How do you play a Set?

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This goes for MTTs too. This is a simple question. How do you all play a set post-flop, on the turn, and on the river? That is if it goes that far. I guess a lot would depend on the cards on the table. I mostly slow play a set post-flop, and pick up speed toward the river. I sure don't play them too aggressive and run all players out of the hand. Anyway, how about you all?

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the board. If if there is a protentional for a flush or straight I would play aggressively and take down the pot.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends of stakes, board structure and your opponent. But if you play micro, low limit mtts then it's better to play it aggresive and not to slowplay. People on micro are mostly passive and you want a maxium value so just bet bet bet or x/r bet bet with a decent bet sizing like minimum 2/3.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At first I wait for somebody to go all in and if that does not happen, I go all in.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies you guys. I guess we really don't know how we will play a set until we are in the hand. I know I change up sometimes, because of what you said Misaki."depends of stakes, board structure and your opponent" It's even more so when we have more than one opponent. Thanks again and GL today if you play

srurrr

srurrr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will play as much as possible to bring it all in. Of course, it may fold depending on the board. I think the important thing in the set is to narrow down the opponent's hand by hand reading.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play sets per se. I try to constuct an over all strategy I employ while playing the game. I'll have opening ranges, 3bet ranges, 4bet ranges...
So post flop I'm more of the mind set of how good or bad that flop is towards my whole range not just my hand. Same for villian 'does that flop hit his range?'.
The types of questions I ask when I actually have a set is 'how hard did that flop hit the villians range' or 'is it likely that flop hit other peoples ranges'
Another important thing to consider is how many draws could be possible with the ranges you think others are likely to have.
If there's lots of possible draws I tend to bet as I think I'm more likely to be called. But if villian is betting lots with draws a check/raise might be considered.
There is a lot to be considered when I hit a strong hand. Generally when I have a good hand I'm try to figure out the best way to get money in the pot.
Flop texture is important as well. The action pre flop too(better idea of ranges). eg villian opens 4x utg hero calls bu with 77. flop is 237 utg cbets 1/2 pot. hero? Im likely to call where as Im more likey to raise on an AK7 board.

lovemetender

lovemetender

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to slow play when I hit a set.
Generally I check and see what my oponent does.

Valera979

Valera979

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to slow play when I hit a set.
Generally I check and see what my oponent does.
I also like the slow game, the deep sets.No need to rush anywhere! As they say, you go more quietly, you will be far away, to the prize places ! )

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First, I hide from my opponent that I have set a, then with the turn I gain momentum with raises.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Well ... it will depend a lot on the cards on the flop ... for example if there is a pair formed on the flop ... possibly I will wait for my opponents to make their first move and make a "Call" and on the "Turn" I will make a bet more aggressive to get value from my cards

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 bet on the flop and then on the stack. Scientifically proven 1000 times that slow play set is evil)

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies you all. I read them all. And reading them, I see that we all play a set the same. I will have to watch out from you guys.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hay again you all. I was playing earlier and I just happened to get a good example on this subject. First of all, I caught 88 and there was 4 players in the hand counting me. There was a small bet pre-flop. The flop come J810. Not a real good flop for my set. with a possible str8 there. Anyway, I think I was in the CO. First to bet matched the pot and the other 2 players just called. It was a dream hand if no one had a str8. Anyway, I just called the bet. The turn was a 2. Even better for my hand. The first to bet checked, and other 2 checked too. I bet half the pot and lost one player. The river card was a 3. I said WOW. It was again checked to me and I moved all in. I lost one other player, but got just what I wanted. One caller and a big nice pot. I know you all have some good examples too. GL you guys

scottychase

scottychase

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Answer On Playing A Set

All depends on the type of set, your position, the cards on the boards and your stack. Also a preflop chart will be good to use.

k0k17

k0k17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interestingly, in cash games, they set limits on purpose so as not to lose everything?

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi again you all, and thanks for the replies. I was just thinking that many times I play a set like the nuts. When I'm playing, and I catch low pairs, I call pre-flop, and if I don't catch a set, then the first thing I think is if I don't hit my sets, I'm not doing much on winning a hand. Does that make sense? GL you all

L

Lucky River

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
against aggressive players, I play big bets right off the flop, sometimes checking to let the players bluff against me.

D

dukgen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learned never to slow play my sets. It always ends in heartbreak if I do.

deputat777

deputat777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play the set in isolation on the flop to prevent my opponent from reaching the turn and river.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies you all. I'm dragging this morning, so I will just leave it at that. GL today you guys

T

tiefgang23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if the board is draw heavy, i play it aggresivly even when i am in the bigblind and flop set with 44 , i donkbet to get as many chips as i can, but if the board is rainbow , i check most of the time, it works till now :)

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow on a dry board, aggressive on a wet board, depends also on my position and stacks

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This goes for MTTs too. This is a simple question. How do you all play a set post-flop, on the turn, and on the river? That is if it goes that far. I guess a lot would depend on the cards on the table. I mostly slow play a set post-flop, and pick up speed toward the river. I sure don't play them too aggressive and run all players out of the hand. Anyway, how about you all?

I think it would also depend on the number of players in the pot, stack sizes and action pre-flop. If a TAG player 3-bet and had a couple of callers with 30bb behind or less I would lead small on an Ace high flop expecting the TAG to X/raise -then get it all-in. In general, if a top pair hand or draw hand had to commit half their stack or more to call a 3-bet I would put them in a position where they either re-raise all-in, or have the majority of their chips in the pot before the turn. I would also play fast in a bounty game where you can force a bounty to go all-in while pushing other player's draw hands off the bounty.

If it's early and over 50bb deep I would agree with slow playing early, but also consider what the opp calls with on later streets if potential draws come in and they start getting frisky.