Hand range to call a 3bet preflop

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I often run into aggressive 3betters who re-raise you preflop when they're in position. How do I develop a hand range for calling a re-raise vs a lose 3better? Say we raise pre with hands like KQ AJ 88 and villain 3bets on BTN. What hand range should we go with for calling vs a loose 3better and what hand range should we go with vs a tight one?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on your position, his position, the size of his 3-bet, the effective stack depth and exactly how loose, you think, he is 3-betting. You should also have a 4-betting range, so you need to first determine, if your hand is good enough to continue, and then if it play better as a call or a 4-bet.

I know, this is not the simple answer, you are looking for, but poker is not that simple. There are for sure hand range charts somewhere, that can give a general answer, but if you really want to work on this and perfect your ranges, you need to get programs like solvers or PokerSnowie and put in some hours away from the table.

In general though you should tend to fold hands, that mostly make a second best pair. A hand like KQo might look like, its to good to fold, but the issue is, that even when you flop relatively strong, your situation often just got worse. Flop come KXX, he have AA or AK, there goes a lot of money. Flop comes QXX, he have AA, KK or AQ, there goes a lot of money.

So if I have to outline some kind of general range, completing ignoring positions, stack size, bet size and player tendencies, maybe you want to continue against a 3-bet out of position with something like 88+, AQ+ and some suited connected hands.

25thinfantryman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
id call the reraise with aj or kq if i had the extra chips

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
can only agree with Fundiver199 here.

Take a look at your opening range and add hands from youre RFI/Fold into the RFI/call. As youre playing OOP suits dont matter as much, as you wont be bluffing a lot.

What you could also try depending on your stats and your opponents is start 4-bet-bluffing with the bottom of youre range.

May i ask what sort of cashgame you play? Especially in zoom/ ff there is plenty of people that 3bet very light. Just got to have enough sample on them and then you can start exploiting.

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
can only agree with Fundiver199 here.

Take a look at your opening range and add hands from youre RFI/Fold into the RFI/call. As youre playing OOP suits dont matter as much, as you wont be bluffing a lot.

What you could also try depending on your stats and your opponents is start 4-bet-bluffing with the bottom of youre range.

May i ask what sort of cashgame you play? Especially in zoom/ ff there is plenty of people that 3bet very light. Just got to have enough sample on them and then you can start exploiting.

I play at normal tables at ACR.

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play at normal tables at ACR.
might want to be carefull with 4-bet-bluffing too much.

People will generally play looser compared to zoom and look you up more often. Especially if they run HUDs, but even then they will need a big enough sample on youre 4bets, wich takes time. Maybe start adding bluffs carefully. 80/20 value/bluff and start adding combos if they fold more often.

Also sizing, try and force mistakes. If you start 4betting hands like AQo with a small sizing (like 2-2.5x oop) and they then start calling you with AJs or KQs cause of the great odds they get youre range is ahead again. Generally you want to block Ax or Kx, as you will block theire 5betting/allin range.

Edit: Mind the Number of combos AQo is 16 vs AJs 4 so either randomize or pick suits. And allways compare them with youre value-range. If you would 4bet AA, KK, AKs and AQo you get like 16/16 value/bluff wich then probably is not so gud :D allways villain dependend

Last edited:
pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
To complicate it even further: you also have to add the villains post flop tendencies.

Some aggressive 3-bettors are also very aggro post. If you are deep you can therefore more often call with a hand that flops strong (like pairs) and get paid when they barrel over cards etc.

Some players are the opposite and are very fit or fold.

And some call to much.

But in general if you don't think someone is exploiting you it is just easier to fold all but the top of your range OOP.

If you want to play more post you can start to tighten up or mini-raise (or even limp) if you have some stupid loose-aggro player to your left.

If the villain is a good LAG or TAG often just change table unless there is some other fish at the table.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For a loose opponent, I usually use a very wide range of hands, for example K10 suited or Q10 suited, sometimes Q9 suited. For a tight opponent, I usually use premium hands such as AK, AQ suited and pairs AA, KK, QQ and JJ. Very often I change my range of hands so that my opponents do not know how I play.

L

Lisavandervelden12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take your normal hand ranges and expand them. Easy peezy.

The looser they are the more your expand your hand ranges.

Verse an opponent, sometimes any ace or any king is good...depends where u play, and the limits.

elmansky

elmansky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many factors to consider when facing a 3-bet, but three rise above the rest in terms of importance:The tendencies of the 3-bettor.
The size of the raise.
How well our hand realizes it’s equity.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands