How often do you see river bluffs?

V

vax1op369

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The majority of the time i never see any river bluffs from players, something like 95% of time if i get raised on river or check and they make a 60% pot bet or better they have something BIG. Do you agree? I have been folding more and more on river feeling that im beat. Thoughts?

B

biosstar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I often See River bluffs when someone has a good starting Hand, betting a Lot pre Flop, doesn't Hit the Flop but c-bets Flop and Turn... If the Bet in the River isn't all-in, it might be a bluff... It depends on the Player, but i see that a lot.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since I play on pokerstars, I see a situation where the opponent bluffs all the streets, but gets the right card on the river. This happens when you have a pair, but with a weak kicker and try to reach the showdown. You can guess the bluff, but you don't know how strong his hand will be on the river.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
River bluffs are pretty rare at the lower stakes. This is why I actually think incorporating it into your game in certain spots, against certain opponents, can actually be highly profitable.

I talk about this more in my latest video:

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All situations are different. That all depends on the current hand. For sure, sometimes i see, how people can bluff even with all chip ammount, especially, if this is a freeroll game with lots of participaints.
If this is a big tournament or a cash game, for sure people bluff less on the river. But anyway i think, that it all depends on the situation and the game doesn,t matter at all.

V

vax1op369

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
River bluffs are pretty rare at the lower stakes. This is why I actually think incorporating it into your game in certain spots, against certain opponents, can actually be highly profitable.

I talk about this more in my latest video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJyHQLMxASY

Really enjoyed that video earlier!!! Never see flush bluff or anything creative very abc poker at low stakes. Glad you agree

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
A lot of low stakes regs underbluff rivers, but there are some regs that bluff enough on the river. You need to look at river aggression factor, wtsd and pots won. But almost everybody, aggressive regs included, underbluff when they raise river. If someones raises your river bet you should fold everything but nuts.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The majority of the time i never see any river bluffs from players, something like 95% of time if i get raised on river or check and they make a 60% pot bet or better they have something BIG. Do you agree? I have been folding more and more on river feeling that im beat. Thoughts?

I think folding to bigger river bets is usually the right play without the right odds. The best way to think about it is how often you have to be right to make the call worthwhile, so if it's a smaller bet:pot ratio you can call wider as you have to be right less often to make the call profitable.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty often especially if we talking about a premium hands. Players usually bet strong in such scenario

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are shy fish who are afraid. But they are afraid of big bets and not such small ones. And then there are fish calling stations. They see a pair in hand or a match with a board and hit a stake a stake on any board. And the fish of the second type are much larger than the first ones.

V

vax1op369

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alot of really good discussion on here, Learned alot on river thanks everyone, saved $5 bet here and there it adds up over a session

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a coward and therefore I very rarely see a bluff on the river)))

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
this scenario is very common and difficult to decide when we have a decent hand
so I only pay if I have information or if I already have a few chips

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
be sure a big bet on river im calling only with set, straight or Two pairs. from my expierence i know that if someone is on first position and playing big bet on river almoust all time he is a nuts.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bluffing is fine if you think villain will fold. Know who you are playing against.

V

VadaPav

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Rule no 1 never bluff at micro stakes untill u have nuts.

If no one is folding to your bluff just shift to one stake higher cz that stake is not for you.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not often , but these days I caught a guy bluffing on the river so he was embarrassed and he didn't bluff the whole game:eek:

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

River raise bluffs - essentially never - once by a player who normally played much higher stakes. River 3rd barrel bluffs; or leads after I checked turn; or they bet flop, k turn, bet river - all the time (although I play tournaments mostly, so may not apply to low stakes cash).

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty general question. However if your hand is not strong, make sure you control the pot, get to the showdown by cheap price. Also I'd just calculate the maximum bet I'd have called (if he'd bet riverr), then I bet around that price myself. Of course if you put enough good chips on the riverr and face raise then you might be on trouble. But playing weak will bring you in those tough spots so better don't show weakness unless you trapping.

R

RDHartsoe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw a river bluff today. I was actually the victim of the bluff I had the best hand but I didn't hit the board so when they bet I thought the river helped them.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had a dude try to bluff me with a missed flush draw when the river made it four to a straight. He led out with a bet about 80% of pot. Sucks for him I had 99 which made a straight. However, his sizeable bet did get me to just call because from my perspective, the bet was either a bluff or he also had a 9 or had a higher straight. In both cases raising him not gonna do any good cuz I fold out inferior hands and get called by either a split (pay more rake) or reraised by the nuts, so I just called.

Maybe he was the kind of guy to value bet two pairs on that kind of board, but I didn't think the chances were high. If he's not just a donk he has to be thinking if he has a hand that had showdown value, what worse hand was gonna call?

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am with you. I fold unless I literally have the nuts. So I never know if they are bluffing or not.

W

whyfold that

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ot to often do i see river blufss lol i am always low on chips

C

Cycorax

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
senseless bluffs from time to time on micros

yes, they propably bluff, but not that often on the micros. and when they bluff most of the time with the wrong blockers