GTO Trainer 6MAX: Why we calling so loose in some spots on the flop?

K

Kroeska

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everybody! On my journey to become a better poker player, I train on a GTO trainer for 15 minutes every day. Very educational, but I understand very well that these trainers assume that V also plays like GTO.
Despite knowing this, I come across several situations where I totally don't understand why choices are made; especially when I have to call according to GTO where I folded almost 100% of the time.
See a few examples below:

In this spot, example 1:
100bb 6max: CO raise to 2.5bb , SB 3B to 11bb, CO call.
CO: 5.08%
SB: 11.46%
Of course no specific range, but more hands that would for example 3B 20-40% or 40/60% of time, same for calling the 3B on CO.

Flop Ac 6c 9c
Pot 23bb
SB bets 6.9bb
We have 56 of hearts on the CO.

3 clubs on the flop, very easy calculating on range tells us that V have a bunch of AX in his range. Of course 3X a club on flop makes it tricky.

What do you think?

GTO tells us that:
Fold 0.0 EV (0.01% of peoples choise)
Call 6.9bb +2.402 EV (99.20%)
Raise 19bb +1.1314 EV (0.79%)
Raise 89BB -9.054 EV

Example 2:
100bb 6max: CO raise to 2.5bb , BB 3B to 11bb, CO call.
CO: 8.10%
BB: 10.22%

Flop Ks 3c Ac
Pot 23bb
BB bets 6.8
We have 5d5c on the CO

GTO:
Fold 0.00 EV (0.13% of peoples choise)
Call 6.8bb +0.547 EV (67.31%)
Raising 18.7bb +0.536 EV (32.56)
Raising 89bb -7.229 EV

These are some easy examples. There are examples that V is IP, and we check call OP on fhe flop. The overal question of course is: why we calling so loose in some spots on the flop?

There are situations that I doubt calling the river, but there can something to be said for how much money you have already invested and how many % of the times you have to be good for + EV. But these flop examples, where if you call you probably go to a turn with a really bad feeling, I realy don't understand.

In advance thanks a lot for your reply, you are great! Have a nice day, regards.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The program assume, your opponent (the 3-bettor) has a balanced range, and in that case these low pairs have equity, because they are ahead of bluffs. The bet size is also very small, so you cant fold very many hands without making bluffing profitable for the opponent. This is kind of the whole point of these small flop bets. They are very difficult to defend against, because you have to call with a lot of hands, that hate playing future streets and would much rather face either a check or a large bet, so they could check behind or fold :)

K

Kroeska

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The program assume, your opponent (the 3-bettor) has a balanced range, and in that case these low pairs have equity, because they are ahead of bluffs. The bet size is also very small, so you cant fold very many hands without making bluffing profitable for the opponent. This is kind of the whole point of these small flop bets. They are very difficult to defend against, because you have to call with a lot of hands, that hate playing future streets and would much rather face either a check or a large bet, so they could check behind or fold :)

Thanks FunD. Feels like a big drawback for me, where I call too loose against V in my game. But of course this depends entirely on V's stats and the situation. Have a nice sunday.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks FunD. Feels like a big drawback for me, where I call too loose against V in my game. But of course this depends entirely on V's stats and the situation. Have a nice sunday.

This is why, you should probably not try to play GTO in most micro or low stakes games. If your opponents are weighted towards value, and if they will not adjust based on, what you do, then you exploit them by overfolding and not paying off their big hands. That can be true in 3-bet pots and many other situations as well.

There is also a psycological aspect to this however. When we call and lose (either at showdown or by folding later), its feels like a failure. But against small bets we dont need to win very often to make money. Like in this hand, where I was getting like 15:1 on a river call and called with J high. Most of the time, when I make this call, I lose. But once in a blue moon, the opponent will show up with something like this, and this one time pay for all the others :)

CardsChat Poker Hands Converter

K

Kroeska

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is why, you should probably not try to play GTO in most micro or low stakes games. If your opponents are weighted towards value, and if they will not adjust based on, what you do, then you exploit them by overfolding and not paying off their big hands. That can be true in 3-bet pots and many other situations as well.

There is also a psycological aspect to this however. When we call and lose (either at showdown or by folding later), its feels like a failure. But against small bets we dont need to win very often to make money. Like in this hand, where I was getting like 15:1 on a river call and called with J high. Most of the time, when I make this call, I lose. But once in a blue moon, the opponent will show up with something like this, and this one time pay for all the others :)

CardsChat Poker Hands Converter

I understand FunD. Thanks a lot 4 yr comment! Have a nice day