How often should I get dealt a pocket pair?

T

thomasguy3419

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm playing pokerstars Zoom cash games and I'm getting dealt a pocket pair every 50+ hands. I read on google that every 17 hands you should get dealt a pocket pair but this is not the case on PokerStars.

Last edited:
CowboyStomp

CowboyStomp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
17 is the right number (over a large range of hands you get)

How many hands are you sampling?

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a game with very high variance. That goes as much for starting cards as it does for run outs.

There was a time where I had AA,AA,KK and QQ all at once on 4 different zoom tables, I've also gotten dealt 72o in the Big Blind 3 times in a row when I was sub 10BBs in a tournament once lol.

It's a crazy game, you just have to enjoy the ups and downs and play the cards you have as well as you can and don't sweat over what you can't change

You have a 1/221 chance of getting dealt Aces next hand regardless!

Last edited:
Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You should get it every 17th hand dealt on average. The issue is this is a long term average or hundreds of thousands of hands. If you were to track say 1 million hands you would find out that you were probably dealt this on average. I have seen some long runs of not getting pairs, I have also gotten 7 pocket pairs in a row. Live I have been dealt pocket aces back to back hands twice in a months time. You just never know.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are days when things don't go so well, that's the way it is. Keep trying.

V

VadaPav

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This game is not only about pairs.
If you keep waiting for only pairs then you are missing huge profits by not playing other cards.

Pairs do come and go focus more on what cards to play.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'm playing PokerStars Zoom cash games and I'm getting dealt a pocket pair every 50+ hands. I read on google that every 17 hands you should get dealt a pocket pair but this is not the case on PokerStars.
This question is like asking "How long is a piece of String?" No one knows until you cut it! If you Read that you should be dealt Pocket Pairs every 17 hands, I am sure that some were it would also say "On Average". But that does not Guarantee It will happen every 17 hands.
I have sat for hours folding hand after hand of complete Garbage, Then run into several hot hands giving me the win , one after another, but it is always in the lap of the gods, they decide when you are going to get the hands Not "Google"
The Skill in Poker comes from telling your opponents a Story of What you could be holding in your hand, and then selling them that story so that they believe you are holding "the nuts" and they fold to you when they believe it.
If they think your story is complete "Fiction" then you will get called and caught with your hand in the "Cookie Jar"
The hard part is you cannot use words only Actions!

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's not every 17 hands, it a probability of 1/17 each hand. Sometimes you will get pocket pairs back to back, other times you wont get one for ages.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
friend don't dwell on it just play what you were given and that's it because you can get a pair of AA a couple of times when your opponent sees AA once and thinks damn well, the next AA hand should come after 221 cards he can't have it again and here you have it again he has this AA pair and you'll lose to him again so just play as you can and what cards you have

JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There may be times when you receive them more frequently in a short period of time, and other times when you may go for long periods of time without receiving them. The important thing is not to rely solely on a pocket pair to be successful in poker. The game involves skill, strategy, and making intelligent decisions based on available information. So even if you get a pocket pair so often, there are still plenty of other hands and strategies that can be used to make a profit in the game.

nakiesQUensyyy

nakiesQUensyyy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
maybe 100 hands without a pair)