How to get my game to the next level?

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing online poker quite seriously for about a year now and I feel like I'm kind of stuck at the same level. I'm a pretty consident winner at my current level, 25NL. For the last 15K hand I'm running about 12-13 bbpt/100. I've read just about every book I could get my hands on and I feel like I know all those basic concepts they talk about and can use them in my game. However, I don't feel like I'm learning many new things and there are some things I don't really know how to fix some things about my game (for instance I'm not aggresive enough on the turn and river).

Do you know some options for me to improve my game? E.g. going thru hand analysis, watching video's, moving up limits, reading articles etc.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're making 12PTBBs/100 over 15k hand samples, you are probably able to afford a cardrunners membership (videos of sick players playing, etc), which seems like a great investment.
Look into that.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you're pretty much crushing 25NL which is a very good sign because imo you have to be able to kill those levels to do well moving up. i'd suggest moving up to 50NL for sure. i really don't think you'll have a problem with it. play is slightly better (or more appropriately, i should say slightly less awful), but it's not much of a skill jump at all. best way to get better is experience and then analysis (either by yourself or others) of some of your play. and experience against better players is worth a lot more to your game than experience against weak players. so i think you should work on gradually moving up, and try out 50NL pronto. gl

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the reply's. Been watching some free CR vid's on CardPlayer.com - TV and they do seem to know a lot about this game :). I've tried out 50NL a couple of times, but got unlucky a couple of times, so moved back down. The play there didn't seem too great, but indeed some better than 25NL. Guess I'll take another stab soon.

Schatzdog

Schatzdog

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Combu has it spot on. Keep taking some shots at NL50 and maybe re-read NL Theory and Practice.

F

fomoppy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
analysis

one thing that helps is hand analysis
write down everything that happens in a hand. atleast the important stuff. players seeing flop/raises/calls/position
then write down the board cards and the betting/folding in turn
then go back and think about three decisions: call raise or fold: on each street and see how the hand could have turned out better(if you lost how you could have minimized that and if you won how to get more money from your opponent(s)).
then talk to friends and show them the hands and see what they woudl have done and talk about what is different and similiar between the two and analyze each other
reading articles and watching videos are sort of out there. they'll help but they tell you the same things. it's just that when you sit down at the table and play you have to be able to remember the things you are watching. if you see someone on cardrunners making blocking bets are certain times, remember to try it instead of relearning it when you see it in an article or video

Top 10 Games