Going for Broke vs. Careful play

Merlin333

Merlin333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well. Im at a place many poker players probably are - I have a knowledge and command of the math, what various "books" say about what to do when and some experience in applying this "knowledge".

This is a place where with any acquired skill - I refer to as the "vast wasteland" other known as the beginning. I have just come to the "end" of a period where I've played a lot of games with differing methods and styles against different skill levels and styles of opponents in three other forums I'm a member of - Railbirds, Suited Pockets and CardsChat. One of these forums' members have distinct views on other forums play but I have found players ranging from excellent to novice in all three. Many of the same players are in all and they each feature players with well documented experience and success William Thorson (Lollipop), Tom Mc Evoy, Tony (Tsunami) Guerra just to name a few. As of today, I'm ranked in the freeroll section, 99th in RailBirds, 4th in CardsChat and Suited Pockets keeps no running leaderboard as such but I did manage to rank 15th in their RSOP tournament. I say all of this to say - now comes the time to see if I am able to correctly evaluate what I've learned, what I've experienced, what I've read and fashion it into a winning way of playing poker?

I have found substantiation for my core belief that this game is entirely situational and those who say "always do this or always do that" have missed the point. My other core beliefs are these - the math is the easy part and the hard part is handling your own personality tendencies, properly blending and applying the math and table/opposition to arrive at the "correct" decision. For those who think that correct means always, only playing AA, KK, AK, QQ (or QQ,AK) on the button brings me to one of pokers few absolutes - they are wrong.

So now I'm at an (not the) end of experimentation. I became serious about this game when I joined RailBirds in April of '07 and just like my own forum, I'm a month behind my schedule - now I'll see if I came to the right conclusions.

On the issue of "Going for Broke" or "Playing it safe" - by nature I'm a go for broke personality type. For me this has resulted in early outs or wins, "Playing it safe" has resulted in more middle finishes - there is some middle ground.

I'm not really sure how I feel about that either.

One thing is for certain. The players at the table who always know with exactitude what play you should have made - you know who I mean - the ones who just folded and "knew" what hand you had (and is always wrong) or the one who gives running "expert" commentary on the skill level of everyone at the table COULDN"T POSSIBLY have this game so cold, figured out - I'm not so sure anyone does. That's what makes this game so fun and interesting and challenging.

The players who seem most likely to really have it figured out seem to spend more time at the table raking other players chips, rather than talking about it.....

Now the real fun begins...

Merlin333
cool.gif

A

Adventurebound2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I tried, I'm lost...The only question mark is used on a run on sentence that is not a question.

I got you own a forum and are a member at 3 others, play a lot of freerolls and think players are either high risk takers ready to shoot for any suckout they can or tight players wanting to play solid hands and none exist inbetween. You happen to be one who will risk it all hoping for a card and probably bluff like a madman the rest of the time.

Almost forgot, you said you're a month behind on your own forum. No idea what that has to do with CC or playing poker though.

The point of this thread is???

Merlin333

Merlin333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmmm

I guess there are those who never get anything. I'm sure there are some who did and although I have communicated directly with those charged with such matters, I have heard no complaints from them. That you have "issue" with what I have written means less than nothing.

It may come as a surprise to you that no member here finds themselves always in agreement with all that is written, it is just a sad, simple few who waste their time and text writing in a childish attempt to make derisive remarks. Read on, much is written on this forum. Don't waste your time reading what I write and this will leave you more time to read more items to your taste. Even you may find something you can understand and/or agree with.

While you don't get what I was writing about, I'm sure some feel after reading your post

..... and the point of your thread is?

Merlin333:cool:

Last edited:
Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tried, I'm lost...The only question mark is used on a run on sentence that is not a question.

I got you own a forum and are a member at 3 others, play a lot of freerolls and think players are either high risk takers ready to shoot for any suckout they can or tight players wanting to play solid hands and none exist inbetween. You happen to be one who will risk it all hoping for a card and probably bluff like a madman the rest of the time.

Almost forgot, you said you're a month behind on your own forum. No idea what that has to do with CC or playing poker though.

The point of this thread is???
Thanks AB. I 100% agree with you and I'm pretty sure most folks who read this guy's stuff feel the same way. He always has a way of trying to inflate himself in his posts by using grandiose words and trying to complicate subjects instead of keeping things simple for his readers to more easily understand. Not that I don't understand his babble, but I bet most of the folks here either have to reach for their dictionaries or they just tune out after the first few sentences.

Did you notice he managed to slip in the name of his favorite forum 3 times? I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned the name of his own forum yet, if it even exists.

Merlin333

Merlin333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm

The same pests.....

Not worth my time.......

Don't you guys and your friends have something better to do?

Once again

..... and the point of your post is.........

Stick aren't you the one who wrote angrily on one of the forums mentioned (of which you are also a member) on my defense of a derisive name and accusation made against members there? Don't you have anything better to do than run around whining? The exact, same post is on other sites and seen by 100's of members and only a few here have responded this way - pitiful.

hahaha I also notice your sig contains the name of your own blog.

Merlin333 :cool:

p.s. For the record as to what others think. I don't have to guess - I've received PM's regarding these posts, and members like you who make them, believe me there are those who have thoughts on your childish "attacks". It's a shame that a few long time members are so small-minded. Fine, I don't mind at all, keep 'em coming kids....

Last edited: