pro dealer.

Seriously, it is supposed to be ONE PLAYER TO A HAND, but in this case, not much recourse, and really, thus not much reason to be upset, as previous inaction should have indicated to you that this would happen again at a critical time...
[no comment necessary on the "pro" trying to bluff the donk off top pair in a freeroll...]

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
See, the last few replies have been what was needed. Intelligent posts in reply to my initial post, not making jabs because I dared to use the work "pro" or said that I "gave the stare"
;)

yea whats up with that , they messed up a very funny thread. :p

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now I just wanna pull that woman's hair and start a good old fashioned girl-fight! I haven't even met her and wanna kick her ass.

Now I ask you, is that a good way for me to react/feel? Heck no! But yeah, I wanna beat her up.

Wow! A little pent up aggression huh? Can't tell if I'm disturbed or turned on by the girl on girl violence. Probably the latter.:p

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Wait, so it's just friends together playing for no money, and they should spend money on a dealer? I do agree that if breaking that rule mattered he would have mentioned it earlier. If you're just playing for play chips and didn't care that much this wouldn't really matter, but I think any game where a loss would get you upset enough to post it on a poker forum should be one in which all players know and follow the rules. I guess a pro dealer would work but having people understand the rules is the first step.

Our school had a ton of free events with prizes for winners (so although it was free, still an incentive to win). It got really frustrating when someone would re-raise a 50 chip raise by putting 10 on top and the dealer wouldn't know the rules, or when the dealers would negotiate with the players not to bet because it would be too hard to make side pots. Luckily our independent real-money game is run smoothly, we're all pretty good friends but still play to win and understand the rules. It's a lot more fun that way.

So while I certainly understand the frustration of the OP, just realize that it was just for fun with no money at stake and that people will call with a lot more when a loss doesn't mean they lose money anyway. Also if enforcing the rules matters to you, make sure they are enforced from the beginning, and not only when they impact a big hand you're involved in.

H

Hovhannes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So while I certainly understand the frustration of the OP, just realize that it was just for fun with no money at stake and that people will call with a lot more when a loss doesn't mean they lose money anyway. Also if enforcing the rules matters to you, make sure they are enforced from the beginning, and not only when they impact a big hand you're involved in.

Yeah, this makes the most sense out of everything. They do matter to me but sometimes I just don't like to make an issue of something that I thought wouldn't be necessary to even bring up.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you find it enough of an issue to write about in a forum, its enough to bring up in the game

jaketrevvor

jaketrevvor

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovhannes
See, the last few replies have been what was needed. Intelligent posts in reply to my initial post, not making jabs because I dared to use the work "pro" or said that I "gave the stare"
;)

yea whats up with that , they messed up a very funny thread. :p

^^^^^ Agreed :( *scolding myself for not being helpful to newbs*

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands