I need help with my NL poker game strategy.

Mikeisanace777

Mikeisanace777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At my level which isn't anywhere near expert I tend to play solid,I c bet nearly every pot and before hand usually take control from position with a 5 x raise to punish the limpers. I have 7-10 offsuit and the flop goes 55-7 Everyone checks I bet 2 callers. Turn rolls a 6 they check I bet I win.

This is how I play small pots and medium pots of course we have different hands sometimes I miss or have AA-AQ suited etc and trap.. I mix it up sometimes raise pre flop UTG with 5-6 of suit and try to hit a flop it works well im tricky im no rock and against the right players which are loose or passive and one maniac I win as I call him with 10-10 all in when i got him covered quite often and take his chips so im balanced.

Now my problem lies when I imply this small ball tricky strategy to great chess type players here's an example. I'm on the button with k-j suited I raise 5 x to 4 limpers everyone calls. Flop= 3-8-10 everyone checks I bet 2 folders 2 callers. Turn flows a blank 6 it goes check,check I bet one fold one reraise min I just call. It's heads up 3-8-10-6-2 I miss he misses I assume he has ace high I sometimes check/check,but when I bet here I get reraised often here a little and I dump it. Where am I missing out here I could have 10-J-AK-Q9 suited wide range but I missed where do I capitalize here against good players who also have air,or just a pair who knows?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Your question isn't very clear. It looks like you are asking how to make a more convincing bluff in a situation where you failed to isolate the play and have 4 other "great chess type" players who saw the flop. What do you think the chances are that the one of them that continues through your c-bets only has a weak pair, a draw, or air?

Mikeisanace777

Mikeisanace777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your question isn't very clear. It looks like you are asking how to make a more convincing bluff in a situation where you failed to isolate the play and have 4 other "great chess type" players who saw the flop. What do you think the chances are that the one of them that continues through your c-bets only has a weak pair, a draw, or air?

Exactly not as often would one think,usually though.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you are missing the fact that those chess kind of limpers are actually fish who have a set or T2 for two pairs and are never folding and the plan is wrong. I would even argue that calling raise with K high multiway pot is possibly ever right plan against anyone.

Last edited:
hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now my problem lies when I imply this small ball tricky strategy to great chess type players here's an example. I'm on the button with k-j suited I raise 5 x to 4 limpers everyone calls. Flop= 3-8-10 everyone checks I bet
Hi this bet needs to be changed to check fold against 4 preflop callers calling a 5x raise
good luck.:)

I

iceiceice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off, you need to include bet sizes as well as suits as those really matter. My first advice would be to stop bluffing into 4 people with king high. In low level cash games, we will be making most of our money when we have good hands. We dont need to bluffing this much.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now my problem lies when I imply this small ball tricky strategy to great chess type players here's an example. I'm on the button with k-j suited I raise 5 x to 4 limpers everyone calls. Flop= 3-8-10 everyone checks I bet
Hi this bet needs to be changed to check fold against 4 preflop callers calling a 5x raise

Strongly agree - someone hit that ten.....and you can check to see if you can build on it on the turn and river.

Good luck !

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Outplaying 4 people is hard - let it go

You gotta pick your fights and not try to win any hand at any time at any cost

Mikeisanace777

Mikeisanace777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I do sometimes but I don't like to be predictable and a lot of times against weaker players they just fold it's really only better players I lose and as you said some times trappy fish.:frown:

pandaboy

pandaboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I advice to you plays like young Isildur1, bet 3/4 pot each time (flop, turn, river)

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against better players. You need to represent something when bluffing, especially when people know your style. The turn and river didn't change much.

Alot of times i bet pot at river representing the flush or the A or king that came on turn or river when I have nothing. Sometimes I do have it though of course.

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What were you represent? 10 , set , or pocket jack's or higher.

But he's is calling and raising what
is he representing? It got to be higher then K high

Dusan

Dusan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is not and could not be a science of NL poker, and consequently no such thing as poker genius. What theory or science is possible where the conditions and circumstances are unknown and cannot be determined, and especially where the strength of the active hands cannot be ascertained until the showdown? What science can there be in a matter in which, as in every practical matter, nothing can be determined and everything depends on innumerable conditions, the significance of which becomes manifest at a particular moment, and no one can tell when that moment will come?

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At my level which isn't anywhere near expert I tend to play solid,I c bet nearly every pot and before hand usually take control from position with a 5 x raise to punish the limpers. I have 7-10 offsuit and the flop goes 55-7 Everyone checks I bet 2 callers. Turn rolls a 6 they check I bet I win.

