How to play when you have top pair on the flop but are not sure about the kicker?

YuriDitz

YuriDitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would raise, if he has a stronger hand he would reraise and I would discard the cards, considering his hand is stronger.

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not sure if….

I think that I would play the hand as if I had ‘top kicker’- rep the top kicker.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't flat in the SB, you can fold QJo v a BTN open

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Winning a medium size pot here with top pair good kicker is fine. Donking out may inflate a pot you dont want to inflated but if he has nothing but a bluff you let him go without putting more chips in.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in my opinion you played good . i would have played it the same way . there is no need to make the pot too big

however i would not call a raise with Q-Jo from the SB from the beginning

xaj9x

xaj9x

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I think it was played very well, but it was possible to get it, people often fall in love with their card, plus you need to understand if this opponent is an amateur, then we want to get more from him[emoji3]

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No kicker means no hero play

Since you made the pair, with no real kicker, min bet or check the bet. This is smart passive play, why build a pot you may be trailing?
But that changes if online, time constrained, for example. Say you only have a few minutes to squeeze in a quick cash game, heads up, then play it a little more aggro, if the money hit isn't great if you lose.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Yes, sometimes passive actions "especially against aggressive players" allow you to win more money than aggressive ones !!!

blef121

blef121

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, in such cases, if the opponent puts small bets, then I press the call, and if they are high, I don’t think that I need to take risks with a kicker, but for this I lose a large amount of chips