How to play small pairs in SB/BB against EP agression?

G

Gaai1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not really sure about this one, so I would like to hear your opinion.

I'm playing micro stakes $0.01/$0.02 cash game 9 players and being dealt pocket fives.
Now someone in EP (UTG+1) raises to $0.08 and it gets fold to me.
I don't have much stats on this player but he seems to play a bit tight.
I decided to fold, but I'm not sure if that was the best action to take.
If there had been other players calling I would definitely have called behind.

So in general, my question is:
How to play small pairs (like 66 and lower) on the SB/BB when a player in EP (UTG, UTG+1, UTG+2) raises and it gets fold to you?

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sequence think this raise,call and fold depending on the other players.

S

subsinind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just fold and save chips in micro stakes

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would guess the answer lies how well you play post flop. If you trust yourself to play good, calling them in 2NL in general should be profitable. If any doubt, then folding them is probably most EV. At big blind position that is, when sb you need to factor big blind in, big fish and small pairs are auto call, agro and it's mostly auto fold.

Last edited:
C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
rule1: if you dont know you op, you should concider that his range is from EP is strong. he might be a fish raising 9Js but he can have your range also dominated with Aqo, and I'm not even talking about stong pairs.

Your goal with small pairs is to fish for set(or better). to hit a set on the flop is 7.5/1 concidering the pot. so calling here will be a EV- situation.

... the being said I do call with bad odвы just because =)

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So in general, my question is:
How to play small pairs (like 66 and lower) on the SB/BB when a player in EP (UTG, UTG+1, UTG+2) raises and it gets fold to you?

It depends on what I know about this player, and his stack size. If I know his raise means big pair/big Broadways, and he overplays overpairs, TPTK, then I'd call a routine raise size to possibly stack him if I get lucky and hit a set when he pairs up. Still, I'd rather play him in position than out.

Otherwise, if he's a nit, won't pay off, then I'll take a pass and let him have it. If there's any doubt, best to err on the side of caution when playing OOP, especially to a raiser who'd likely to be at the high end of his range.

S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as well not game and to give the money

P

plyto777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have played through the call and saw a flop. Further, depending on the structure of the board.

M

matiascecci1990

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it will depend on your stack, the style of play of the other player, and how many players call before you.

If nobody calls, and you have an average stack, I would pay up the flop.
If any pay or rise, I would retire.

scorpi224

scorpi224

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would call and see the flop , if i flop a straight opportunity or even better like a set i would raise or check and wait until he raises and i can re raise for example

G

Gaai1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it will depend on your stack, the style of play of the other player, and how many players call before you.

If nobody calls, and you have an average stack, I would pay up the flop.
If any pay or rise, I would retire.

Do I understand you correctly that multiple callers cause you to fold the flop? :S

Interesting replies, and quite different opinions as well.
I think it mostly depends on the situation, the kind of player your up against...

T

Tricky123bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The rule I've been taught about set-mining is that it depends on stack size and position. If you are in position of the raiser, and he has at least 15 times the stack of his open raise (so if he raises it to 6c in a 2nl game, he needs to have at least a 15 * 6c = 90c stack, including his raise) then you should call.

Position matters, because it's much easier to get paid off if you hit a set when in position. So out of position your opponent needs to have 20, or even 25 times the stack of his open raise, to make set-mining profitable. So if the same guy raises to 6c, and you are in the blinds, his stack needs to be more than 1,20$ (or 1,50$ if you think it's harder for you to get paid off).

Another thing to consider is that he opened from EP, which means his range is tighter. That means he will have more big pairs and broadways, which is good when we are set-mining, because we will get paid off easier when we do hit our set. So from the blinds and facing an EP open, I would definitely call if effective stacks are at least 20 times the size of his raise.

Hope that helps :)