How to spot a Bluff

Strong Dollar1

Strong Dollar1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm very interested in knowing from a good players perspective; what are some of the not so obvious ways to spot a bluff?

AmatuerISwear

AmatuerISwear

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people are easy to read because they play consistently (good or bad). I like to keep my inconsistent. Checking when I have a great hand one hand, then making a big bet the next hand. Making a decent bet when I have nothing (usually when the blinds just passed me) in hopes of getting the BB and SB to fold, etc. I think the most common bluffs are big stacks (in which you really have to be careful about because they always seem to catch what they need) and small stacks...desperate to make people fold.

C

cheezepoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluffing, is the hardest thing for me to figure out online. Amatuer had some great ways of being inconsistent, however to me consistentcy is the key, I make the same raises, and same bets no matter what. Thats why it is hard to tell when one is bluffing online, you have no body language to watch.

vincemcnabb

vincemcnabb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah pretty much all us online players have to go on is the betting patterns of your opponent....but occasionally the TIMING of how my opponent bets gives me some information, like if they quickly fire out a huge bet usually they're bluffing or whatnot

L

LarryT503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem with trying to "read" the bluff is it puts you in the position of risking money on a marginal hand. There is certainly a time and position to bluff, but there is no shame in being bluffed out of a hand from time to time.

Y

ysmisc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only case where I try to call someone's bluff is if a decent raise is done on river with no preflop or flop raise.
I know I can fall into a trap but many times this is my cue for a bluff

J

jtberrym

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
twist to the post

i like to use the timer to my advantage when playing...i will let the timer run down when i know i have my opponenet beat to make him think i am trying to think about the hand and appear weak.....this works alot for me because they will alot of time go all in over my raise and then i got em....try it sometime...let the timer run down to almost the end and then raise it and see what happens....

P

PokerVector

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Reading" is so much tougher online. All you have to go by is your opponents' betting patterns and position usage. Timing can be used as well but I tend not to rely on this as a lot of factors come into play; ie. lag, multi-tabling, misclick possibility.

Instead of spotting bluffs to call with marginal hands, my advice would be to first learn to spot situations where you should fold a good hand. Learning to play the sheriff can wait.

...unless you're already pretty good at this which in that case just ignore my post entirely =)

danny021

danny021

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
spotting a bluff is probably the hardest thing to do in poker... i would say especially with online poker.. you can only notice the betting patterns and the timing of your opponents in bets.. there arent any live tells so all you can see is the timing and amount of the bets... you need to analyze the bets and come to conclusions based on that.. you'll make bad reads from time to time but with more experience and time, you'll probably find that you can spot bluffs here and there..

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just call every bet, that way you can't be bluffed :).

But seriously, most of the time against non-maniacs you don't have to worry about snapping off bluffs. Good situations though are when there are a ton of missed draws and villain bets out. Just like any other situation, you have to assign a range to your opponent. If you beat the majority (or have good equity before the river) you generally should be calling or raising. You'll never know for sure if they're bluffing, but bluffing usually can turn a marginal fold to a call, like say you're not sure your top pair 4 kicker is good but there was a flush draw on the flop that didn't hit. You should then be more inclined to call because a busted flush draw is now in his range.

So you really shouldn't worry about the one question "is he bluffing?" unless you are against a good opponent with a decent amount of history. If your hand only beats a bluff, you have to be damn sure it's a bluff before calling. The only real way though is practice and experience. Practice putting opponents on ranges. If either the range goes to 0 (ie no range makes sense) or is extremely top-heavy (ie you think he either flopped a straight or is on a bluff), then it's more likely to be a bluff.

J

jokerjay311

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one of the easiest ways for me to pick up on a bluff is the way people bet post flop when they raised preflop. if someone doesnt have a pocket pair and they raise preflop, they only hit 33 % of the time. so if your are strong or even on a good draw post flop check raising or flat calling to see if the person slows down after turn are good options. the best is the pot size bet on a rainbow 2 6 J board or something like that. lotta people cant help but bet big all the time post flop hit or miss.

