I need help with preflop re-raises!

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've noticed that an aspect of my game that I'm not very comfortable with is re-raising or dealing with a re-raise pre-flop, and what hands to put these re-raisers on. This is as far as tournaments and SnGs go, so I don't need cash game strategy.

Let's say I'm in the middle stages of an MTT with 400 players entered, starting at 1500 chips. At this point there's 200 players left and the blinds are 100/200. I have 4500 chips. I'm dealt QQ in middle position and it comes to me unraised. I raise to 800. The player immediately after me has 6000 chips and re-raises to 1600. What would cause him to re-raise a 4x BB raise? Should I think he has KK or AA? Now it's folded around to me. Do I call? Push? Fold? If I held JJ, would it change your answer?

Suppose it's the same scenario, coming to me unraised in MP and I raise to 800. This time it's folded around back to UTG, who originally just called the BB. But now UTG re-raises me to 1600! Should I think he's holding AA or KK and was hoping for a raise so he could spring to attack? This time I'd have position on the player, but the limp re-raise is scary. Should I call, push, or fold?

Any other input as far as preflop re-raising will be much appreciated by me. Thanks!

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Answers in bold.

combuboom said:
Let's say I'm in the middle stages of an MTT with 400 players entered, starting at 1500 chips. At this point there's 200 players left and the blinds are 100/200. I have 4500 chips. I'm dealt QQ in middle position and it comes to me unraised. I raise to 800. The player immediately after me has 6000 chips and re-raises to 1600. What would cause him to re-raise a 4x BB raise? Should I think he has KK or AA? I think he might have AK or AQ. I would call. Now it's folded around to me. Do I call? Push? Fold? If I held JJ, would it change your answer? If you had JJ, you should still call. You made your stand and your opponent re-raised with probably A,K or A,Q. This is a good chance you're ahead. Pushing is a risky move here. You could win the pot right there or he could have Pocket Kings or Aces. If it's the latter, you just have to pray a Jack comes up. The best thingto do is call and make your decision after the flop. You have the advantage to bet first.

Suppose it's the same scenario, coming to me unraised in MP and I raise to 800. This time it's folded around back to UTG, who originally just called the BB. But now UTG re-raises me to 1600! Should I think he's holding AA or KK and was hoping for a raise so he could spring to attack? This time I'd have position on the player, but the limp re-raise is scary. Should I call, push, or fold? With pocket Jacks or Queens? I guess it doesn't matter. Call here and make your decision on the flop. He could have Pocket Aces, but it's hard to laydown Pocket Jacks or Queens preflop with only a 2x your raise.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the inpur t1riel. Okay, to continue this, suppose in the second situation, the UTG limp/re-raise, I call it with QQ. Now let's say the flop is something like 2 5 9 rainbow. He's first to act and he pushes all-in. I don't have any reads on the guy because I was just moved to the table. I'm still above the average chip stack in the tournament with 2900 chips, and I'm risking it all if I call. Should I put him on AA or KK? I'd like to put him on a bluff with AK or AQ, but wouldn't he consider the high likelihood that I held an overpair before pushing? Would you call or fold? Again, if I was holding JJ, would it change your answer?

Thanks.

don8ions

don8ions

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually when someone moves all in online with a rags flop it means they want to buy the pot right there and don't want you to call. If he had a monster pair he'd probably bet about half the pot and try to suck chips out of you. You know the flop didn't hit him unless he's a complete moron reraising with 5-5 and hit trips...so call with your overpair and you'll probably be looking at AK or AQ. You'll be a big favorite to win the hand and knock him out.

poettic1

poettic1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first he's no longer playing the blinds just you he thinks his hand is better than yours. the blinds no longer matter to him.

that said you all most have to get all the chips in only 2 hands are favored and together they are 1/100.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
combuboom: I'm sorry I'm kind of rushing this here (and didnt read your full examples), but in tournaments, you almost always want to get your money in with QQ or JJ. Unless the blind structure/stack sizes is like a deepstack tourney and allows for a whole lot more info to be exposed (not just all in), then you can't really worry about AA or KK. It's just not worth it to be folding QQ in an online tourney. JJ i might consider it if it's a supertight player reraising me, but generally I'll even gamble then.

One thing to keep in mind, as was mentioned above is that an open push for more than the pot on a rag flop is usually a bluff; also, consider that big stacks will bully the medium/small stacks with A9/KJ type hands for reraises to scare them off.

Last edited:
withawedge

withawedge

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
combuboom:

With QQ in this instance you must re-raise. Do not limp in under any circumstances. Mr Harrington would have kittens if you did this

You are giving this guy a cheap shot at hitting the flop. You MUST make him pay at all times.

After the flop i think you must make the call. Probability is that you are still the Fav and will win the hand.

:withstupi

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys. I guess I'm mostly playing these hands right and just getting screwed all the time? I pretty much routinely run into AA or KK in these situations...

F

Fold

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
im from finland so my english sucks :D

btw. online poker and 200/400 left and u hit QQ before the flop :|
what do u think ::think

check the flop and go allin if there is no A or K. AA and KK are very rare hands
watch ept and read more about the poker. Set ur stacks, go allin, re-raise and beat them up. beauty of the game

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Fold said:
im from finland so my english sucks :D
It's OK, Fold. F Paulsson is from sweden, and his English really sucks too...but we still love him..;)

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
combuboom said:
Thanks guys. I guess I'm mostly playing these hands right and just getting screwed all the time? I pretty much routinely run into AA or KK in these situations...

I'm sure you've heard the saying before, but don't be results oriented. It's rare that you'll be up against a bigger pair with kings or queens, and you should almost always get all your money in the middle if possible (I'm referring to the fast-paced online games we're all used to). The only time I would fold KK or QQ preflop (don't think Ive ever folded KK PF, and maybe QQ once or twice in a multiway allin pot) is if a mouse made a big raise or reraise. You don't get nearly enough info online to make a decision like folding KK preflop, so don't even worry about it. Push every time.

The fact that it's a big, looser stack making the RR is even more of a reason to get your money in. They tend to bully with lesser hands to make valuable steals throughout the MTT, so get your money in whenever you have a hand that big.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
juiceeQ said:
It's OK, Fold. F Paulsson is from Sweden, and his English really sucks too...but we still love him..;)

You're lucky he's on vacation!