How Much Should I TIP?

D

dainomite

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
was playing a live cash game @ 1/3 and it was pretty deep stacked and i won a 3500 dollar pot. I tipped 50 bucks looking back at it i feel like i should have tossed 100 the dealers way. Let me know what you think or would do. Thanks

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd have tossed him a $100 but $50 is fine. Ive played with plenty of guys who would have given the dealer $10-$20 in this case...

P

patfreed

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd have tossed him a $100 but $50 is fine. Ive played with plenty of guys who would have given the dealer $10-$20 in this case...
Very true. Most in my cardroom would have tipped $10 if anything. I think $50 would be considered just fine by the dealer. Really nice pot for that game. Must have been a wild table. Congrats

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jeez how much to tip....how much to tip....

If you want the dealer to be eager to push you another pot - $50 is fine. (20 is fine too)

If you want the dealer to be your friend - $300 is fine.

If you want the dealer to go home with you - $1000 is fine.

If you want the dealer to carry you home on their back - $3500 is fine.

ROTF

Myself I am not a big tipper but I am regular, which is actually more important.

Good luck !

Last edited:
elflake

elflake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It wouldn't remotely occur to me to give a dealer $50 for dealing a single hand of poker. How much should a dealer make ? I think $30 an hour is enough, certainly $40. If they just average a dollar a hand with their base pay that is about $40 an hour.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think is normal given,can do not give...

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It wouldn't remotely occur to me to give a dealer $50 for dealing a single hand of poker. How much should a dealer make ? I think $30 an hour is enough, certainly $40. If they just average a dollar a hand with their base pay that is about $40 an hour.
I flat tip $1 regardless of pot size.

Dusan

Dusan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably nothing is bets.

At least here in Vegas all dealers are hustlers so I tip them nothing.
Even in a $3000 pot that is very hard to believe what you're saying for your little 1-3 NL game, the $1 is more appropriate. When you tip $50 or $100 the dealer and the entire table take you for a fool regardless how big the pot may be. You lose your dignity when you toss $50/$100 chip to the dealer. Just think how stupid that move/scene is when a player tips $100 for winning a pot that the dealer has got nothing to do with the order of the cards coming out from the deck. Why do it?

PokerDragon99

PokerDragon99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1-5 depending on the pot is fine.
Sure most of the time it will be 1-2$

Anything more than that is notconsiderable, you dont want to waste your money, just because you won a big pot.

Aaron Soto

Aaron Soto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
50$ is more then enough. And that has got to be the biggest damn pot i ever heard of in a 1/3 game wow. I play 1/3 quite a bit, guessing this was uncapped buy-ins.

B

babboonnexx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i try to take a little percentage of the winnings in a big pot, probably 10 % It has to be a big hand though.

J

james bright

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
was playing a live cash game @ 1/3 and it was pretty deep stacked and i won a 3500 dollar pot. I tipped 50 bucks looking back at it i feel like i should have tossed 100 the dealers way. Let me know what you think or would do. Thanks
totaly depends on the dealer i have and hes been cool with me and if im a regular there the minimum 50 and as high as 350 10%

O

olephillyboy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I might have not even given 50, probably closer to 10-30! Days your hot you are always more willing to tip more though for sure! Nice pot.

T

twaynesworld

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I too am a regular and steady tipper. I tip one chip of whatever denomination is being used, unless I only got the blinds. So, if we are using $5 chips, I'll give a chip if the pot is +$100

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably nothing is bets.

At least here in Vegas all dealers are hustlers so I tip them nothing.
Even in a $3000 pot that is very hard to believe what you're saying for your little 1-3 NL game, the $1 is more appropriate. When you tip $50 or $100 the dealer and the entire table take you for a fool regardless how big the pot may be. You lose your dignity when you toss $50/$100 chip to the dealer. Just think how stupid that move/scene is when a player tips $100 for winning a pot that the dealer has got nothing to do with the order of the cards coming out from the deck. Why do it?

The dealer is there to deal your cards, manage the table, for split pots, keep the game moving etc. and they should be tipped for their labor just as a waitress or waiter would be tipped for serving your meal to you. They are paid the wage of a waiter/waitress.

I hope you tip your waitress or waiter, if not I would think twice before ordering from the same one again.

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Dealers like to be tipped but they also have to pay taxes on their tips so $50 was appropriate.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
It will depend on where are you playing; 50 dollars will be a very nice tip in Asia, Latinamerica or so on.
In the USA is an Ok tip, so It depends, as someone else pointed out, If you wanto to impress the Dealer or just tip normally! :cool:

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In brazil, we have not the habit to tip workers, but even here the dealears earn tips. I think the tip dont have to be a percentage of your gain, but equal to the professionalism of the dealer.

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A good friend of mine told me that you should always tip generously regardless of the service (unless it is totally awful). Servers, poker dealers, whatever. I probably would have tipped the same amount....$50.00 in that case. It all depends on the size of the pot...I try to tip every time I win unless it's just the blinds.

Most people with these types of jobs don't make a lot of money and have to deal with a lot of stupid customers daily...give them something to brighten up their day :)