how to play nut-ish hands in low stakes

L

leandr0s

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is true that low stakers tend to overplay many hands especially ut-ish hands. and by nut-ish i mean flushes, full houses etc. pros on the other hand tend to polarise their range when they bet strong (e.g.) on the river. if you see a 3bet on the river (or even a mere raise) and there are 3 hearts you might just call or even fold a small flush. it depends on your reads etc etc. but in low stakes people play flushes like its the nuts and are willing to stack off on a flush even if they have 10X the pot behind. same thing with full houses and even overpairs or 2pairs TPTK etc. on the other hand this means that there is some kind of a thin value issue in these hands as well. if you have a Q high flush and you know your opponent is gonna stack of any flush and/or set/ straight since you only get beaten by 2 hands its ok to stack off even if theres the chance you are against the nuts or 2nd nuts. in bigger games though 3betting a river with just 3rd nuts seems too loose and probably a play with no value. i really wonder if i should try to extract more value or play somewhat safer when i dont have the nuts

P.S. i am not a NIT nor do i ask if i should only play the nuts or raise the nuts. my question is whether i should be willing to stack off without 1st or 2nd nuts in low stakes. and please explain your answer rather than giving it unsupported

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my question is whether i should be willing to stack off without 1st or 2nd nuts in low stakes. and please explain your answer rather than giving it unsupported

Depends on the situation but on the whole yes of course, for the simple reason that many players will stack off with worse.

Just dont do it vs nits.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands