Folding Pocket Aces post-flop?

T

trebor1993

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hopefully someone can give some input on this hand.
Recently playing full ring 1-3 cash
I open from the cut off with pocket aces to 13.
The button and small blind call.
Flop comes 10 6 5, two spades. I have the ace of spades.
I lead out for 25 into a pot of 40.
The button raises to 75. Small blind folds and I shove over the top for 280 total.
He calls showing two pair, he called with 10-6 suited.
The turn and river come Q and J. No help.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It also could have been set or a flush I ubiese equaled 75 and seeing that appeared in the turn if you will in oll would think quite whether to call or fold am inclined to the fold greetings.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Against most players I don't play for almost a full stack with just an over pair.

If he calls you with such a bad hand pre-flop you can get his money either by winning many small pots - or big ones when you have a top two pair,set or better.

You have also to decide if he is a passive calling station both pre and post. Or if he can raise with a semi-bluff or overvalue top pair.

Wen you come over the top and go all-in you can normally just hope to be called by a good draw or that he folds.

Few players raise and call with a ten here for example.

And if he is a passive calling station he doesn't raise you on the flop with a draw or a ten. Against this kind of players you just call or even fold when they raise.

If he is aggressive you sometimes have the best hand when he raises with draws, but in that case mostly just call.

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thats just how it goes sometimes. Hard to fold AA on a board like that, but you did have 2 callers to your 4x open.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty sucky spot, but I agree with pentazepam, that you should at least not 3-bet him on the flop. Against most players I am probably calling on the flop and folding to significant further aggression later. You can use the stack to pot ratio (SPR) as a rough guide. Here it was 7, and for more than 6, stacking off an overpair require a special read or reason.

Also you went large preflop, but apparently not large enough to prevent two players to call you, and at least one of them with a pretty speculative hand. So maybe go even larger and punish them for that need to see a lot of flops and try to hit something.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel like you made the right decision with your bet. Unfortunately a player with no reason playing the hand caught his two pair.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would also have made that knee jerk move because its very difficult to put your opponent on that type of hand.

I have had many times where I busted out and I keep saying why?

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At this point on the flop you could just hope that a villain is holding a flush draw, it was more than obvious that he had a competitive hand here. Two pairs right on the flop still had you alive in this hand but no luck for another ace or another pair...You could think of folding your aces but i believe that move flushed down the toilet when you decided to put another 25 to the pot ( and that's not a wrong play at all ). A lot of players question what is involvement of luck in this game and here it is, a classic lack of luck in your case, better luck next time, because to be frank with you, i would do the same here, there is a bunch of situations where i would fold aces but this one definitely not.

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You have the best starting hand, never fold pre flop.
If you were playing at poker stars bad beats are very
common.( joker stars)

A

ashleycoor123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah its really hard to give up on that pocket As

vavilen_

vavilen_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there are a lot of draws on the board, we don’t always see there a set and 2 pairs + if we sort out the combinations there are enough hands that we beat.

_EPG_

_EPG_

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did you have any history on the villain up to this point? It's tough/borderline impossible to accurately put someone on a hand with a sample size of 1. If the villain had shown a history of loose play/calling raises preflop with ATC, that provides more red flags. How had they played overpairs/sets/draws in the past? Lots of variables, which makes this a beautiful game.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hopefully someone can give some input on this hand.
Recently playing full ring 1-3 cash
I open from the cut off with pocket aces to 13.
The button and small blind call.
Flop comes 10 6 5, two spades. I have the ace of spades.
I lead out for 25 into a pot of 40.
The button raises to 75. Small blind folds and I shove over the top for 280 total.
He calls showing two pair, he called with 10-6 suited.
The turn and river come Q and J. No help.
I like a flat on the turn. There are a lot of card that are terrible for his range. Making it hard to Double barrel (even though they should be Double barreling 100% of thier range after a check raise)....

This spasific situation the resualt might be the same depending on how Vils aggression is. After the check raise you can let them have control of the pot, and just try and get to showdown. Worest case senario they should barrel the turn. Then check river, we can check back river cause I dont think your getting anything to call that we are beating, and your not getting anything to fold that we are losing too....

By doing this you dont lose your entire stack.

Folding in Poker