R

rozzz5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally I find that when the story just seems off and theres a gut feeling telling me that somethings wrong, I find that I'm often right and the guy gets caught with his pants down.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Zach basically summed it up, but one more thing. There is no shame to being bluffed if calling is -EV in the long run

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play tournaments, so in that context, I agree with those who say not to worry about it too much. A lot of times I fold, saying to myself "he's bluffing". But if he's bluffing now he'll bluff later and I'll catch him sooner or later. Some guys like to show you their cards to show you they were bluffing. Don't let it get to you. They're just trying to set you up for later so they can rake a big pot when you think you're "calling his bluff" and he actually has the hand. I love it when they think I'm "calling their bluff" when in reality I just have a better hand. So don't worry about it.

dave

W

WOBogey

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Spottin bluffs is hard on line. Betting patterns, stack size, and timing are to be considered. Also the image of the player u suspect of bluffing must be considered. It is easier to bluff if I have established a tight image, or if I have been winning hands and showing strong hands.
Calling bluffs? Thats why they call it gambling.

djrudeboy

djrudeboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Spotting the bluff is easy...

When you have the NUTS!
But seriously, Take into account position, previous bets (especially pre flop), stack size, previous play (table image) AND YOUR TABLE IMAGE, Plus gut feeling.
When you have the forth best hand (like top pair) and a straight or a flush is possible - just fold to a big bet, unless everything above points to BLUFF.
-Good Luck

PokerDave

PokerDave

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online the only thing I trust are betting patterns. Depending on opponents, some of them might be predictable, for example one opponent Overbets the pot when he has a great hand, another opponent bets exactly the pot when he's bluffing. (It varies from player to player obviously) Betting patterns! And don't worry about calling bluffs with marginal hands.

RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluff?

I'm very interested in knowing from a good players perspective; what are some of the not so obvious ways to spot a bluff?
That's the whole idea! You DON'T spot a bluff if the "Bluffer" does it right!:eek: And is any good at it!

fin2head

fin2head

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing is done alot in freerolls , pattern players take note of their betting hand when shown, they will tip their hand sooner ar later. Other than that only a feeling or a idea by how they bet says he doesnt have the hand.

bulldog2782

bulldog2782

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i personaly just try and put myself in there position and think is this a situation i would bluff and if i would would this be a bet that i would make.

CAPT. ZIGZAG

CAPT. ZIGZAG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

xray-glasses.jpg

Only a buck...... :D

---

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just call every bet, that way you can't be bluffed :).

But seriously, most of the time against non-maniacs you don't have to worry about snapping off bluffs. Good situations though are when there are a ton of missed draws and villain bets out. Just like any other situation, you have to assign a range to your opponent. If you beat the majority (or have good equity before the river) you generally should be calling or raising. You'll never know for sure if they're bluffing, but bluffing usually can turn a marginal fold to a call, like say you're not sure your top pair 4 kicker is good but there was a flush draw on the flop that didn't hit. You should then be more inclined to call because a busted flush draw is now in his range.

So you really shouldn't worry about the one question "is he bluffing?" unless you are against a good opponent with a decent amount of history. If your hand only beats a bluff, you have to be damn sure it's a bluff before calling. The only real way though is practice and experience. Practice putting opponents on ranges. If either the range goes to 0 (ie no range makes sense) or is extremely top-heavy (ie you think he either flopped a straight or is on a bluff), then it's more likely to be a bluff.
You said it... there is a way to find the big bluffers in a game. what i like to do is setup a trap and just check the hand and let it go to him when he puts out a bet jump over him with one see if he will call... i did this in a game last night to show every at the table he was bluffing and he lost 10K in chips he just kept calling even tho they were semi bluffs... It works in MTTs but un sure how it will work in real money games.......
hope it helps out:)

D

davidd6961

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
bluffing

To any of you find that an all in over the pot size after the river is usually a bluff? In my experience it usually is, but would like to hear opinions from other players.

N

nyy4life42

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way is to play different cards the same. E.G., raise the same with A-A and 2-2. This way, even if you do get caught bluffing, your opponents don't have too much info on you. Now how to spot a bluff is a different monster...

M

markpro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, reading a persons bluff is easier for some people, usually the more expirienced. You cant be fixed on one idea though, cause a lot of the times the bluffers tend to notice these things and the next time they will repeat the same trait when they have a huge hand. Online, all you can really do is watch how the person plays and catch on some of the persons patterns. Hopefully youll see when he usually bluffs and catch him on one of them with your marginal winning hand. Good luck at the tables :)