Is my friend insane? Folding QQ to AK preflop.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am calling. and i have even done so, and got a good size pot.

S

Syfted

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anarchy, this is a hypothetical live situation, not a real hand from an internet site.

The point is to show how we should be attempting to exploit even the smallest edges in a poker game. However, at some point the money involved will become so great that we become risk averse, at which point we should cash out, because we've lost our ability to exploit that edge. You shouldn't fear the variance.

Poker is a game of very small edges and failing to exploit them is a severe folly.

Also, Anarchy, you have no way of knowing whether or not someone threw away As or Ks... your calculations that we're actually way behind are very silly.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you are running hot.
All in
:D

If you are running neutral.
Fold
:(

If you have been running not so hot.
Fold
:mad:

I decide Coin Flips based on how I have been playing.
If I feel good about it.
I push All in.
icon14.gif

If not I Fold.
icon13.gif

A Small edge to exploit.
icon14.gif

Everything being equal take whatever edge you can get.
icon14.gif

:D :D :D

anarchy304

anarchy304

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
syfted. thank you for the input. i realize the variances. i also knew that it was a hypothetical question. poker is a math game about unknown variables, probabilities, and mostly logic. it's also a memory game, and psychology. ah well. thanks again for your response.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10% of your BR means that you are taking atleast 10% of your BR to the table.. which means this game is too big for you and you have no place in being there.

you can buy in for 5% and if you double up you should be very close to 10% of your roll. at that point i don't think taking coin flips for it is a good idea.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can buy in for 5% and if you double up you should be very close to 10% of your roll. at that point i don't think taking coin flips for it is a good idea.

So you advocate playing progressively tighter as your stack increases?

OK how much tighter should I play when my stack reaches 120% of my buyin? How does my play become effected once my stack reaches 150%?

Why should stack size have any bearing in an equity decision?

If the odds are correct a call is mandatory.. if the odds are not correct a fold is required.

If you wouldn't call when your stack is 200BB then then why would you call when its 100BB? The risk to reward ratio is exactly the same.

More importantly, if having a stack of 200BB causes you to make +ev folds.. then why are you still sat at the table playing? Surely you already know that your stack size is now effecting your decisions and you should have left a while ago.

S

slon20

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Simply because of the fact that you do have a small edge should make this a fairly easy call. On the long run you will make money because you have that slight edge.

JessyMoneyAA

JessyMoneyAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would instacall in Cash Game but not in a tournament . If you're favourite you gotta call, at the end you will always be the winner.

begley01

begley01

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Instacall
Weird, never see many knits in local cash games. My cash games people call my all-in's with k-2 suited and q-10 suited.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Equity is changing if its soooted aswell. I wouldnt stack QQ pre in a FR game tbh but if its HU I insta call.

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 56.758% 56.55% 00.21% 69714036 260154.00 { QQ }
Hand 1: 43.242% 43.03% 00.21% 53051544 260154.00 { AKo }

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 53.951% 53.73% 00.22% 22082460 89058.00 { QQ }
Hand 1: 46.049% 45.83% 00.22% 18834720 89058.00 { AKs }

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So you advocate playing progressively tighter as your stack increases?

OK how much tighter should I play when my stack reaches 120% of my buyin? How does my play become effected once my stack reaches 150%?

Why should stack size have any bearing in an equity decision?

If the odds are correct a call is mandatory.. if the odds are not correct a fold is required.

If you wouldn't call when your stack is 200BB then then why would you call when its 100BB? The risk to reward ratio is exactly the same.

More importantly, if having a stack of 200BB causes you to make +ev folds.. then why are you still sat at the table playing? Surely you already know that your stack size is now effecting your decisions and you should have left a while ago.
i was trying to say if you buy in for 5% of your bankroll. if you just more than double up you now have 10% of your whole bankroll in front of you. at that point i would leave not play tighter. and buy in for what should be <5% of your bankroll at another table. IMO you shouldn't risk more than 10% of your bankroll on one hand. especially when it's a coin flip.

N

nykel88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What? your going to call QQ on cash game with no flop yet rather than in the tourny? Well in my case I'd fold QQ if i don't see the flop in cash games but tournys I'd call. not to lose even more of my bank roll.

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand actually came up in my live game tonight, except for the fact that I was short stacked. I doubled up. Easy call.

U

UFCcantstopme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No

Your friend is not insane, yes i know AK is only AK high, but in that situation a QQ vs AK is almost a coinflip. If you do not want to risk 10% of your br on a flip of a coin, than you would most likely fold the QQ. If you are a good poker player, you do not risk your tournament life or money on coinflips all the time, you play hands out and try to win the cash.

S

santa fe slim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a cash game: insta call
Tournamament:Umm it depends. Late/in the money: insta call, very early with a large field MAYBE not.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If its 10% of stack it has to be a call.

He's on a 6 outer and surely it's worth 10% of your stack to KO him.

Even 10% br I'd be quite tempted to go for it.

No-one likes a coin-flip but in this case, I think, ya gotta go for it.

AnthonyENG

AnthonyENG

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Instacall
Weird, never see many knits in local cash games. My cash games people call my all-in's with k-2 suited and q-10 suited.

ive seen it on line too, its crazy what people call with, QQ call imo.

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
QQ vs AK heads up for 10% of my stack? Fold? Are you serious? If you are folding this is a cash game, you have no business sitting down in the first place.

L

lewis010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I gave my friend the following ridiculous cash game hypothetical:

Folds to CO, who moves All-in for 10% of your bankroll. You have him covered. He also flips over his hand, AhKs. You look down at QhQs on the button.

I told him he was about 55% to 45% to win (actually 56.1% to 43.4%). He advocated folding because it wasn't worth the variance.

I argued that the edges in poker are so small that to fold in this spot would be absolutely insane.

The blinds are in the pot. They have really, really low odds of holding big pocket pairs since you hold the QQ and your opponent holds the AK.

Is my friend a risk-averse nit? Or does his variance argument actually have some merit?

well, i think that qq is an insta call in the most situations, and as you see QQ is 55% to 45% vs ak so calling is the right option here

S

Syfted

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your friend is not insane, yes i know AK is only AK high, but in that situation a QQ vs AK is almost a coinflip. If you do not want to risk 10% of your br on a flip of a coin, than you would most likely fold the QQ. If you are a good poker player, you do not risk your tournament life or money on coinflips all the time, you play hands out and try to win the cash.

It is NOT a coin flip. It's 55% to 45%. I'm arguing that your edges in poker are so small that you can't turn down ANY situation where you have the slightest edge. The nitty play you advocate is a huge shot to our EV.

Where do you draw the line? 60 to 40? 65 to 35?

T

Trippin_Aces

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ

If your QQ is heads up and your stack covers then its an instant call as mentioned.

P

pokermatch

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
It actually has some merit, but it really depends on the situation. If your
in a cash game and you have a huge bankroll, and you know that even
if you lose this, it won't cause some great dent in your games to come,
you definitly call. If you however dont... then you should fold, hell you
shouldn't be playing those stacks if you do. But lets say your in a tourney
and you are the second chip leader... and the chip leader has Ace King...
If you get nocked out there, you could lose it all, and it would be better
for you to fold a lot of the time, Especiallyyy if your a good player and
u know that most likely you will be able to win the tourney through out
the series of hands.

pedroman7

pedroman7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are times when you could make a fold like this in a tournament but never in a cash game gotta call 100% of the time.

Folding in Poker