Folding Queens

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this spot I felt I was up against a premium but are we always laying this down?

Blinds 25/50c

Villan 1 HJ raises to $1.25 with around $32 in stack

Hero on button with QQ $37.50 3 bets to $4.75

BB shoves for $6.70

Hj flats

Hero calls

Flop

8d 4h 9s

HJ shoves remaining stack

Hero ??

Villan 35 vpip only stats on villan over small sample

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With just roughly looking at the math, it seems that you are getting about 2:1 on the call. Only needing 33% equity for it to be profitable, I think this is a call. Villain didn't shove over the all in player, so take out AA, KK. He does have a lot of medium pairs in his hand that you beat, don't think he would shove if he hit the set as he will want value.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With just roughly looking at the math, it seems that you are getting about 2:1 on the call. Only needing 33% equity for it to be profitable, I think this is a call. Villain didn't shove over the all in player, so take out AA, KK. He does have a lot of medium pairs in his hand that you beat, don't think he would shove if he hit the set as he will want value.

I almost lent towards call but I just felt he had a premium although he played it badly he turned over KK
I felt he wanted to make it look bluffy

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I would call unless I knew the opponent or the game was tight.

With a low SPR villain can shove fairly light here, so you're not going always going to be beat, and as mentioned, you only need to win 1/3rd of the time.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy call...I can't see how someone will fold here.

And why this stack? It's better to play NL25 with deep stack, than NL50 with shorter stack.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I almost lent towards call but I just felt he had a premium although he played it badly he turned over KK

In that spot you went with your gut and made the correct play or read. But the way it was written I would have called. Always have a road map you want to take with your hand, QQ is too strong and I would be playing for stacks preflop if someone shoved, specially the player to the right just flatted. If they both have a range of 22+, AQs+, AKos you have about 50% equity with 2 other players.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree he played it badly. If he was going to slow play pre he should x flop or make smaller bet 1/3 or 1/2 pot max. Then the turn will jam will be very small compared to the pot and we wont be able to fold in most cases. He set his trap then lit it on fire. As mentioned he should be 5 betting pre with KK+ but flatting some is fine for this reason. What's not fine is jamming a 9 high bone dry flop in a 4 bet pot OOP from the only action left allowing a hero fold instead of getting stacks in. I would have also called as his sets and KK+ on this flop have no reason to be jamming and his KK+ should be 5 betting pre at some frequency.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree he played it badly. If he was going to slow play pre he should x flop or make smaller bet 1/3 or 1/2 pot max. Then the turn will jam will be very small compared to the pot and we wont be able to fold in most cases. He set his trap then lit it on fire. As mentioned he should be 5 betting pre with KK+ but flatting some is fine for this reason. What's not fine is jamming a 9 high bone dry flop in a 4 bet pot OOP from the only action left allowing a hero fold instead of getting stacks in. I would have also called as his sets and KK+ on this flop have no reason to be jamming and his KK+ should be 5 betting pre at some frequency.

This is why I was leaning towards call as I didn't feel sets or AA or KK would play it this way but something in me just felt he was trying to make it look bluffy. Do we think I should be going back over the top here or is calling pre the right play?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is why I was leaning towards call as I didn't feel sets or AA or KK would play it this way but something in me just felt he was trying to make it look bluffy. Do we think I should be going back over the top here or is calling pre the right play?
I assume it would be capped as the BB jam is not a legal raise for Hero but HJ still has the option. In some places I have heard that if a player jams for more than half a legal raise that it re-opens the betting but in general I think BB would need to have $8.25 in order for us to come over the top and try to punish what looks like a capped range from HJ. Given the option I would come over the top against a competent player and may flat against nittier players in position who may not have a 5 bet range.

T

TetraTap

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just have to call. The maths, pot odds and raw equity of the hand is too good.

H

Hanosch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Without any further read i would feel like this is pretty much my opinion. But i guess it depends on the level as well. If u play rock bottom, villain can have anything from KJ up to set...

Folding in Poker