How to adjust UTG/MP opening range on fishy 2NL tables? (6-max)

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the solved GTO Wizard 2.5bb opening range for UTG in 6-max at 500NL:

GTO Range

I am wondering the best away to adjust this range and open raise size for a fishy 2NL table where my raise is sure to get lots of callers, resulting in lots of multiway pots with bad and middling players.

I often hear that I should widen this opening range to play more pots with the bad players. But between rake and the poor equity of being multiway, is it actually profitable to open "good multiway hands" like A5s and K8s? Are the implied odds of making a big hand while multiway with bad players strong enough in the long run? Are "good multiway hands" basically just hands that can make strong flushes, straights and sets?

Would this be an example of a good exploitative open raise range from UTG?

Exploit Range

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Decrease the frequency of opening "second best" hands like ATo, QJo, etc. Not a lot of those in an UTG RFI range but still relevant for the other positions.
Increase the frequency of opening suited aces, suited connectors and pocket pairs. Basically all the hands that stack one or multiple sticky loose passive recreational players once you hit a big hand and they hit some pair.

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you. What do you think of open raise size adjustments in this situation? If I know it is going to be multiway should I raise higher to like 3.5bb to make a bigger pot for the times that I hit? Or is 2.5bb better since I won't be winning the pot most of the time and i'll be OOP?

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you think you can avoid going multiway by raising larger you can definitely raise larger. In my experience though, online poker is kinda nitty already and even at microstakes most pots are played heads-up. A lot of people are playing short also and you don't really want to decrease SPR further when you're playing a lot of speculative hands.

Rather than open-raising larger you might want to squeeze and raise over limpers slightly larger because the recreational players are more likely to call any sizing than the thinking players.

I guess in the right situation sizing up your open raise can help. I just don't really see that situation arising in online poker all that often.