Heads-up Strategy?

smells_flushy

smells_flushy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often finish off second in live games with friends; maybe because I'm weak at heads-up. That may be true since I've never read any articles on heads-up. My friends claim that I can be read easily, and this might be true too.

What tips can you offer me to improve my heads-up game?

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am no expert and there are certainly lots of good advise out there. I believe most of the good ones will tell you to play more pots and be aggressive. If you are the SB and therefore the button, you should play almost every hand since you have position. Don't be afraid to raise with hands you would normally fold in a full game. Pairs and face cards, especially aces go up in value and hands like suited connectors go down in value.

A

Alfoldem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a friend of mine started to bug me by constantly beating me heads up, he's aggressive generally in poker and fond of a bluff, i noticed that each time he bet my mindset was he's either laying a huge bluff on me or he has the nuts - thus increasing the pressure on my decision making.

The way round this type of player?

On a few occasions he checked down a couple of pots when i had huge hands and was waiting to trap him, he didnt fall for it and i prob didnt get the most value from the pot but i showed and he noticed the hand. This happened once or twice more then suddenly he had gone from aggressive betting that had me under pressure to someone who was afraid to bet for fear of being slowplayed.

i think there is a lot of importance heads up to defining the type of player - TAG, LAG etc etc and adjusting your play accordingly

:)

L

LuckilyMe

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually call thinking tyhat they are bluffing when they actually have something. Heads up is often easy but only if you get the cards to play.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one word.........AGGRESSION!!!!