How to Raise a continuation bet?

V

vax1op369

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Example pot $10 pre flop. He bets $5 - $7.50 into you. It’s just you two in the hand. You know he doesn’t have it most of the time. What is the correct size of the raise? Thank you.

F

FunkNShine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Example pot $10 pre flop. He bets $5 - $7.50 into you. It’s just you two in the hand. You know he doesn’t have it most of the time. What is the correct size of the raise? Thank you.

Obviously it depends on the hand, but are you trying to make him fold or are you sitting with the nuts?

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe either way you're trying to make him fold (you're bluffing) or you have the nuts you should play it the same way I believe of course it depends on the villains profile is he a loose player calling station is he tigh player lot of things to consider in this situation but for me the amount will be like x2.5 time his bet when I know he's kind of tight player and he always make his Cbet but the flop comes like 7-2-3 Rainbow it really is not many time on his range so it will be a good time to make a bluff and of course when you have the nut you just want him calling with over pairs if you have a set or straight hope this helps you GL!

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sizing like 2.8x-3.2x is ok in most of situations. Unless someone bets really small then of course you want to use bigger sizing.

VisionNutz

VisionNutz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whatever you gut is telling you!

Gamebreakr25

Gamebreakr25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on how that person has been playing, but I would say 3X or 4X . Have a good night :five:

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More you raise the more likely is that he will fold =)

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As always it depends on a lot of factors but generally if I want someone to fold in such a situation I tend to make it like a 40%-80% pot bet.

So that is in the xx% of pot + (100+2xx)% his raise where xx is the % of pot bet size I want to make. Or for a 50% pot sized bet it is 50% of the pot + 3x his raise.

So in your example and with a 50% pot bet => 0.5 x pot (10) + 2 x (size of his raise say 6) which makes it a raise to 17$ which leaves him to call an extra 11$ in a 33$ pot.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your text has little information for me to give you an appropriate tip.

Generally a good raise will be 2.5x with position, and 3x out of position. which can vary more or less depending on the image of the villain, since it is common for these increases trying to steal, some villains tend to increase their bet and put you in a difficult situation.

Look at this situation here

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if I have a good hand or if he is doing it with a higher frequency than I should I place a pot size bet on him

S

Spewster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You cannot raise him just because you think he doesn't have it.

If you want to bluff raise him, you want to force a fold so you need to represent a hand.

Lets say you are in the BB, BTN raises 2.5x, you call and flop comes A7Qr.
He bets and you raise. Does that look right? There aren't any big aces you wouldn't 3bet preflop and a 7 as well as a Q doesn't justify a raise here. However AK, AQ and AJ are in his range while you just said "I don't have premium aces" because you called.

So no matter what he has, he can just shove it and you cannot call.

If you think he doesn't have it, you need to float OR you need a hand with backup equity. Lets take the hand above and change it from rainbow to double suited and you have a OESD + a flush draw with KTs.

Now you could raise him because if he doesn't fold, you have a couple of outs to make a real hand.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are sure that you have the chance to win, the best bet is to double the bet if it is more than one third of your money or all of it would be just as fair good luck greetings:D

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check raise bluff so you can see if he is just firing a bullet into the pot or if they are serious. You get position on them. Also check raise bluffs have more folding equity. The problem is they are expensive. I make sure to check raise bluff usually min. when the board is scary with no draws and 2.9x when it has draws. In MTT this shows they cannot later end stage just c-bet me off a big pot ratio to my stack when blinds are huge.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd consider a 2x-3x the BB or a 1/2 or 3/4th pot size bet if you're trying to buy the pot.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some players like to shove on their opponent.

I like a min raise or pot-sized-ish bet.

Good luck !

bijan777

bijan777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Postion and oppennet not be calling staion is so important

F

FaritGaripov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
position is most important and kind of opponent too

S

Spewster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check raise bluff so you can see if he is just firing a bullet into the pot or if they are serious. You get position on them. Also check raise bluffs have more folding equity. The problem is they are expensive. I make sure to check raise bluff usually min. when the board is scary with no draws and 2.9x when it has draws. In MTT this shows they cannot later end stage just c-bet me off a big pot ratio to my stack when blinds are huge.

Honestly, this is just not good advice, I'm sorry.

X/R bluffing to see if he's just firing a bullet??? Dude, betting for information is already stupid, but raising for information is just lunatic.

If you really want to exploit overbluffing, you have to start check/calling your weak top pairs and your middle pairs on the flop and you have to catch some of his obvious bluffs like busted draws on the river.

A X/minraise does nothing, you have to raise at least half to 2/3 pot, so it's not just expensive, it's a bankroll killer. Also, do not think you can X/R bluff forever, sooner or later he starts reraising or shoving.

A X/R bluff is good if it makes sense like when you have a valid range for it that you are able to protect. Like if you usually only X/R sets or flopped nuts, you do not have that many bluffs so you need to use them wisely or you become really exploitable.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely depends on the hand and my table position and chip stack. Usually i’ll raise by 3 or 4 bb’s just to ensure their not bluffing if I have a small stack I’ll push all-in.

NeZlo4

NeZlo4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

in most cases I have this 3x . But it all depends on what I want to do with it: force it to fold or call.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don't necessarily want to re-raise him. If you have a hand with some showdown value you could simply call to keep the pot small. If the flop missed him entirely and it's just an empty c-bet, he might not be willing to try another bullet at the pot and you could get a cheap showdown or even get him to fold by betting on later streets.