Folding way too much at micros, probably going to keep folding

M

MidnightSleepless

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So I had a bit to drink last night and mixed with online poker normally spells disaster for my bankroll. Except for last night.

A few hands of note (all played at 2c5c zoom)

Hand 1
Hero AsQs
Raise 2.5x
Villan button calls
Flop Qc,5s,2h
Hero bets 40% pot
Villan calls
Turn 7d
Hero bets 55% pot (value from a queen??)
Villan calls
River 9c
Hero bets 50% pot (not really thinking, drunk)
Villan clicks back raise
Hero - alcohol induced snap call
Villan shows J3o
WTF???

Hand 2
Hero raise 2.5x from CO with Ac9c
Villan in sb call
Flop Qc,Tc,7c
Villan donks into me for about 75%pot
Hero calls
Turn 6s
Villan bets pot
Hero calls
River Th (shit full house???)
Villan shoves (slight over bet of pot)
Hero calls (ahh well - it's only money - damn alcohol)
Villan shows 9s7s

Hand 3
Hero raise 2.5x with As7s in co
Villan on button calls
Villan in sb calls
Flop Ad8h7d
Pot = 8bb
Sb donks for 5bb
Hero raises about 13bb
Button calls (shit!)
Sb calls (double shit)
Turn 3c
Sb checks
Hero bets 40%pot (about 19bb - dunno what I was thinking as I said drunk and I had 2 pair!!)
Button calls (triple shit)
Sb calls (hes all in at this point)
River Qs
Hero bets remaing 31bb (rest of button stack)
Button calls

Button shows 4d5d (flush draw and straight draw that both missed but thought **** it??)

Sb shows 9d8h for (for 3rd pair by river???)

I get I was very lucky on a number of those hands and i feel i was betting way too loosely and not really thinking... but the amount of crap that villans were showing up with!!!

I feel I am paranoid about better hands beating me all the time, checking when out of position and then folding when the big bet comes on turn or river.

I still think check folding is the safer line I'm just amazed at how much people are trying to bluff/over valuing their hands

Anyway just wanted to share a few fairly profitable if not best played hands

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at micro-limits, this behavior of opponents no longer surprises me, good luck and more profitable evenings, even with alcohol:)

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I had a bit to drink last night and mixed with online poker normally spells disaster for my bankroll. Except for last night.

Hand 1
Hero AsQs
Raise 2.5x
Villan button calls
Flop Qc,5s,2h
Hero bets 40% pot
Villan calls
Turn 7d
Villan calls
River 9c
Villan clicks back raise
Villan shows J3o
WTF???

Hand 2
Villan in sb call
Flop Qc,Tc,7c
Hero calls
Turn 6s
Villan bets pot
Hero calls
Villan shows 9s7s

Hand 3
Villan on button calls
Villan in sb calls
Flop Ad8h7d
Pot = 8bb
Sb donks for 5bb
Hero raises about 13bb
Button calls (shit!)
Sb calls (double shit)
Turn 3c
Sb checks
Hero bets 40%pot (about 19bb - dunno what I was thinking as I said drunk and I had 2 pair!!)
River Qs
Button calls

Button shows 4d5d (flush draw and straight draw that both missed but thought **** it??)

I get I was very lucky on a number of those hands and i feel i was betting way too loosely and not really thinking... but the amount of crap that villans were showing up with!!!

I feel I am paranoid about better hands beating me all the time, checking when out of position and then folding when the big bet comes on turn or river.

I still think check folding is the safer line I'm just amazed at how much people are trying to bluff/over valuing their hands

There's been some funny shit happening at micros lately. You think the J reraise on the river was funny, I triple barreled with top pair vs a station recently and got called on the river and he had J high, he didn't reraise, he just called with a hand that was very clearly garbage. This is with literally no history vs this player so its not even like he was exploiting me or anything.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your opponents clearly overestimated their hands. Although there is another option. They may have drunk even more alcohol than you.

