Folding Pocket Aces

D

dumpy620_84

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never fold aces preflop. you've got the best hand if he suckouts he sucksout.

BrentD22

BrentD22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sats are the only place that folding AA makes sense if you are really close to winning your seat. Of course this only makes sense if you are sure you will make it and win the seat.

FOLDING AA IN ANY OTHER SITUATION PRE-FLOP IS THE WRONG THING TO DO. IF YOUR NERVOUS OF BEING DRAWN OUT ON THEN JUST GO ALL IN AND SEE WHO CALLS. LOWER POCKET PAIRS AND MAYBE AK OR AQ. MOST TIMES YOU'LL BE OK CAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT COULD CALL YOU WOULD HAVE TO GET REALLY LUCKY TO BEAT THOSE ROCKETS.

tiltboy

tiltboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with this fold. The payment structure is equal from 1-33 so theres no need to risk all for 1st place in this situation.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep a no-brainer, fold.

If you called his 72o and he caught a set, knocking you out, you would be too embarrassed to post your 'bad beat'... boy that would hurt...

rwilson

rwilson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont understand the logic that if he is maniac we should call? It really doesnt matter what cards he has unless he has an A here, which is unlucky since we have 2 of them. The difference between 92o and KK isnt very substantial.

KK vs 92o? I'd say a 5:1 advantage is a pretty substantial difference in this game!

Anyways, I may agree with this fold assuming you had so many chips that you could hit the "sit out" button and still make the money. If you were in a position where you may have had to play other hands to ensure you made the money at some point then you should have instantly snap called this. You're at worst a bit better than 80% favourite to your opponents range here. If someone's willing to hand over their stack then why wouldn't you take it?

So yeah, if you were DEFINITELY not going to have to play any more hands to finish in the money then why bother, but if there was even the slightest doubt in your mind that you'd have to play again then this is an insta call. You're going to be a 5:1 fav roughly to DOUBLE UP here, ensuring you make the money. Don't get that opportunity handed to you on a plate very often

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its not KK v 92 (7 to 1) its AA v KK or 92 and kings are only about 3 to 2 better than trash vs aces. I agree with rest of your post just clarifying the point that was made.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO its a bad decision to fold AA pre-flop to an all in raise.

although given the payout structure it was probably a wise choice

theskillzdatklls

theskillzdatklls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yup, its the biggest test of will power of all time. I've been in that situation where the field size is 110% of the bubble. I fold AK, KK, never folded AA yet, but I probably would. Once I was a complete moron before i even contemplated satellite strategy... w/o thinking went all in w/ AQs on the bubble of a sat like that, thankfully no one called, but .. wow.. what a bad play.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
awesome, another one of these threads

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think its the same one that keeps coming back

roland cote

roland cote

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have done exactly the sme thing in a couple of tournamets. Especially close to ITN. Why chance it? You have plenty of chips, your going o get your token, and you can wait for a better situation. I agree wholeheartedly! Course that's just me!

R

rubslotionskin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well folding aces....yes great play.....but sitting out? not so much......sure its a sat tournament and all ya gotta do is make top 33....but you cant make top 33 if ya dont take people out.....i'd stay active and play short stacks as much as possible (with good cards obviously)

W

wsthesis

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is correct.

If your aces lose, you earn $0.00. Run aces versus random hands preflop and you'll note that aces are definitely not a lock.
Even a-x versus aces is only a 93/7 favorite.

There's a section about it in Harrington On Hold'Em.

Folding in Poker