How to get away from a hand when facing big bets when holding TPTK?

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One major leak (esp in online games) I have is being unable to get away from my TPTK when facing a raise either on the turn or on the river. For some reason at live 1/2 I can easily get away from it when needed most of the time but online (both tourneys and cash) I struggle to find the fold button often enough.

That said, I wanted to get some of my lines and thought processes down here and see what others think of these lines. It's obvious I'm missing something in some of these spots and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mostly by TPTK I mean we hold hands like AK and there's an Ace on the board. Or we hold AQ and there's a Q on the board. Sometimes a K when we hold AK.

So here is how I think about these hands/spots by different pieces of the puzzle and the line I tend to take. Do you think each line is correct, needs work, or is completely wrong?

Based on preflop action:

- Obviously with AK I'm often willing to play for stacks esp when facing just one opponent so when an opponent raises and simply calls my 3-bet OR when I open and they simply call,we can often assume they're looking to hit the flop hard with big draws, 2 pairs, and set mining. If I'm the last to bet preflop, I'm C-betting here a large percentage of the time whether or not I hit at least a pair...and if they re-raise and I have TPTK, I'm sometimes stuck on whether to call or put in another raise or fold.

Based on board texture:

- Obviously if the board is wet or draw heavy and I hit TPTK, I'm leading out to give incorrect odds to draw. If they call and the turn does not seem to complete a draw, Im firing again, and if the river makes an obvious draw complete that's clear as day, IP I'm calling small min bets or folding to big raises and OOP I'm usually check/folding. Rarely I'll bet OPP here for value if I think the opponent has a weaker kicker and fold to a raise as the draw likely got there.

- If the board is pretty dry and low, I'm mindful of sets but often am betting for value both as a standard C-Bet and also for value when we hit an A or K. If they raise I'm cautious here but don't want to call passively so will sometimes bet again but i do think I sometimes call too much here.

- At the river if no obvious draws completed my biggest leak I think, is trying to get into a betting war with TPTK rather than simply either a.) calling small river donk bets or b.) checking when OOP and reassessing based on opponent's action. I find too often I'll value bet then get jammed on and have no idea where I am anymore in the hand. Or IP I'm not flatting their small donk bet enough and raising and getting shoved on.

Based on opponent actions:

- Especially at the micros I think I overestimate the opponents' ability to understand that slow playing at the micros is bad and they (like I would and you reading this would) should be getting value bets in on good hands like flopped sets , flopped 2 pair, etc. But for me I think I get carried away trying to get value off TPTK when really I'm just giving value to the opponent who doesn't raise their bigger hands on flops and turns and seem oblivious that I could have something that draws out on them. So I rarely slow play hands and go for value but I think I forget that many micro players love to slow play and think they're check/check/SHOVE or "call/call/check/SHOVE!" lines are brilliant. And I guess they are because I fall for it more than I should! :rolleyes:

- If opponents are simply calling my bets on drawing boards I assume they are drawing which is obviously wrong sometimes. And if they raise my flop or turn bets I wonder if I should be folding TPTK much more on these spots. Then again I get stuck here if the board is draw heavy because I've seen many players aggressively raise their big draws (and it's a tactic I've started doing which seems to be a nice play). So I know the moves in these drawing spots....then I fall for them myself sometimes :D.

- Opponent lines seem to range from aggressively overbetting air to passively playing decent hands and everything in between.

I don't know how much sense these lines make but basically I'm looking for ways to play TPTK better online. I think I just need to check back more on rivers and fold more to aggression from very tight players and very whale players. Ironically I feel like against LAGs and aggro fish I tend to be able to make hero calls when I've seen them run these crazy aggressive lines but I don't know what is stopping me from making more hero folds.

Part of me thinks the solution is literally as easy as checking back more on rivers with TPTK or at the most calling small donk bets and stop getting out of line calling huge river bets or trying to 3-bet villains when a call will do with "just a pair."

So I'm welcoming any tips, comments, and feedback on these lines and want to hear how you play TPTK on various boards and how you find the fold button more if indeed that is what I need to be doing. Thanks!

K

kball64

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't read the whole thing, but being the aggressor in poker is important as well as position. When playing online it's good to note who you're playing against and what there VPIP/PFR is at least.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ask your self a question , how many streets of value do you go for with tpwk or tpmk ? usually one maybe two and it's not by blasting big on the flop turn and river. We usually pot control even with tptk some of the time and with worse we nearly always pot control.Unless we are vs a calling station we know calls down super light.

So top pair is usually good for a call on the flop and turn.It's a two street hand and 3 barrel bluffs are under used.From this position we have to gain info on villain so we know whether or not calling down 3 streets is good or perhaps calling turn barrels is bad. tptk isn't usually good enough to call down 3 streets.

With any hand we have like AK AQ when we hit tptk we will most often be in a 3bet pot or at'least be the preflop aggressor so we wont be in a position of calling down 3 streets.

Banjois

Banjois

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not that good of a hand, if somebody's coming at you aggressively. Either they've got something better, or are bluffing like mad, hoping for some luck on the turn and river. Don't get too attached to it, and drop it sooner rather than later.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, u are either willing to gamble and have a read on ur opponent, u might wanna gamble, but ask yourself, are u willing to lose 20% of ur stack on that hand

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
That's one of the reasons why I didn't like poker. I find your tactics too complicated, personally I only play for fun, I don't like to put too much strain on my head.

Interesting 1st post. Bumping a 3yr. old thread with a thought-provoking response.
Hmm.... doesn't like to think too much... Is this the pokerzz?

The BLAST sng's on 888poker might be a format of interest for you. Not much mental strain in those games.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its poker and its always a gamble but thats why we play for the good hands.. If some1 bluffs you showing nothing you would play a lil different,its not to often the other is holding Aces or whatever is higher than what's on the table. Good luck.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Easy enough to get away from top pair with top kicker, especially against aggression. Hardest thing is actually the easiest thing, simply fold.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All beginner players have this problem; there is no universal recipe, everything is situational. In general, reraising to dry boards on late streets from nits and passive players, for example, will clearly mean a monster. In general, stats and notes decide everything.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands