How would you have played? NL5

P

Phil2307

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I would like to get some feedback on a bluff that almost worked but didn't in NL5. He tanked a lot on my flop 4bet and even more on my river bet. Maybe I should have make it bigger on the river but I really wanted him to think I was going for value with a small flush...
Thanks in advance.

Seat 1: P1 (€5 in chips)
Seat 3: P2(€6.89 in chips)
Seat 4: P3 (€2.49 in chips)
Seat 5: HERO (€5.68 in chips)
Seat 6: VILLAIN (€6.78 in chips)
VILLAIN: posts small blind €0.02
P1: posts big blind €0.05
* HOLE CARDS
Dealt to HERO [6d 4d]
P2: calls €0.05
P3: folds
HERO: raises €0.10 to €0.15
VILLAIN: calls €0.13
P1: folds
FLOP [3h Jh 8h]
VILLAIN: checks
HERO: bets €0.11
VILLAIN: raises €0.19 to €0.30
HERO: raises €0.29 to €0.59
VILLAIN: calls €0.29
TURN [3h Jh 8h] [2c]
HERO: bets €0.75
VILLAIN: calls €0.75
RIVER [3h Jh 8h 2c] [As]
HERO: bets €2.18
VILLAIN: calls €2.18
SHOW DOWN *
HERO: shows [6d 4d] (high card Ace)
VILLAIN: shows [3c 3d] (three of a kind, Threes)
VILLAIN collected €6.99 from pot

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Low limit players call.

Hi,

I would like to get some feedback on a bluff that almost worked but didn't in NL5. He tanked a lot on my flop 4bet and even more on my river bet. Maybe I should have make it bigger on the river but I really wanted him to think I was going for value with a small flush...
Thanks in advance.

* HOLE CARDS
Dealt to HERO [6d 4d]
FLOP [3h Jh 8h]
TURN [3h Jh 8h] 2♣
RIVER [3h Jh 8h 2c] A♠
SHOW DOWN *

Thanks for posting.

We bluff players who will fold. Can we expect a player to fold this flop after check raising the initial raiser? Was the check raise ever a check raise fold?

How can we know? How many check raise folds have you seen in your player pool in your last 50 hours of play? If the answer is not many than that is the standard.

How nitty is the player we are trying to bluff? Only nits fold at this level. Not folding is the biggest mistake most players make.
Thinking a player will fold, is the biggest mistake new aggressive players make.

In low stakes games players will fold top pair 20% of the time on the river. 3 of a kind is probably 3%

In your example top pair stayed top pair. That means villain has to make a fifty fifty type of decision on river, in villains mind. Flush yes or no? I would bet money villain will pay off every time you have a flush.

Hope this helps

:):)

X

xxgsaint5501xx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

* HOLE CARDS
Dealt to HERO [6d 4d]
FLOP [3h Jh 8h]
TURN [3h Jh 8h] 2♣
RIVER [3h Jh 8h 2c] A♠
SHOW DOWN *

Pick a hand with some chance when you decide to make a play like this. You were on complete and total air and likely could not win if given the chance to hand pick the last two cards. At least have some runner runner outs.

B

bonanzaJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would just have bet, called his flop raise. Then on the turn, I would have pushed all - in, representing strongly a flopped flush. How can he call?

B

bonanzaJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like your reasoning. Lol
Thanks for posting.

We bluff players who will fold. Can we expect a player to fold this flop after check raising the initial raiser? Was the check raise ever a check raise fold?

How can we know? How many check raise folds have you seen in your player pool in your last 50 hours of play? If the answer is not many than that is the standard.

How nitty is the player we are trying to bluff? Only nits fold at this level. Not folding is the biggest mistake most players make.
Thinking a player will fold, is the biggest mistake new aggressive players make.

In low stakes games players will fold top pair 20% of the time on the river. 3 of a kind is probably 3%

In your example top pair stayed top pair. That means villain has to make a fifty fifty type of decision on river, in villains mind. Flush yes or no? I would bet money villain will pay off every time you have a flush.

Hope this helps

:):)

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
64s is far to loose to iso from the Co in my opinion, that's also not a board i would cbet on and anything after the cbet is just really spewy.So a really avoidable situation at many stages in the hand i think.

mbradycf

mbradycf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
64s is a loose raise vs a limp. Probably fine on the button, but I'd raise a little larger - closer to 4x.

Flop c-bet seems ok, but I'm dumping this no equity hand vs the check-raise.

mrgupta

mrgupta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
64s is far to loose to iso from the Co in my opinion, that's also not a board i would cbet on and anything after the cbet is just really spewy.So a really avoidable situation at many stages in the hand i think.
I agree with this guy here.

First of all, the hand is trash, it's barely an open from the CO, let alone a hand you should isolate with. Maybe with strong reads, people who fold to steals are behind you and the fish you're isolating is gonna be check folding a ton.

When the board is monotone and you face a raise, you're up against a really strong hand, possibly even a flush. You don't have any blockers, even the cbet is spewy, let alone everything else you've done with the hand.

R

rdpoker5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best thing you can do is fold such hands preflop. It will save you a lot of nerves and money. Instead of folding your hand preflop, you had to put money in on every street to be able to win it and sometimes your opponents actually have a hand, like in this case. Good preflop play will save you a lot of trouble.

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold pre. (even if you hit straith or flush in massive pots you will end dominated)
X fold on flop because it hits his range. Villan fold range will be to small.
Bullfs dont earn mutch money (not the most part). You will earn the most from playing right you value hands (fold then need and extracting thin value) .