I know the blinds mantra

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're in the small blind and are facing raises and re-raises pre-flop. You look down at AQo and are getting ~3.5-1 odds to call versus 5 players. Statistically the blinds will cost the player money but do the pot odds in this scenario warrant a crying call? Hero and 4 other villains are relatively deep stacked.:deal:

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't imagine a scenario in which I'm flat calling from SB with AQo. I think I'm always squeezing or folding...

I don't mind a multi-way pot if it's AQs.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're in the small blind and are facing raises and re-raises pre-flop. You look down at AQo and are getting ~3.5-1 odds to call versus 5 players. Statistically the blinds will cost the player money but do the pot odds in this scenario warrant a crying call? Hero and 4 other villains are relatively deep stacked.:deal:

I'm probably folding this being out of position.

Mostly due to the re-raise. You don't know what the original raiser will do.

Or you could 4-bet and take an aggressive line.

I think just calling is probably kissing your money goodbye.:D

Good luck !

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I ended up folding pre flop because of positional considerations and because of the aggressive betting. I felt raising to be at least dubious and at most reckless. The flop came KJT! Oh well...

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
just fold, hard to play in the sb position so many other spots to play

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The problem with calling in this situation is, you are out of position, and the 3-bettor has reopened the betting for the original raiser. And if you face a 4-bet, are you really going to call that with AQ out of position? Even if original raiser just call, the field callers will usually call as well, and then you end up in a bloated multiway pot, where you are first to act with AQ.

And how are you going to make money from that situation? 2 out of 3 times you will miss the flop. And even when you hit on a board like AT4, you are going to lose a big pot, when someone has AK, ATs, TT or 44, and you usually only win a small pot, when they dont. So you are only really happy, if you completely smash the board with AQ4 or QQ5 or something of that nature.

So most of the time I would just fold and not even worry about it. But if I thought, the 3-bettor was out of line and taking advantage of all the field callers, then I might turn AQ into a bluff and go for a light 4-bet. It is a nice 4-bet bluffing hand, because it block AA, QQ and AK, which are some of the hands, people normally continue with. And if we face a 5-bet, its typically a rather easy fold.

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like your analysis. I think I learned something useful.