Going broke off 2nd/3rd nuts

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So 2nd/3rd nuts are really crushing me. How do you guys avoid going broke with your 2nd-3rd nuts? I find myself losing 100-300BB before calling the night off of 2nd nuts. When you do have the 2nd nuts do you not go all-in? Here is a hand that ended my night:

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 113.4 BB (VPIP: 75.00, PFR: 75.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, hands: 6)
SB: 147.6 BB (VPIP: 22.77, PFR: 18.46, 3Bet Preflop: 5.26, Hands: 333)
Hero (BB): 123.4 BB
UTG: 47.4 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 1)
MP: 100 BB (VPIP: 20.32, PFR: 15.87, 3Bet Preflop: 3.40, Hands: 1,013)
CO: 201 BB (VPIP: 36.36, PFR: 27.27, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 13)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 8:diamond: 6:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 2.8 BB, fold, Hero calls 1.8 BB

Flop: (6.1 BB, 2 players) 3:diamond: T:diamond: 9:club:
Hero bets 3 BB, BTN calls 3 BB

Turn: (12.1 BB, 2 players) 7:spade:
Hero checks, BTN bets 8.5 BB, Hero raises to 23 BB, BTN raises to 107.6 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 84.6 BB

River: (227.3 BB, 2 players) A:club:

[spoil]BTN shows 8:club: J:club: (Straight, Jack High)
(Pre 69%, Flop 56%, Turn 77%)
Hero shows 8:diamond: 6:diamond: (Straight, Ten High)
(Pre 31%, Flop 44%, Turn 23%)
BTN wins 216 BB

2.4 BB was deducted from the pot for the jackpot.

[/spoil]

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you guys avoid going broke with your 2nd-3rd nuts?

The short answer is we dont. Coolers are part of poker, and in the long run they dont matter, because we will cooler our opponents just as often, as they will cooler us. We will open the J8s from BTN, and they will defend with 86s, and they will also lose their whole stack to us, when the runout is like this.

So hands like this is not the reason, why someone lose in poker. The reasons for losing is the rake and then the hands, where you could have made some different and better decisions than those, you made.

In this hand you could have taken some different lines for sure. Like check-raising or check-calling the flop rather than donk betting. Or you could have bet the turn rather than going for a check-raise. But no alternative line involve you folding at any point, so the outcome would have been the same.

Last edited:
pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
The short answer is we dont. Coolers are part of poker, and in the long run they dont matter, because we will cooler our opponents just as often, as they will cooler us. We will open the J8s from BTN, and they will defend with 86s, and they will also lose their whole stack to us, when the runout is like this.

So hands like this is not the reason, why someone lose in poker. The reasons for losing is the rake and then the hands, where you could have made some different and better decisions than those, you made.

In this hand you could have taken some different lines for sure. Like check-raising or check-calling the flop rather than donk betting. Or you could have bet the turn rather than going for a check-raise. But no alternative line involve you folding at any point, so the outcome would have been the same.

True against population and true against balanced players.

BUT: especially in deep stack poker you have to be able to let go of bottom set, low flushes and the dummy end of straights especially against nitty, passive players.

Some times you even have to fold second nuts against big all-ins and /or re-raise because they almost never do this with any other hand than the nuts.

I played against a lot of regs on SvS (svenska spel) for about 10 years so I knew them all without a HUD.

In the hand above the nits would just call with a set or worse. If the re-raise you all-in you look at a split pot at best.

I have folded even middle set on dry boards against some players and KK was an insta-fold if they got all-in pre flop for 100BB or more. King high flush (second nuts) when they re-raise me all-in for all their money on the river: just laugh and fold.

Maybe this type of obvious players get more rare online, but they still exists on the lowest levels and in LIVE poker.

Play the player for maximum exploitation.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have such a monster draw on the flop and you hit the card that pays you more than hitting a flush. Just a cooler that you have to pay off.