How do you play a Set?

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without a position, I play a check-raise on the flop. On the turn, according to the situation, I can play a check-raise or bet 60% again. And the river is exposed if there are no "dangerous" cards. In the position I play cbet 30%.

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do I play a set?

Since I am playing micro stakes to low stakes, I almost always bet my value hands. I know that most of the player pool will go broke with a top pair hand. Many people will disagree in the comment section but I have a database full of hands that prove this point. As in all things , there are exceptions to every rule. If I am playing at a very aggressive table, I may check flop if I am pretty sure someone is going to bet. Another exception can be in 3B pots, if I open and get 3Bet , I might trap. As stated though for most situations that I find myself in, I bet my value hands, nothing worse than seeing a set check through 2 streets. They do NOT come that often.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i will slow play them unless there is a chance that a flush or straight is possible

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it really depends on what point and againts who you have a set againts

lets say flop is 10 2 8 you have 88 i wouldn't play it argo if i know he's the agro one already, but if the flop comes 10 9 8 and you have 88 its better to bet large and hope for a brick to many straights can come on the turn, but if its a dry board and you know the person loves a bet or even a bluff bet it's all these things that depend on having trips, hard to say how you would play it if you don't know the situation you are in

P

pwalker4201977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very carefully, I try not to let the pot get too big.

samersv

samersv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first rule about sets is: Never get married with sets! The second rule about sets is: Never slowplay sets! The third rule about sets is: If you notice an overset the hand is over.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I as others play according to the flop but typically on a raise I’ll shove early hoping not to get river’d as I’ve learned from previous experiences.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It mainly depends on whether I'm in position or out of position. In position, it is much easier to build a pot and get paid off. Out of position is a bit more difficult to do the same.

And it also depends if we were the preflop aggressor or not. If we're the preflop aggressor AND we're in position, then I just fire out on the flop and keep firing every street, about 2/3 or 3/4 pot up to full pot if opponent seems willing to call.

If we weren't the preflop raiser and just called pre to setmine, then it depends what the raiser does first. If they open, I'm probably just gonna call. If they don't lead on the flop, then I'm probably gonna check behind most times for deception, and try to build the pot on the turn and river.

Again... your position when flopping a set is usually gonna determine how we play out the hand, it's really the most critical aspect. As you can see, if we're checking flop OOP, then the pot won't be nearly as big by the river as the pot is when we are IP. That's just how it goes. I hope I made sense here, and it helps someone.

Rockyfour

Rockyfour

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This goes for MTTs too. This is a simple question. How do you all play a set post-flop, on the turn, and on the river? That is if it goes that far. I guess a lot would depend on the cards on the table. I mostly slow play a set post-flop, and pick up speed toward the river. I sure don't play them too aggressive and run all players out of the hand. Anyway, how about you all?

If people are folding to your bets it means your not betting enough and your range is way to value heavy. Like hands that are top of my range, probably are like bottom of yours. It's not good lol. For example,

8 4 K

I am betting with KQ, I am really high in my range. Because I am betting, any 8, any 4, any A high, sometimes gut shots, sometimes back doors, sometimes complete air.

You however, would probably only be better with , AK, maybe KQ, and sets.

Obviously everyone is going to fold when your range is that narrow.

Anyways my point is, widen your range and people won't fold when you hit sets.

Also play them aggressively (as you should with all of your very strong hands most of time).

L

lainister

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This goes for MTTs too. This is a simple question. How do you all play a set post-flop, on the turn, and on the river? That is if it goes that far. I guess a lot would depend on the cards on the table. I mostly slow play a set post-flop, and pick up speed toward the river. I sure don't play them too aggressive and run all players out of the hand. Anyway, how about you all?

For me it depends on your opponent tendecy...if he aggressive just slowplay it...if he passive, just start value betting your trips

A

arsenalcho_1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

a lot depends on the flop, if it's with draws I bet 60% of the pot, if it's a dry board and there is no danger of someone coming out Flush or Street I bet 40 or 50%, and if someone pays on the other 2 streets I bet the whole pot.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
With such a hand, I prefer an aggressive game. At least for me, aggressive play in such situations is the best option. Although I love poker, I generally try to minimize my risks.

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on a set of what ? position, pre- flop action,,number of player's in the hand but my general rule is no free cards when I hit a set

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

A set postflop is very easy to play because it's hard to read. It is important that your opponent is aggressive enough to catch his overpair as quickly as possible, or even better two. In this case, he will place all his chips on the table himself. The main thing is not to scare him off too early with your overbet. A check-raise works well with a fake overpair with a weak kicker.

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's always that sort of thing based on feelings and what's on the table. No matter what set, most of the time I will bet unless I want to control the pot. I mean it's a great feeling to hit the set but what if the flop is connected? Does the set matter anymore? For me, it doesn't have any value if there's three suited cards or 3 connected cards. Worth a bet, worth some calls, but it's likely a loser. What if turn brings the third suited or what if turn brings the 4th suited. You can have a pretty much dead set. What if river goes against your stream? I've lost a lot in the beginning with sets so now I base my actions on the opponent's story telling.
I think Omaha taught the best lessons about sets and "sailing" like boats vs bigger boats.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
it depends on the board, profile of the opposing player and his stack, you can check-call or check-raise if you are almost sure that he will bet

andreypuch

andreypuch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggressive - as always. Micro-limit players don't like to fold, and a set is a well-disguised hand that will often get a call of several streets.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing a set depends on your opponents' style of play, what kind of player is sitting in front of me and behind me, it depends on the texture of the flop, and playing at the table also depends on my table image.
But in the vast majority of cases, it’s worth playing with it slowly.

Miguelpaniura0893

Miguelpaniura0893

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The sets the games with 3 bets unless flush draws or straight draws come out, in that case I try to play them more calmly in the middle of the pot if I go all-in folded unless it is a small bet, and in the In the event that a pair comes out and I have a full house, I try to get my opponent to take the initiative, but I see that he bet on the river, I raise half the pot so as not to scare him, but if he calls to win a little at least.

Bennoda

Bennoda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer slow play, but you still need to see the whole situation on the river, I rarely go to the alyn if only the enemy does it himself

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always aggressive, coz slow playing let villains to "get there" so many times.

tra1mp

tra1mp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always aggressive, coz slow playing let villains to "get there" so many times.

Yes, I totally agree. Flushes or straights are often bought in addition. But if the hand has improved to a full house, you can play slowly. If the opponent is aggressive.

maestro121920

maestro121920

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
get as much value as possible as fast as I can