H

hartmann2508

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They were probably more drunk than you, they clearly played like beginners ... silly mistakes ...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This post is from the mid of the COVID-19 boom, which perhaps explain some of the action. However I dont think, its all that unusual for a 5NL game, and Heros actions were generally not that crazy.

Hand 1 TPTK with AQ
Going for 3 streets of value with a strong TPTK on a fairly dry runout is perfectly fine and standard. When Villain raise us on the river, this is the time, where micro stakes logic normally dictate, that we should womit and fold, because he will usually show us two pair or better.

However when he click it back, I would probably also hate life and pay him off, and I would also be "WTF just happened", when he flipped over a completely random bluff. The best explanation is, that he was on BTN and trying to make a float play. Or he was more drunk than you.

Hand 2 Nut flush with A9s
I love, how you played this hand! Usually fast playing is the best strategy, so its kind of tempting to raise that donk bet. But when you have the nut flush specifically, he can not have the nut flush draw, and this remove part of his range, which can call a raise. It also mean, that you dont need to be afraid of another flush card. At worst this might kill action, but you will still have the nuts.

On the river the board pair, which is not, what we were hoping for, but how many boats can he realistically have? QQ probably 3-bet pre, and TT is now only 1 combo. 77, QT and maybe T7s makes sense, but we are still only looking at 12 combos, and then there are all the other hands, he might play like this. Including just some random bluffs, which it is not to surpricing to see a donk better show up with.

Hand 3 Top and bottom pair with A7
This is also a very well played hand. Raising that donk bet with top and bottom is certainly the right play, and so is stacking it off on such a clean runout as this. There are no straight or flush draws, that got there, and only AQ made a better two pair.

As for their hands 4d5d probably misread the board and thought, he had turned a straight. This is something, you will see more frequently at the lowest limits like 2NL and 5NL. As for 9d8h he was just a non-believer. This is something, you see all the time in the micros, and the reason why thin value betting is so hugely profitable against recreational players, while big multistreet bluffs are not.

H

hartmann2508

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
today we can no longer surprise ourselves with this, it has become profiles, sometimes a little difficult to read himself..🤔🤔🤔

B

BatOneHat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ah micros

Hand 1
Hero AsQs
Raise 2.5x
Villan button calls
Flop Qc,5s,2h
Hero bets 40% pot
Villan calls
Turn 7d
Villan calls
River 9c
Villan clicks back raise
Villan shows J3o
WTF???

Hand 2
Villan in sb call
Flop Qc,Tc,7c
Hero calls
Turn 6s
Villan bets pot
Hero calls
Villan shows 9s7s

Hand 3
Villan on button calls
Villan in sb calls
Flop Ad8h7d
Pot = 8bb
Sb donks for 5bb
Hero raises about 13bb
Button calls (shit!)
Sb calls (double shit)
Turn 3c
Sb checks
River Qs
Button calls

At that stake it’s not to surprising. In general, respect the river bet, fold to most bets where you need a draw, stay in the tournament.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've actually stopped playing cash since the early days of COVID when I couldn't get a fold from anyone and some real unbelievable hands would get there on the river. I realise some people would take good advantage of this situation but I felt the poker gods were against me and quit.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Any pair plays.. and Pre-flop raise makes them more likely to call!

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are some really really bad players in the micros because of the pandemic. Nothing worse than 3 betting with aces and getting 5 callers.

R

RicardoInciarte

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well yes this is very crazy, I think I have live some of that situation but I wasn't so lucky I was playing on 888poker same stake NL5 cause I had 5 box and almost never play there anymore so I'm saying What the heck... My surprise I was doing ok until I got KK and then I'm on the button someone before me raise I 3bet and he goes all in and I'm thinking ''Oh what the hell I'm not folding hoping to se Aces'' it was T9s !!!! two nines come on turn and river so no more poker for me that night hehe... hope you get more lucky nights with crazy players ehehe

Folding in Poker