How can I improve my NL play on the button?

Mikeisanace777

Mikeisanace777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play at pure play for fun against real people so it's kinda like legit in terms of how people would play. I crush 5-10 but once I move up my button play fails. I get a hand like 7-9 clubs or 9-10 suited when everyone limps I raise it from 2x to 5x and I miss the flop or catch middle pair. Everyone checks I bet out and everyone but one guy folds. This happens a lot at higher stakes for me and they constantly show down jj or 10-10 whereas on the lower limits they have any weak ace or nice draw and miss what i'm a supposed to do play like a nit and only play big pp when everyone keeps limping?

T

thomasguy3419

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In late position I would just limp behind everyone with suited connectors to see a cheap flop.
Your goal is to see a flop for as cheap as possible with suited connectors.
If everyone folds to me then I would open raise to steal the blinds.
You are mostly trying to hit a straight or flush draw on the flop with suited connectors.
Sure you can flop a top pair if you're lucky but you have to be careful not to be out-kicked or beaten by a higher pair.
I would try to keep the pot small or get out fast unless you hit a straight or flush draw on the flop or better yet the nuts.

Last edited:
Pauliefromgoodfellas

Pauliefromgoodfellas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play at pure play for fun against real people so it's kinda like legit in terms of how people would play. I crush 5-10 but once I move up my button play fails. I get a hand like 7-9 clubs or 9-10 suited when everyone limps I raise it from 2x to 5x and I miss the flop or catch middle pair. Everyone checks I bet out and everyone but one guy folds. This happens a lot at higher stakes for me and they constantly show down jj or 10-10 whereas on the lower limits they have any weak ace or nice draw and miss what i'm a supposed to do play like a nit and only play big pp when everyone keeps limping?

you have two decent options you can limp in position or raise to about 3xbb+1bb per limper. If you are raising too much on the button the blinds may exploit you by 3 betting you which is not optimal with hands like 79s and 910s so with aggressive players in the blinds you should limp more often than you raise. If you raise with something like 9-10 and end up heads up you should c bet most flops (80%+) regardless of the texture.

Mikeisanace777

Mikeisanace777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have two decent options you can limp in position or raise to about 3xbb+1bb per limper. If you are raising too much on the button the blinds may exploit you by 3 betting you which is not optimal with hands like 79s and 910s so with aggressive players in the blinds you should limp more often than you raise. If you raise with something like 9-10 and end up heads up you should c bet most flops (80%+) regardless of the texture.

I do and they keep having big pp I play standard good poker button poker with wird hands and a huge open range and kill fish,but the better players keep having the goods or folding and I never get paid off. Some of these better player are nits themselves and have aa or ak a lot.

Pauliefromgoodfellas

Pauliefromgoodfellas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing like a nit and playing tag are two different things. You may have just had an unlucky string of events. Do you want to give a specific example of a hand that you played where this happened?