How often are you 3-betting 22 - 77?

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to play low pocket pairs in multipot. When we collect a set, we can win a big pot. If this does not happen, then it is always easy to fold the cards. Raising on the preflop implies further aggression and protection of low pocket pairs, regardless of whether the flop suits you or not. Your goal is to play against one opponent in this case. But if other players call and a multipot is formed, then your raise was meaningless on the preflop.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On 6-6 and 7-7 against fish I often 3bet

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with people in this section that playing micro stakes 3betting low pairs isnt good enough, people rarely fold, I try to 3bet better hands for value and that seems profitable

afecho

afecho

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I struggle with playing low pairs. Pretty much only limp in, but reading some of you responses and learning more about playing positions I may start trying to play some. Thanks for making me think!

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes when I notice that opponents prefer to fold to a 3-bet after they have made a small raise.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never. These hands are best for set mining. I like to play big pots only when they hit the flop.

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I don't 3-bet these hands. I open raise 2.5bb out of position. In position I just call

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I usually fold more on 22, rarely in position I play it, now the 77 is different, it's a more reasonable hand that you usually hit, but not hitting it depending on the flop already dropped.

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

L

LOOPY

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never 3 bet low pairs. Wait to see if I catch on the flop.

S

stank12345

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually don't bet these hands its to hard to make any money with them

B

Backlash

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rarely 3 betting a mid to small pair preflop. But I will raise and call a reasonable re-raise.

bertaS1234

bertaS1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always, I like to play pairs aggressively, even if not big ones.

B

budweiser74777

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
only when I have hyper stack

G

garpsc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yesterday I had KK, 3bet, and the other guy goes all-in. He had 22, and guess what.. 22 on the board.

guess it's lucky, but i tend to raise or go all-in with 77 in hand, 22 not so much.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The intuitive thought is that you want to be calling with your lower pocket pairs, since you want to see flops as cheaply as possible. But if you are always calling, and never 3-betting this would tell someone a lot about your 3betting range.

Is it correct to assume that always calling in Position with lower pocket pairs, and then defending with a mix of calls and 3bets in the blinds is a better tactic than always calling / folding?

In a word, yes. Calling in position is always better, if you think you will not get 3-bet, or especially if you are last to play.

Mixing it up as you described above is, IMHO, the best way to play these. Combine this with adjusting to the dynamics of the table and smaller PP's become a bit easier to play.

I will sometimes raise 22 UTG, and 3 bet or call a 3 bet with it. But, say, a raise UTG, a 3bet from anywhere and I am still to play, my 22 are gone.

Since I never open limp unless I plan on getting raised (I know, never say never, but still...) any PP will be an automatic raise if I am first in (or any hand I am gonna get involved with), and my calls and/or 3-bets will be mixed up depending.

funnyhook3

funnyhook3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very often) all game/ why not

V

vladikov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
at low limits it is not a good idea to make 3 bets with hands from 22 to 77, at high limits you can try them relatively often

YuriDitz

YuriDitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always call with these pairs, or go straight all-in if I have a short stack and play a tournament. I’m not really wanted to be on the flop without a set in the big pot!

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
It would be dependent on the Villain.
If your opponent is likely to 4 bet then 3 betting would be wrong. If on the other hand they will call or fold then go ahead and. 3bet.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
mostly I call it. But I play it as a call only on big blind. On other positions I play 3bet or fold so at lower stakes in my opinion there is a higher ev from 3betting more high cards then those low pps. So very often they go to folds preflop.
Of course mtts are other game than cash games and there of course I call more but 3bet shove more when I have a shallow stack

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to 2bet/call/limp the little pairs 77 and less, sometimes I get it to 99 when it's played very tight. I don't balance it by 3-betting, but by playing the same way other hands as the suited connectors and sometimes my 3bet range. Seems like very passive action, but it's rare to get a pair, and by playing passive preflop and agressive postflop, Iget payed with a lot of foldequity on the flop. (In low stakes only, as higher, you will get oftenly called I think, but Idk, you tell me) These hands you don't want to play it big unless you get a nice flop, or turn. I'd raise 3/4 flop, mostly always, and if I hit I'll continue turn, if I don't I'll check/fold the turn, unless I think I'm better, or if I have an opportunity to bluff.

darkvick

darkvick

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it depenp more of the game you are playing. In cash game would better call in tournaments the 3-bet is better

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars