how to spot a set, when u have over pairs

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well over all today wasn't a bad day, it could've been a great day but not a bad one either, broke even, and still bought into 2 tourneys for other days. My question to all is how do u spot a set when u have an over pair, I swear that's how I kept getting busted all day, like I said I'm not pissed disappointed in myself for be to quick on the all in button at times, and at other times they would push when the flop is perfect for me. Can u plz all help me out, since this is the weakest part of my game, I swear I know when a person has an over pair to my pair, and I could fold, but when they have the sneaky Ass set, man that a killer:mad: , any who ty u all

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, in short, you can't. As with all poker, it is about assigning ranges to a player. So, while for some ppl you can be reasonably assured that stacking off with an overpair will be a profitable move because perhaps they don't mind reraising all in with TP or a flush draw etc., for others you can be quite certain that they will never be willing to play for stacks unless they have at least 2 pair or greater.

The other thing is that you don't have to auto shove or anything when you have an overpair to the board. It is possible you might be able to see showdown at a reasonable price, or be able to fold on the turn/river etc. So for hands that you are iffy about try to control the pot as best you can.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well over all today wasn't a bad day, it could've been a great day but not a bad one either, broke even, and still bought into 2 tourneys for other days. My question to all is how do u spot a set when u have an over pair, I swear that's how I kept getting busted all day, like I said I'm not pissed disappointed in myself for be to quick on the all in button at times, and at other times they would push when the flop is perfect for me. Can u plz all help me out, since this is the weakest part of my game, I swear I know when a person has an over pair to my pair, and I could fold, but when they have the sneaky Ass set, man that a killer:mad: , any who ty u all
First off i play rather low limits(5-10$sng-mtt) and folding overpairs on non straight/flush boards there is MOST often a mistake,since low limit online players most oftenly are willing to go all-in with TP/FD/SD. The only times i whould fold an overpair(on a rainbow non straight board obvs.) is when vilian is VERY TAG and i have notes on him that say his stacking range is only 2pairs/set+.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand what ur both saying but the thing is what do u do when there the ones shoving, that's the thing, cuz I admit at times I've shoved first and I'll take it to try to see the pot for cheap, but what do u do when it's revese?

theskillzdatklls

theskillzdatklls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont really think you can, you just have to take it when it comes ;)

i know that in a tournament FT yesterday, I held 99, someone raised before 3x, i called, another caller, flop comes 2 8 K. I check --> check --> bet 1/2 pot --> me all in.

This guy COMPLETELY had me beat, he folded AK (he claims, assuming he is an honest player, but this is a poker game;) because he felt that I had a set of 888 on him. I just went along with it pretending that I did flop the set to make him feel like he made the correct fold, but really, how often are you going to fold top pair top kicker to reraise because of the small chance someone has a set? *Unknown*, but I don't think you can get too far in poker if you are scared of sets.

B

baby kahuna

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on what your position is. But I find the only way you can tell is to raise him if he is in first. If he calls your raise, after the turn if he bets you can decide right then and there if you want to go on. As well as if he 3 bets you before the turn.
Or if he checks and calls a 3/4 pot size bet he must not be afraid of the board. If the turn doesnt help you according to your stack size you might find it prudent to fold if he comes out swinging after the turn.
All this must take into account your read on the player and Stack Size.
Going all in after the flop is not a good idea. If he calls you know he has the set. THen youre done.You can bet 3/4 or half the pot and get the same info.

ace2daface

ace2daface

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Harrington said something in his cash game books when talking about the flop/turn that probably applies here and im synopsising - the deeper you go past the flop and someone stays with you the less likely that one pair is good enough.
He is basically saying that most people are unwilling to play for stacks with one pair due to the exponential growth of bets from flop to turn to river.