How to play TPTK and overpairs KK $ AA

M

Michelle5000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just curious as the optimum BB's range to play these hands 2. I'm a beginner and playing at 1/2cents and how far do you go with them from a neutral stance. Atm with AK and AQ and hitting TPTK i'm look for two streets of value and maybe put in a blocker bet on the river. With AA-QQ HU i'll look for about the same. Also, is it avisable for me not to stack off 100 bbs with these types of hands post flop?

I've just been in some difficult situations with AA and KK i my last 1,000 hands. Where the flop has come low and an ABC player has been raising me i.e The board was 996 and i bet flop, called and i bet the turn 3/4 pot and he puts in a mini raise. I folded..put i had good odds to call it. Is this a marginal situation? without any great reads. Knowing he will probably fire big on the river.

Can anybody advise me on playing aggressive players. They always take me out out of my comfort zone and i never know where im at. Like i have AK and this maniac fired 2bullets and then was all in on the river. The board was A589Q and the pot was $1.50 and he was all in for $2.20. Is this just a marginal call or fold. Even though my bb is down at 12 atm due to some bad luck and a downswing. Are these situations not worth worrying about.. in terms of the long term. LIke 50/50 spots. I'm on 6 tables and GT+ seems to be only useful for Vpip and PFR. I mean, i had this guy with a PFA of 0.5 going all in on the river with air haha I only called cos i had the nuts.

This maniac's PFA was at 15,10,10 on each street and he must have been bluffing at 2 out of 3 pots. However, how can i use that to work out if the call is right when he is all in on the river. Then again he was giving me 1.8-1 pot odds. But TPTK on the river? it never looks very tasty. prolly shoudl have called in that spot. I need to lower my calling range vs aggressor's. Or maybe i should just sit back and wait for the nuts.

Any advice guys?

D

Dr_Dick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice...

Based on what you posted, it is a quagmire of disjointed concepts as if your looking for some sort of system to play poker. For instance, why are you looking for 2 streets of value and putting out a blocking bet with AK,AQ with flop TPTK, what does that really mean? Are you saying you raise x3-5 bb preflop and then lead out if you hit TPTK and then fire a second barrel, and then pull back and fire soft on the river?

And AA-QQ you look for the same..the same what, two streets of value and then bet soft on the river? You mean on an all under flop? In position or out of position?

How can you work out if 15,10,10 which labels a person a bluffer/maniac makes a call right? Well that doesn't do much for you. But if you think he bluffs 2 out of 3 pots, then you only have to be right 1/3 of the time, correct? So if your pot odds are 1.8 to 1 you are getting paid .80 on the dollar, so twice you will be correct and profit $1.60, once you will be wrong and lose your dollar, for a profit of .60 per dollar...unless my math is off?

A suggestion, break up your post into multiple threads so you are getting clear answers to one topic at a time.

M

Michelle5000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
k thanks Dick,

I was mostly after an overall way of playing Overpairs, TPTK as i'm unsure how to play them post-flop. Its possibility something i'll have to learn by reading and through experience. And yes, i should have broken it it down and made it clearer ;) that was one piece of disjointed garbage.

Thanks though.

D

Dr_Dick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fair enough, TPTK post flop...for a generic overall strategy break it down into two situations, in position or out of position.

Out of position lead out with 1/2 to 2/3 the pot. Any reraise you let it go as you are out of position. Any call, you lead out for 1/2 pot on the turn and check/call a reasonable bet on the river.

In position, reraise any bet in front x2.5 to 3 to see where you are in the hand. If checked to you bet 3/4 of the pot. On the turn if checked again to you fire a second barrel for 3/4 pot. If still called, check/check.

Obviously this is extremely generic and there are many other variables that come into play.

Richyl2008

Richyl2008

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you would probably be a lot better served if you posted individual hand histories in the cash game thread for specific hands you are unsure of. Like Dr. Dick says there is not really a way to answer the question completely accurately because, while you may be able to use a pretty generic pre flop strategy, post flop play is completely situational, and there is a number of factors that will effect your decisions.

brettstix

brettstix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have found on a lot of 1/2 cent tables if you played tight, folded 100 consecutive hands and then shove with AA you will probably get 3 callers anyway. Wild crazy extremely loose action at these levels and no one is paying any attention to what anyone is doing, betting, representing or what position they are in. A lot of good poker strategy is wasted at this level but when I used to play this level I found that when you made a good hand (or the ever elusive NUTS) you are going to get paid off. Just my thoughts. By the way. I have been playing 5/10 cent for a while now and a lot of the time it is no different to the 1/2 cent games.

allndave

allndave

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree with brett the .1/.2 tables are horrible, on at tight br i recomend sng's to build bankroll