This is how I play small pots and medium pots of course we have different hands sometimes I miss or have AA-AQ suited etc and trap.. I mix it up sometimes raise pre flop UTG with 5-6 of suit and try to hit a flop it works well im tricky im no rock and against the right players which are loose or passive and one maniac I win as I call him with 10-10 all in when i got him covered quite often and take his chips so im balanced.

Now my problem lies when I imply this small ball tricky strategy to great chess type players here's an example. I'm on the button with k-j suited I raise 5 x to 4 limpers everyone calls. Flop= 3-8-10 everyone checks I bet 2 folders 2 callers. Turn flows a blank 6 it goes check,check I bet one fold one reraise min I just call. It's heads up 3-8-10-6-2 I miss he misses I assume he has ace high I sometimes check/check,but when I bet here I get reraised often here a little and I dump it. Where am I missing out here I could have 10-J-AK-Q9 suited wide range but I missed where do I capitalize here against good players who also have air,or just a pair who knows?

Alright, I'm a little late, but here goes..... I have bolded some sections above.... take a look in the quote above before moving on to the next paragraph.

Are you a live player? This sounds like live 1/2 game.

Starting with the top, cbet nearly every flop....... You are c-betting in MW pots with very little equity, very little chance to improve, and you are barreling on bad runouts. Big leak. C-betting more than 3w (including you, 2 opponents) with air is not mathematically profitable long term bro.

With the 10-7, why are you betting twice here? The way you describe it, you are turning this hand into a bluff? But you have a pair. I don't understand. Don't you think betting twice here is pretty thin? I feel like your thought process is flawed man, not trying to be a jerk, just telling you to help you.

When you are betting the 10-7, what are you trying to do? get value? make everyone fold? Why are you even playing 10-7o pre in the first place? What is your reasoning for playing a hand this bad?

It's pretty simple.... Fundamentals. We bet for value, or as a bluff. I think you don't really understand that concept by reading your posts.

let's move on to next bolded section...

You have AA or whatever, then you try to trap. Why? You have it backwards. They limp call raises when you have lol bad hands, then you get good hands, and trap? This is just WOW man. You could probably use your spewy image to get max value with premiums, yet you don't? This seems silly to me.

Next bold section, raising 6-5o UTG. This is atrocious dude. In the games you're in, it's not really necessary to "balance" UTG range, or whatever man. And even if it were, 6-5o is like a TERRIBLE hand to choose to try and balance yourself UTG. If you want to improve, stop doing this immediately.

Last bold part......K-Js.

So you raise LP with KJs into a bunch of limpers. Like it.

We go MW to flop 10-8-3r, 5 ways to this flop

Checks to you, and you bet.

Let's talk about this decision right here. Why would you cbet bluff here into 4 opponents? Tell me your reasoning.

My reasoning is this, we are MW, a cbet is never EVER gonna get through 4 players. We don't even a have a gutter. Just 2 over cards. 6 outs to improve. This is a check back on the flop 1000% of the time. We should not be cbetting here.

So we pick up two callers, and go to the turn 10-8-3.....turn 6.

Checks to you again.

Are even thinking about what these people have? 7-9 gets there. 10x isnt folding. We still don't have anything, no gutter, no pair, no draw.......

We bet again, and you get minraised, and you call? Explain this to me. Why would you decide to call a minraise with K-high?

So then the HH becomes unclear after that. It looks like dude checks a brick river and you bet. Don't do that.

So, I know I can be blunt. I am trying to help, honestly man. I'm gonna give it to you straight up bro, no BS.

You play way too many hands, you have leaks like a submarine with a screen door on it, and you don't have much of a thought process. It seems you don't hand read at all, and you just try to win every pot. All the luck in the world will not help you win if you play this way. You may win once in a while, but over a larger sample, you will spew money at an astonishing rate.

My advice to you......
Develop some sort of preflop range. A respectable, tight range. Stop playing hands that are terrrible. Stop bluffing, especially in multiway pots. You aren't a good enough hand reader to bluff. So stop it.

Be humble. If you want to get good, take a step back, and realize you have a ton of work to do.

You play a tight respectable range, and that range is super duper tight in EP, like AQo+, AJs+, 10-10+. That is your UTG raising range.

As for LP, the worst hand you should ever raise is 9-8s, maybe even J-10s. All small PPs you limp, flop a set or get out. No set, no bet.

Keep it simple, play tight, and mostly straight forward, and you will win. You need to exercise the self control and discipline to fold trash hands and be patient.

After you perfect this strategy, like a legit sample of playing tight, not getting out of line, and gaining experience, you can open up ranges, very slowly...... like very very slowly introduce new hands, etc.

I used to be terrible at poker as well. This is what I did to improve.

I'm trying to help you, and I hope you don't take offense to my blunt write up.

GL bro.

Top 10 Games