Folding top two

C

clockerfields

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm viewed as TAG on table. Effective stacks $400 each ($1/$2 NLHE). I raise to $15 on button with KQ (off suit). I get four callers. Flop comes KQJ rainbow.
I bet $50 and get one caller (Aggressive type). Turn comes blank 4. I bet $70 and he shoves remaining stack of $300. Set, I don't think so. A/10 maybe but doubtful. After deliberating for two minutes, I fold and he doesn't show.
Thoughts??

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First thought was "You're playing poker, son!"

You got any more detailed stats on that villain?

O

oMONSTERo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you read him as not having a set and doubtful on the straight A high. You bet 70 into a 160 + pot. The question I think you should think about is what type of hand did he put you on and will this player shove weak thinking you will fold. But still not enough info for me to pick a direction.

M

Mazak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO straight but set is also possible because this 4 on the turn shouldn't change anything in this hand.

P

Pessoa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe you should have checked the turn.

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm viewed as TAG on table. Effective stacks $400 each ($1/$2 NLHE). I raise to $15 on button with KQ (off suit). I get four callers. Flop comes KQJ rainbow. I bet $50 and get one caller (Aggressive type).

So far, so good.

Turn comes blank 4. I bet $70 and he shoves remaining stack of $300. Set, I don't think so. A/10 maybe but doubtful. After deliberating for two minutes, I fold and he doesn't show.
Thoughts??
As for the rest, there's not enough information given. What does "aggressive type" mean? He didn't repop pre, and flatting doesn't seem very aggressive. Can he get trappy with aces? Kings? Would he play a Big Slick this way? What would he do with pocket jacks, given his position?

Of I knew this player to be a nit/TAG, I'd expect to be looking at trip jacks here. If he really is aggro, and you can eliminate kings and queens from his range, then why couldn't he have (AT)? He could also have pocket aces, and is now trying to get value from TPTK, if he's that aggro. He could also have TPTK and is now trying to play you off the same hand.

Given a likely range, Equilab says "call"

Board: JKQ 4
Equity Win Tie
MP2 38.05% 35.45% 2.60% { AA, JJ-TT, ATs+, KTs+, ATo+, KTo+ }
BU 61.95% 59.36% 2.60% { KdQh }

If this were an "unknown", then it's a definite call here.

Without knowing more about this player, I can't tell.

J

jolaz69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it's good to make the donkey call.

Rounder_740

Rounder_740

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the correct play was to bet the turn. I don't think you can give him a free view of the card if he's sitting on a weak king 10 suited or something like that. The flop is scary for your hand but your thought process seemed right on. Definitely no set or he would have reraised preflop with jacks or better. Even if he limped there there's no way he's not raising on that flop. The turn doesn't do anything so even if he had the straight you were beat before. He either had the straight or was on a weak face card and drawing to one. It's all a gut call in my opinion but only hand he beats you with is the nuts

A

abitrandom82

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limp call raise preflop in position .. I would put J-10, Q-10s,9-10 ,in his range. Sets unlikely, I can't honestly put someone on flopping the nuts unless i have super nit stats on the player and I'd have to abide... but this move screams
To me you had the best hand on turn.. but he happen to hit a glaring double draw on the turn and he tried to push you off of it.

Or he had 2-3 like the dude said above

ger008t

ger008t

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By folding you gave all the reasons in the world for a min bet steal

G

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you bet so small OTT you have to call it off. OTF you bet $50 into $70 so OTT the pot is $170, when you bet small you induce bluffs from his Pair+OESD hands. After betting so small you literally can't fold unless he is a nit.

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I doubt that he would raise all in if he didnt have at least 3 of a kind but if hes aggressive player he could bluff. I need more informations about the hand but probaly it was a good fold

H

hcpalli

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You said you were the button but it seems like your OOP.
Or did he check raise you all in on the turn?

S

Sebas1006

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If I were you I wouldve definitely checkd the turn but it's always like this when you play against aggressive players. In my opinion he probably had A-K. Anyway, better luck next time buddy.

M

Mendex

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Btw he could be doing this with poket 44 and hit a set on the turn. Assumed u had the TPTK and wanted to get maximun value. Was he a loose or tight player? If he was loose u had to consider the possibility of a set of 4s.
Or a flash draw. I guess folding or calling is fine in this situation. But had he made anyother big bluffs before? I guess if you think he was bluffing or capable of shoving with less than 2 pairs in a scary board then u should have called.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you mentioned his position. This situation is more a question of do you have the money to buy back in. How much longer did you want to play. No money and lots of time equals fold. Otherwise call based on the info you provided.

Folding in Poker