How would you play this?

F

FreshmanJoe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was on the small blind with 9h9d in 1-2 cash game. A new guy, who was playing his first hand, makes it 15 from UTG+1 and gets 4 callers, including me. Flop comes 6s4c8s. I check, new guy bets 35$ into 77$ pot and gets called by the guy on his left who was LAG and had seen me bluff a few times and I had seen him do the same. Everyone else folds. I raise to 150 with about 160 left behind. New guy goes all in for 300. LAG calls, I fold, putting the new guy on overpair. Now I had never played with this guy before. I just had this feeling that he had a big pair. I didn't care what the LAG had. I didn't think he had anything better than top pair or flush draw. The turn is a 9 and river was something irrelevant. The new guy wins the hand with a set of 4s.

How would you have played this hand? And why?

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Played the same way,but would of called with my overpair,,,,:deal:

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would include 99 in my 3-bet squeeze range in just about any situation, but for sure on a loose passive table. Fold to a 4-bet. c-bet large on this flop if called.

As played, I like the raise. RFI shouldn't have that much to show for on this flop all that often. Folding an overpair against a flop 3-bet shove is probably exploitable but on this table perfectly fine.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have gone all in preflop when it got to me after the raise and all those callers to narrow it down to a 1 vs 1

F

FreshmanJoe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think in not trying to survive and play solid poker, I would suggest an all-in preflop.

All in for 300$ into 60$ pot? I don't know if he would've bet any different if he had pocket Queens. Maybe I could've raised it to 60 and shoved on the flop?

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you set the range of the new guy for over pocket pair, I would just call the bet from him at the flop.

F

FreshmanJoe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you set the range of the new guy for over pocket pair, I would just call the bet from him at the flop.

I wasn't sure if he had a big pair preflop. But when he came over the top I was pretty sure he had a big pair, or as in this case, something even better.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would also roll 99 in this case. There is little chance of getting a set on the turn or river.

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Considering allin preflop might be good choice for your position, the way you fold post-flop is right I guess. Although, his leads with strong half pot c-bet against 3 opp, could already be sign of over pairs imo. He's new player, we know nothing about him but it's less likely he would play this way with two overs etc in the 4-way pot so we probably shouldn't raise to get hint. That's tough situation because shoving also seems not right there on the flop.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wasn't sure if he had a big pair preflop. But when he came over the top I was pretty sure he had a big pair, or as in this case, something even better.

Understand, so I think I would played the same as you...

T

Tiltmode1987

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Idk man thats tough. I would have a hard time committing my whole stack on 99. Most of the time a jam like that means they have big pair or set. It was just unlucky that u folded and the 9 came

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I understand correctly, then UTG + 1 makes a huge raise. A lot of players made a call. I don't see any reason to call preflop with 99.
Luck accompanied the opponent on the flop. This happens when aggressive players do rash things and get incredible hands. But if you call preflop with a 99 hand, you probably expect to catch a set. Aggression has played a bad joke on you. Because luck was about to turn on you. If you continued to believe in 99, luck and calling, you would get a better hand on the turn, and the pot would be yours.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There was little chance that your third nine would come out later. You did the right thing.