How to play: K6,k7,k8,q4,q5,q6,q7

T

turbobrain

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone want to offer an analysis on these types of hands? I am playing in 1/2 NL cash games with decent players, some tight, some loose..overall no donkeys...just started playing with moderate success...BUT I get these hands a lot, suited or unsuited Ks,Qs,Js with mid cards: 4,5,6,7....thanks.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play those hands unless I am in the blinds, but I am a nit to a degree.

T

turbobrain

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
only in blinds

Why do you choose to play these cards only in the blinds? do you just check, if there has been no raise?

BTW, I love Cape cod, worked in Mashpee at a 4H camp for a summer!

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do you choose to play these cards only in the blinds? do you just check, if there has been no raise?

because those hands are very mediocre and just not really profitable. Yeah we'd probably look to check these kind of hands through

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Those are trouble hands, you may hit the painted card and then be out kicked. Like I said I will just check em in the blinds but usually end up folding.
I play full ring though, I know you can be a little looser in 6max but I don't think that loose.

Glad to hear you love Cape Cod and I work in the Mashpee Commons now.

P

perry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to bet K8 because I see them together so much. I like to bet on them in any position, preferably suited, because I've had decent wins with them. Certainly not scientific but then I tend to be a gut player anyway. The K with 5 - 7 are more subject to position, certainly not in an early position, but later. You would expect K9 would be a good bet because at least they will complete a K high straight. But then the A always comes along and kills it for me. If I was you I wouldn't shy away from playing anything with a K in it - but you have to consider your position and what has been going on in the game - tight - loose - crazy.

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're playing these on the button, while suited, I mean it's really marginal. People will argue about whether or not to play them, but it's most likely a pretty neutral EV play whether you fold or raise it to play a pot in position.

Obviously if you have a good chance to take the blinds, just raise them and see how it goes. Raising these hands helps widen your range as well (like you need that on the button, lol) but it does, which can get you more value for solid holdings.

If you're having trouble with them though, which you likely are since you're asking about them, just throw them away. If you don't know how to continue after hitting your King or Queen, then you're going to end up making bad plays and costing yourself money.

Last edited:
M33K3R

M33K3R

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most difficult thing with those hands are the situation of when you flop top pair against an agressive oppenent. You will lose some pots if you hit a pair. Personally, I'll fold those hands, but if I'm in the blind and hit a pair I'll play it cautiously.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Those are trouble hands, you may hit the painted card and then be out kicked. Like I said I will just check em in the blinds but usually end up folding.
I play full ring though, I know you can be a little looser in 6max but I don't think that loose.

Glad to hear you love Cape Cod and I work in the Mashpee Commons now.
Pooffy said it all, i know i have lost big pots, with them. I have also knocked out players for playing, raising with crap like that..
Suited, i may raise with them, but only well in position.

BLieve

BLieve

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont call with these only raise or fold. Raise only in a tight (non donk) table in LP maybe MP if you have been card dead, players (once again non donk and observant players that is) will respect your raise and your continuation bet after the flop even if you completely miss. Otherwise fold (95% time).

doops

doops

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play them at all-- unless I'm on the button and am raising against only the blinds. But I dump them if I get re-raised. They are trouble hands. Even when you land 2 pair, they can be trouble. There are times when one can raise with any crap, once one has established a very tight image -- but you don't want any action.

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tnd not to play these type hands very often,unless I am in great position such as blinds and have very good reads on people at the table.
They are mostly hands I would just muck.
Only play them once in a great while,even in position I rarley play them facing a raise.

shootwillus

shootwillus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the key is to understand that you can be getting crushed even if you pair your k/q...so, retreat and fold from raises-reraises unless you have the nuts or a great read.

But, there are definitely times you can play these hands...

from the button
limping from the blinds
if you are in late position and have a couple of limpers before you...i think you can raise with these hands
if a short stack (10% of your stack or less) seems tilted and keeps going all in, i think you can call with these hands in a one on one situation

Lazmansa

Lazmansa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
those hands scare me, i will only play them in the blinds,there are so many other hands that are beating u.i would put in a small raise after the flop and see where i am,any raise i fold, any call i check.

not worth going broke with hands like that:D

Lazmansa:D

dresturn2

dresturn2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold that unless u are in the blinds or u are in late position and u plan on outplaying the other persons

C

crow27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been experimenting with a looser game and have added these types of hands to raise with in cutoff or button position only. If anyone raises in front, fold. If anyone limps in front, I'll see the flop for cheap with suited kx only. I'll also complete from the SB when I get the chance.

On a side note, I have found that it is ALOT easier to play these types of hands after I have won a couple of pots via showdowns. Seems like I get credit for hands for awhile, even though I like to raise with junk late.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
call me a nit but if i usually fold all unsuited 7 gappers. i might open for 2.5xBB w/the K8s but that the cutoff.

-- you could shove allin to try to induce a misclick.

B

baghead

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
these hands only end up loosing in the long run so y play them

Goodwooter

Goodwooter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as said before...playing these hands is easy...FOLD

cheers and gl
wooter

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dont call with these only raise or fold. Raise only in a tight (non donk) table in LP maybe MP if you have been card dead, players (once again non donk and observant players that is) will respect your raise and your continuation bet after the flop even if you completely miss. Otherwise fold (95% time).

^^ perfect.

Have u got the balls to re-raise a loose guy with these hands? K6s mite jus b enough to push him off a hand. And if u hit the board with TP then u mite b beatin his JJ :D

N

nightmoves44

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gq

Excellent question.,Perhaps reading up on some strategy will help,mostly I fold these cards but I know some are winners.I get a feel for the *game mostly.Ive done well at the 50c/1 level so somethings workin right.But I do apply position/ and a few other tricks of the game,plus I move alot,Dont stay at a losing table and try to get your money back.Its been awhile since I did a $1 ring game(prefer badbeat tables) tho,but reading up,doing my homework paid off last time I played.

greywind50

greywind50

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
unsuited fold. fold. fold. fold. fold. fold.
suited late position limp, limp, limp, limp, limp,