Guy on left keeps intentionally 3betting open raises

M

Malyck

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good morning,

I’ve been playing NL50 and found myself in a position a few times where I’ll open raise and the guy to my left keeps intentionally 3betting me and a lot of times what I open with falls outside of what I would feel comfortable calling with. Other than switching seats or tables how do you usually handle this when it happens?

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good morning,

I’ve been playing NL50 and found myself in a position a few times where I’ll open raise and the guy to my left keeps intentionally 3betting me and a lot of times what I open with falls outside of what I would feel comfortable calling with. Other than switching seats or tables how do you usually handle this when it happens?

Couple of options

#1 as previous poster said try 4-betting them with some semi-bluffs (Ax blockers or KQo blockers will do the trick)

#2 start opening a narrower range so that you can continue with a larger % of your new opening range facing the 3-bet

#3 call with a few more speculative hands than you would normally facing a 3-bet but check-raise more aggressively on a lot of flops (gutshots, overcards, backdoor draws etc.)

Remember if they are 3-betting you with a very wide range, it will be tough for them to continue very often when facing aggression. Use that power of the chips!

I'm a big fan of the options you mentioned above though, jockeying for position on this player or finding a better spot/game is the ideal adjustment because being out of position deepstacked against an aggressive 3-bettor is certainly one of the toughest spots in holdem.

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only thing I will add to the last post is that if you do anything but tighten up, ie 4 bet more or call more you are definitely increasing your variance. You find yourself in a lot of coin flip situations and also playing most flops OOP.

Those options also vary depending on the villans post-flop play/aggression. Do they have the ability to fold?

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Same as what the previous said.

If you know you are going to be re-raised, I would be more selective with my opens. With the ones I do, I would have to go into the hand with the intention of 4 betting.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good morning,

What's his 3bet%? And how many hands did you play with him? Sometimes people run hot and it looks like they are 3betting light.

I can only imagine he's doing it intentionally if you are overfolding or opening too wide (rather than him just playing a balanced 3 bet range). What % of your open range are you calling 3bets with? You should be continuing with at least 40% of your range assuming your opening range isn't too wide. And if you have a big hand sample with him and he really is 3 betting too much you can 4 bet light and call wider (or if you wanna play it safe open tighter so you can continue with more of your opening range)

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is it all the time of the game? there were no decent cards to answer the subscriber, a very large bet or all in.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars